Ovens and Murray Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas. Just interested in how you blokes rate your league compared to the Canberra League?

After playing in both leagues, but only for a year in canberra. I'd say the O&M is a much stronger leauge with greater depth of players. The Canberra league has some stars that a lured by the money available but the depth of quality players drops off fairly quickly.

If it was a Interleague Match i'd say the O&M by 12 goals.

After playing in both leagues, but only for a year in canberra. I'd say the O&M is a much stronger leauge with greater depth of players. The Canberra league has some stars that a lured by the money available but the depth of quality players drops off fairly quickly.

If it was a Interleague Match i'd say the O&M by 12 goals.
big call , afl canberra won the country championships last year runner up the one before and also won the one before that. Sydney swans reserves are sitting outside the four this year. There is not as many teams but id be pretty safe in saying a 12 goal win for o & m would not happen. although o and m this year seems to be very strong, hope yarra win another flag, i have watched them play twice in two grand finals and win both. albury v yarra or wang v yarra would be good. albury seem to be looking as good as they did years ago when tony way was putting on clinics week in week out , never seen someone run so straight. :thumbsu:
their is a good post on this topic on afl canberra site as well

Don't know why some of you guys think the Wang Magpies will challenge this year they are in the mix but no where near the level Albury have been at, cleary the best team followed by Yarrawonga.
Joel Mackie has been the star of the first half of the season he has had some really great games against the top teams that have won some close games for Albury.

Don't know why some of you guys think the Wang Magpies will challenge this year they are in the mix but no where near the level Albury have been at, cleary the best team followed by Yarrawonga.
Joel Mackie has been the star of the first half of the season he has had some really great games against the top teams that have won some close games for Albury.

Lewis#3 you are bang on the money that Albury have clearly been the best team in the competition this year and have taken it to another level, however, the Magpies are not too far behind.
Their biggest losing margin this year was against the Tigers by just 21pts in the first round, it was a great match and one that both sides could have won.
Since then they have lost three matches by under 10 pts and in fourth position and could jump to third if they beat Wodonga this week.

Lewis#3 you are bang on the money that Albury have clearly been the best team in the competition this year and have taken it to another level, however, the Magpies are not too far behind.
Their biggest losing margin this year was against the Tigers by just 21pts in the first round, it was a great match and one that both sides could have won.
Since then they have lost three matches by under 10 pts and in fourth position and could jump to third if they beat Wodonga this week.

maggies have been disrupted by injuries in the 1st half of the year and have been required to make too many changes to the side meaning that it has been hard to get any real momentum up. they still haven't been far off in any of their losses, and the games against yarra and alb, widely considered the best 2 in the comp, were up for grabs into time on in the last quarter. the losses that have really hurt them were to lavi and c/r again in close matches

a better run at it with injuries, the addition of m lappin up forward in enough games to qualify him for the finals and possibly sam higgs to the midfield will see them there again when the whips are cracking no doubt

massive game this week at wodonga with the winner well placed to grab the double chance in the finals

Whos been best player? J.MACKIE (HANDY PICK UP)
Best teams? ALBURY
Will the teams in the 5 now stay there? YES
Biggest headline to come? PLAYER TOUCHS UMP!
Whats to expect in the last half of the year? BRADDERS TO LEAVE THE BULLYS

Interesting to see Matthew Lappin play for Wangaratta on the weekend only kicked one goal and that came late in the last quarter. The Bulldogs big 59 point winners there puts Wangaratta in a tough spotto make the top 3 as they have to play Albury this week.

Interesting to see Matthew Lappin play for Wangaratta on the weekend only kicked one goal and that came late in the last quarter. The Bulldogs big 59 point winners there puts Wangaratta in a tough spotto make the top 3 as they have to play Albury this week.

Will make it tough as Albury had another big win against the Raiders and are playing a super brand of footy at the moment.

Lappin played most of the match and his goal came in the 2nd qtr not the last. Threatened at times particularly in the 2nd quarter but missed a couple of chances, finished with 1.3 or 1.4.

abysmal effort from the maggies on sat in such an important game. in context sat was their 1st real downer for the year given the other losses have generally been close ones and were games they were in until very late. on sat they pretty much gone by 1/4 time

will be interesting to see how they respond v alb in a couple of weeks. suspect they will come out with a point to prove and put up a good show, whether it will be enough to get the bikkies tho is another question

Whos the under-rated players for teams that are a chance of playing finals footbal in 2009? We all know the guns. But who are the players who might slip under the oppositions guard when the real stuff starts and turn a game?

Under rated player slipping under the guard

1. Albury - Everyone is a name at Albury it seems but one that hasn't been getting as much press as his team mates is Ben Fixter - if he gets his body right he could be a weapon comes finals.
2. Yarra - Henderson - tall, athletic, moves around well across half forward and does a discipline job down back. Very much a swing man for the pigeons.
3. Wodonga - Laracy is one that seems to typify when the bulldogs are up and about - his pace on a fast september track could be very valuable for the dogs
4. North - Kade Brown - for much the same reason as Laracy, lightning quick and uses it pretty well. Runs forward of the ball so tends to get on the end of a few forward forays.
5. Wang - heavy reliance on A-grade midfield so if they are beaten then no one. I do like the way Daine Porter goes about his buisness.
6. Corowa - Matt Witherden, gives his all, very dogged around a contest and seems to go all day.

I think these are the only teams still left in finals calculations.

Whos the under-rated players for teams that are a chance of playing finals footbal in 2009? We all know the guns. But who are the players who might slip under the oppositions guard when the real stuff starts and turn a game?

Albury- luke carroll is one of the best players in the comp but with the stars at tigerland these days doesnt get much attention but gives plenty of drive from half back and can run thru the middle and still be influencal on the game.

Yarra- Mchenry has had to play in the ruck for most of the year with svarc being injuried. has done a very good job considering he is not a ruckman. will be handy when svarc is back and free him to go either forward or back.

Wodonga- Brent lewington is still only a kid but would be coming close to 100 games in the not too distant future. that sort of expirence will be vital in the finals and he is more than capable of doing a job in the midfield or he can go forward and kick goals.

North- Ben Ryan has been the recurit of the season outside of albury. has done a fantastic job in the ruck for the hoppers with eames missing most of the year to date and hodgson also missing game with injury ryan has stood tall and done the job.

Wang- Shaun Gannon has come back to the comp this year and has been playing some very very good footy. doesnt get the same attention as jonny mc but is just as important. also matt kelly has been fairly handy this year.

Cowora- not that they will make the finals but if they do look out for mick collins. tall defender who runs. has played some good footy and come september a tall that can run is a good asset to any team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gannon?, he hasnt been playing that well

agree he hasn't been playing great footy in the games i've seen. think someone mentioned matt kelly in an earlier post, i reckon he's the 1 that flies under the radar at wang amongst their midfielders. never saw him play in the O&K but if fit surely he just dominated games out there. has had a very solid season to date for the maggies

agree he hasn't been playing great footy in the games i've seen. think someone mentioned matt kelly in an earlier post, i reckon he's the 1 that flies under the radar at wang amongst their midfielders. never saw him play in the O&K but if fit surely he just dominated games out there. has had a very solid season to date for the maggies

Ive only seen a few games this year as im living in sydney now but i reckon the following could be the difference if they can find some form in the back half:-

Dogs - S.Paton, class act who has good goal sense and is a tackling machine. L Trew - Madman, attacks the ball and players extremely aggressively. Will be crucial for the dogs come finals time.
Tigers - J.Collins - if injury free, provides an option anywhere on the ground, plays tall or small / Ben Fixter - If fit, could destroy this league!
Yarra - Svarc - underated ruckmen, very smart player and uses the ball well.
Magpies - ?
Nth Albury - Big Eames, will be handful for opposition clubs if even 60% fit.

Lavington people, what has happened to Bill Neely ? He looked like he was playing at no higher than 30% yesterday.
He came back to this comp with overwhelming raps and rightly so because he has been one the best midfeidlers in country Australia for the past 7 or 8 years, but has been an absolute shadow of his former self in his return to the O&M. What the hell has happened ! I went along to Yarra yesterday to see him play back at the J.C Lowe for the first time for the best part of a decade and to me did not seem to sprint once. For a young bloke that i new who had an unbeleivable workrate & one that he carried to the SANFL & ACTAFL to "run" around like that yesterday was uncomprehendable. He had his knee strapped yesterday. Is that his problem ? Lavington would have had smiles from ear to ear when they signed him but those smiles would have certainly turned into frowns yesterday. I hope he comes good because he has obviously been a great player at when he's in full flight there are non better to watch at any level :thumbsu:

Lavington people, what has happened to Bill Neely ? He looked like he was playing at no higher than 30% yesterday.
He came back to this comp with overwhelming raps and rightly so because he has been one the best midfeidlers in country Australia for the past 7 or 8 years, but has been an absolute shadow of his former self in his return to the O&M. What the hell has happened ! I went along to Yarra yesterday to see him play back at the J.C Lowe for the first time for the best part of a decade and to me did not seem to sprint once. For a young bloke that i new who had an unbeleivable workrate & one that he carried to the SANFL & ACTAFL to "run" around like that yesterday was uncomprehendable. He had his knee strapped yesterday. Is that his problem ? Lavington would have had smiles from ear to ear when they signed him but those smiles would have certainly turned into frowns yesterday. I hope he comes good because he has obviously been a great player at when he's in full flight there are non better to watch at any level :thumbsu:

Interesting to hear you say that. I read that he kicked 3 goals and got in the best yesterday so I thought he was back to somewhere near the form he was showing in the first 7 weeks. Maybe that is a bit misleading. Seems to struglgle to win the contested footy and picks up a fair few posseions in the back half from what people have been saying. Lavington after making the grand final will probley miss the 5 this year whih is a big surprise to some people as they havn't lost that many key players.

Interesting to hear you say that. I read that he kicked 3 goals and got in the best yesterday so I thought he was back to somewhere near the form he was showing in the first 7 weeks. Maybe that is a bit misleading. Seems to struglgle to win the contested footy and picks up a fair few posseions in the back half from what people have been saying. Lavington after making the grand final will probley miss the 5 this year whih is a big surprise to some people as they havn't lost that many key players.

lavington have struggled this season without a key forward, also injuries to their key players all at the one time have not helped. eg steveo, schilgy, butler and of recent weeks pendergast and norton smith.. but injuries are a part of footy and every club has them, but at least it has given them the chance to blood some kids with marshall brown , aaron thompson and angus mc diarmid all holding their own on their debuts yesterday...

lavington have struggled this season without a key forward, also injuries to their key players all at the one time have not helped. eg steveo, schilgy, butler and of recent weeks pendergast and norton smith.. but injuries are a part of footy and every club has them, but at least it has given them the chance to blood some kids with marshall brown , aaron thompson and angus mc diarmid all holding their own on their debuts yesterday...

I agree harry with blooding the young fellas but dont you think Timba has left it a little to late? As a direct result, it might even be the end of him at the Panthers due to a lot of disgruntled players. What are your thoughts?

I agree harry with blooding the young fellas but dont you think Timba has left it a little to late? As a direct result, it might even be the end of him at the Panthers due to a lot of disgruntled players. What are your thoughts?

i think it might be a bit premature to say it could be the end of timba corey, and im not sure of the disgruntled players either mate but i guess we will find out more as the season progresses.... i dont think its all doom and gloom at panther park just yet....

Raiders slowly gaining momentum, great to see! Couldn't help but notice a couple of ex raider boys in kahlefeldt and fife making waves in the QAFL this season. Would be handy for raiders now.

Syd Guilford Player of the Year Rnd 10 Leaderboard:
19: Paul Shelton (Morningside)
19: Jeff White (Redland)
18: Nathan Gilliland (Mt Gravatt)
18: Jarred Ilett (NT Thunder)
17: Matt Fife (Broadbeach)
17: Jacob Gough (Morningside)
16: Peter MacFarlane (NT Thunder)
16: Justin Kahlefeldt (Southport)
16: Phil Carse (Redland)

Refer to recent posts by "onefootlong". lol

Status