Universal Love Overlooked/unheralded moments from the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Fritsch missing a flying shot on goal at the start of the third (also from the first centre clearance IIRC) also important, possibly could have avoided a lot of stress if that goes through by starting the third with a quick goal.
The smother on Harmes early in the 3rd was probably a 12 point turnaround.

I enjoyed Oliver’s smother on Daniels leading to Trac spearing the ball to TMac 40 out straight in front of goal.

I hope I’m not blending two events in my head there. I need to watch another replay. It’s hard to take in lots of stuff in the 4th because it just became surreal. I just remember laughing lots and saying Ogodogodogodogodogod

Lastly, everyone notices Langdons gut running to score a goal from the backline and rightly so. But none of it would have happened without Trent Rivers who instinctively and perfectly taps it in front of him.

Came here to post this. I think we were 42 points up at the time. It wasn't just the tap to Langdon but the chase prior to that as well. JJ was streaking towards goal in a game that looked cooked so you could probably be forgiven for letting him go. Riv put on a great chase, got a hand on him just as he was disposing of the ball them followed up to the next contest to get the tap to Langdon. It's those sorts of efforts that drive a team to be great, so to see a second year player doing them with the game all but done is fantastic.

Last edited:

Kozzie’s whole game. Yeah he touched it four times and didn’t trouble the score board but his pressure was immense, he ran all day and may not be the size of his uncle but he throws his body around like he is. Put Dogs players on their arse and made sure it hurt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I enjoyed Oliver’s smother on Daniels leading to Trac spearing the ball to TMac 40 out straight in front of goal.

I hope I’m not blending two events in my head there. I need to watch another replay. It’s hard to take in lots of stuff in the 4th because it just became surreal. I just remember laughing lots and saying Ogodogodogodogodogod

The pressure was great moments earlier bbb put some pressure on which forced the Bulldogs to kick to that pocket which lead to Daniels getting it which lead to that goal.

The two misses from BBB and Langdon at the end of the first quarter could’ve put the Dogs on the rack early.

Conversely, if Bailey Smith’s flying shot during the second goes through instead of hitting the post, we’re in a spot of bother.

Brayshaw’s hit on Schache in the 3rd could’ve been a free kick/goal against the flow.
The Schache free was definitely there. However it was an even up scenario with Kozzy taken high only 30secs earlier with no free. I thought the umps did a pretty good job overall after watching it over a few times. I still think the Gawn non goal was a goal as well. Maxy is usually an honest campaigner and his reaction suggests it was through the big sticks.

The Schache free was definitely there. However it was an even up scenario with Kozzy taken high only 30secs earlier with no free. I thought the umps did a pretty good job overall after watching it over a few times. I still think the Gawn non goal was a goal as well. Maxy is usually an honest campaigner and his reaction suggests it was through the big sticks.
Yeah can’t remember if it was the first or third but Spargo almost had his head chopped off with Wood trying to guillotine him under his armpit. Murder day rules meant it was a ball up.

Kozzie’s whole game. Yeah he touched it four times and didn’t trouble the score board but his pressure was immense, he ran all day and may not be the size of his uncle but he throws his body around like he is. Put Dogs players on their arse and made sure it hurt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I love about Kozzy's game is that if anyone says he had a shit Grand Final you'll immediately know they have no clue about footy.

Agree with this. As great as that end to the 3rd quarter was, it was pivotal we got that first one in the last quarter. The fact we got it so easily and quickly put to rest the nerves and allowed us to simply enjoy the last quarter.
I was saying that during the 3/4 time break. Then after we got the first in the fourth, I upgraded and became sure that we had to kick the first three in the quarter to be sure of victory. Then after we kicked the first three, I became certain we needed a further ‘settler’ and so on. I honestly didn’t think we had it sewn up until about an hour after we were awarded the cup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was saying that during the 3/4 time break. Then after we got the first in the fourth, I upgraded and became sure that we had to kick the first three in the quarter to be sure of victory. Then after we kicked the first three, I became certain we needed a further ‘settler’ and so on. I honestly didn’t think we had it sewn up until about an hour after we were awarded the cup
I’m still not convinced tbh

I thought we just needed to kick 2 4th qtr goals and it would be enough. We kicked the first two very quickly and it was junk time for most of the qtr. Amazing. Imagine the Swans supporters in 2005. They can have that.

Me at 3/4 time: 'We need to kick 3 of the first 4 then have a five minute period where neither team kicks a goal'

I have just noticed an absolutely amazing thing.

As Fritch is lining up for his sixth, with about 2.40 remaining on the Fox broadcast, they pan to the non-playing MFC players standing in the race and one of them (can't work out who it is - he has his back turned to camera) is skulling a drink of some sort, while a bunch of the others cheer him on!)

I don’t know if it was intentional, but Bowey’s kick to set up the Brayshaw goal also worked perfectly. Very few options inside F50 to work with and it looks like Gus is calling for the ball while only a few metres away, and Bowey manages to perfectly drop it into a gap between various crowds of players for Gus to run onto it. If it was intentional very impressive for such a young player - would show his junior background as a forward.

I have just noticed an absolutely amazing thing.

As Fritch is lining up for his sixth, with about 2.40 remaining on the Fox broadcast, they pan to the non-playing MFC players standing in the race and one of them (can't work out who it is - he has his back turned to camera) is skulling a drink of some sort, while a bunch of the others cheer him on!)
Can confirm Jayden Hunt had a beer given to him in the players room with about 5 mins to go and drunk half then threw the rest in the air covering us all with beer. Loved it!

When Fritsch kicks the 2nd of the 4th quarter putting us 6 goals up, the players celebrate like it’s the sealer (which it probably is). Nibbler comes in at the end pointing fingers and tells the boys to switch back on, it’s not over yet (my interpretation). Ironically Nibbler kicks the next goal (which deserves full sealer celebrations).

Friends, don't you get a kick out of reading the words "Melbourne premiership player XXXX XXXXX" or "Melbourne premiership coach Simon Goodwin" where there is no linkage to 1964 (which is a fetish of Demonland)?

When in doubt, re-watch the highlights of Q3!

This is a long video but has a lot of great insights

My favourite one (20:35) is when we started dominating in the centre Treloar was matched up on Viney. Viney knew he could outmuscle treloar so when it looks like Martin is about to win the ground ball Viney just pushes Treloar into him causing a fumble, Oliver then swoops on the loose ball and we get away.

I wish I had a memory of what it was all like when it happened :(.

I needed a stiff drink when we were down in the third and by the time I sorted that we were smashing them. Celebrations clearly began in earnest because my next memory is lying on the ground crying tears of joy and screaming "Angus! Angus, I love you! I always have!" at the television.

I knew we won handsomely but the extent of it all just didn't register, I was actually a bit shocked when I saw the scores the next day. Made for a great replay tho :cool:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back