Overrated Turkey Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

CaptainCustard

Senior List
May 6, 2003
Melbourne
Other Teams
Richmond
As someone described him on another forum, these are the career stats for this overrated turkey (Richo) according to the reference material i got this from - as attached: http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matthew_Richardson.html

Played 162 Games

Kicks - Ave 10.7
Marks - Ave 7.7
H/B - Ave 2.8
Disp - Ave 13.5
Goals - Ave 2.98
Points - Ave 1.9
H/O - Ave 0.3
Tackles - Ave 0.4
Frees For - 0.75
Frees Against - 0.95

From RFC site:
2nd best and fairest 1996, 1999, 2002; All-Australian 1996, 1999; International Rules Series 1999; leading goalkicker 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002; AFL Rising Star nominee 1993; Alex Jesaulenko Medal 1996.

Make of them what you will, but i think this turkey has contributed enough to this club without having people resort to the personal insults he receives, ie, being called a turkey, a dud - amazing these names and stuff come out at the latter end of his career.

I think in a better team, with good coaching, better delivery, less injuries, maybe a better attitude as a result of having these goodies, he may well have been the best player to have ever graced our game.

He is my favourite player - I wish him well whether he is at Richmond next season or not.

Cheers

CaptainCustard (Froars, or whoever i am this week)

well said,

I wish other supporters would stop being so fickle, It amazing that one week when richo takes 15 grabs and kicks 6 he is loved by all, however next week if he has a poor game everyone is calling for his blood. I'm sure if he played for a top 4 club (who know how to move the ball to there tall forwards in a quick and direct manner) he would be a absolute super star

We were a top 4 team who were brutally exposed as pretenders (although it was a great ride while it lasted)
now we are a bottom 4 team looking for scapegoats, You would have to point the blame at the coach before Richo

Incidently mark of kane would not have bought us a premiership against the Lions or Essendon of 2001, maybe a less of a flogging in the prelim

There's one very revealing stat there Froars. Tackles. Richo has laid 64.8 tackles in his entire footballing career. He laid 11 (that's eleven) tackles in 19 games this season. Coughlan laid 102. Not a fair comparison? OK — old, slow, injury-prone has-been Wayne Carey laid 21 tackles from 16 games.

Richo is a great mark and an excellent athlete. But he ain't a team person. It just isn't in him. If we don't trade him this year, then I'd recommend using him purely as a burst player off the bench, to perhaps throw an opposition defence out for half a quarter, or in red time. We simply cannot build a team around him because he barely tolerate his team-mates, let alone integrate himself into them.

I was trying to concentrate on the positives he has had in his career, Deano, which to my mind don't warrant the bagging he gets.

I've got negative ones too like his moods and the way he berates his team mates, and the fact we play better when he's not in the team - gives us more options than having him as a focal point.

The tackling stat didn't amaze me, and is an indictment on his game, but every player has faults.

There is no option but to trade him IMHO if the club is to go forward, but I just hope some people - like corporal - will acknowledge some of the good things he has given the club.

Fair enough.

There are plenty of positives. He obviously loves the club, and is a very marketable player. As I said, he's a great mark of the football and can run and present all day. I'd certainly be worried about him if he was on the other side, that's for sure. Just our luck, he'd play one of his 3 blinders for the year if he ever played against us.

10 years with those stats and have a good look at us now?
Is the trophy cuboard full?
29 next march.
Played in 3 finals in 2001 and he wasnt up to the occassions.
Still cant control himself and undisciplined, after all those years.
If we had Carey for those ten years we would of won at least one flag, with numerous finals.
10 years, with him at his prime and very little to show for it.
The most overated football in the AFL.
Need I say more.
A classic case of a player who is hero worship by supporters who have never seen the club as a success.

Originally posted by diggler

If we had Carey for those ten years we would of won at least one flag, with numerous finals.

Which year/s might have that been given our list over this period?

Captain custard, let me say that I used to love Richo and did honestly feel that he was the person to take us to a much hgher level. However, with his antics and berating of younger teamates in the last two years, I have lost all respect for him and feel the club is better of without his negative influences.

With the current list, I only rate Ottens, Coughlan, Johnston and Chaffey, all the rest are just journeymen who offer the club only mediocrity.

Diggles, i can understand Coughlan, Johnston and Chaffey, but wouldn't you say (despite his injury) we haven't got much out of Ottens in return for a number 2? pck in draft? Can't see how you can degrade so many players and have him as top of your Richmond players - but each to their own I guess. Potential is good, but delivery is even better.

So you don't think Gaspar, Tivendale, Campbell, Newman, Rodan, Zantuck, Kellaway are any good?

Exactly corporal, in a season of lowlights, some of these guys shone: Tivendale (would be his best year); Newman - I feel good things happening with him. Not so much Rodan, but potentially somethign.

Diggles must have a very unhappy football life if that's all he gets out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd agree Rodan did have a disappointing season, he seems to struggle finding the ball especially playing in a floating forward role, I'd love to see him play out a game starting in the centre square at each bounce and then moving into a forward position.
He certainly is a player capable of swinging a game with his great pick up and quick clearances,
I guess time will tell if his height is going to count against him having a great afl career.

Originally posted by corporal
I'd agree Rodan did have a disappointing season, he seems to struggle finding the ball especially playing in a floating forward role, I'd love to see him play out a game starting in the centre square at each bounce and then moving into a forward position.
He certainly is a player capable of swinging a game with his great pick up and quick clearances,
I guess time will tell if his height is going to count against him having a great afl career.
I'd like to see the club to possibly try and develop Rodan into a midfielder in a mould similar to Daniel Kerr. Kerr is small as well but can go inside and win clearences but he can also run the lines and break the game open.

So you don't think Gaspar, Tivendale, Campbell, Newman, Rodan, Zantuck, Kellaway are any good?

Gaspar:- overpaid, lacks skill & will never influence a game enough to make us a top 4 side
Tivendale:- one good year out of 5. Trade him for the right person and a dime a dozen receiver.
Cambell:- gone missing in to many big, big games (choker) to my liking. Will never be good enough for us to take the next step and too late/had his time anyway.
Newman:- too early to tell if he is any good.
Rodan:- overrated show pony who has not done anything of substance in two years. No football smarts and I will even say he will be lucky to be still playing AFL in 4 years. A classic case of a player with questionable talent being hero worshipped by supporters who love mediocrity.
Zantuck:- hard at it yes, but whether he has the skills for a really top side is debatable.
Kellaway (A) - slow, poor skills, indecisive and a dumb footballer.
Kellaway (d) - the worst footballer in the history of RFC to play 150 games plus and a joke he is even on our list

Gaspar:- Overpaid Yes, however when was the last time he was beaten by his opponent? Before he did his knee his was in fantastic form.

Tivendale:- Really developed this year, granted he probably is a bit soft however he gave us a lot of drive with his penetrating left foot this year.

Campbell:- Was in career best form this year before injuries cut him how. He is not as damaging as some of his contempories however still is a great midfielder

Newman:- Held down some important jobs in the backline, showed enough not to be considered as a flash in the pan

Rodan:- Had a poor year, however I lot of that was to do with how he was coached

Zantuck:- Strongest player at the club, hopefully will become the "enforcer" that we need, also showed potential as a straight leading forward

Kellaway A:- Number 10 in marks in the AFL, in a undermanned backline played an admirable role. Tough and fearless

Kellaway D:- wasn't referrring to Duncan however great servant to the team, injuries and age have caught up with him. In his day was a great tagger.

Originally posted by CaptainCustard
Diggles, why do you rate Ottens above the rest?

Personally, I rate Ottens above everyone except maybe Coughlan. His work in the ruck both last year and in the second half of this season hasn't gone unnoticed by this little black duck.

Believe me when I say he will be dominating games in the midfield in the years to come. Maybe like a cross between the agility and skill of Goodes and the power of Primus.

Take a look at the round 22 game when he completely took Spider Everitt apart in the ruck - a player who would be one of the top 2 - 3 rucks in the competition.

Originally posted by CaptainCustard

I think in a better team, with good coaching, better delivery, less injuries, maybe a better attitude as a result of having these goodies, he may well have been the best player to have ever graced our game.

A great player would rise above the problems of being in a poor side that's poorly coached and not sink with his less talented teammates.

That's what made Buckley a great player - his ability to perform week in, week out in the dismal Collingwood sides of the late 1990s. To play to your potential despite the mediocrity surrounding you. Bobby Skilton would've been a similar case.

That's why Richo's 2003 season was so disappointing. When the side was beginning to sink, Richo didn't stand up and attempt to put a stop to the side's slide into oblivion. He just went with the flow and did nothing of note to prevent Richmond's season being wasted.

It was a different story in 1999 - Richo had an outstanding season (particularly in the middle section), while the team was struggling to keep its head above water and was headed by a poor coach.

With the responsibilty of captaincy, one would've thought Richo would've matured and been a leader in tough times - in fact, the opposite is the case this season. I suspect the reason is that his physical abilities are on the wane and he doesn't have the emotional maturity to compensate.

Good post Wagstaff. I am blinded by Richo's frailties sometimes 'cos i'm such a fan of "what could have been" had he not had the injuries, better delivery etc.

I think his mindset has everything to do with it and the fact he is an athlete, possibly playing without the skills of many.

But he is a waste of talent that is for sure - not sure it's totally due to him or just bad luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Overrated Turkey Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back