Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just don't see how you can play him, Smith and Hill together. Hartung is very much a wingman, and can't really play anywhere else.

You're thinking of Hill maybe. Hartung plays a lot more centrally, he's pretty evasive and has good vision which allows him to play all around the ground.

No, I'm thinking of Hartung.

Well of the 3, Hill is the only one-position player, Smith doesn't mind the contested stuff and Hartung plays more like an outside rover. Hill's your pure wingman at this stage, although I'm sure he could hold down half-forward if asked.

The current posturing is getting ridiculous and shows up the farce that is our current FA system.

Michelangelo Rucci, the chief football writer at the Adelaide Advertiser declared: "Adelaide Football Club chief executive Andrew Fagan will on Thursday declare that the Crows intend to force free-agent Patrick Dangerfield into the lottery of the AFL draft if Geelong does not strike a fair trade for the star midfielder."

I have a growing wish to see Dangerfield go to the draft, just to force the AFL to put an end to this crap once and for all.

The current posturing is getting ridiculous and shows up the farce that is our current FA system.

I have a growing wish to see Dangerfield go to the draft, just to force the AFL to put an end to this crap once and for all.

Geelong and Patrick have more to lose than Adelaide do. If they don't get a decent trade, then all they're losing is a first rounder who may or may not be any good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill to the dockers for their first rounder which you can use on Danger?

Maybe. Dangerfield should go to a club who are going to have imminent success though. If he could end up at Richmond he'll be worth every penny, not sure about Geelong.

Hill to the dockers for their first rounder which you can use on Danger?
If getting their first rounder would get it done then it would be worth it. But I wouldn't want to be stuck with Freo's first rounder for Hill if it wasn't a sure thing.

Geelong and Patrick have more to lose than Adelaide do. If they don't get a decent trade, then all they're losing is a first rounder who may or may not be any good.
I've seen that argument before and don't buy it.

To lose something, you must first have it.

What we have to "lose" is the chance - and only the chance - to get a great player.
It is only Dangerfield's reported desire to move close to family that makes Geelong's chance any greater than a bunch of other clubs.

This accident of geography is a hope and a dream, but nothing more substantial than that.
If he goes somewhere else, then the sun still rises in Geelong. The supporters already banking on it will eventually get over it. The club will invest it's draft picks in promising youth and we go on from there.

A trade doesn't get done and he enters the PSD with a price on his head. Carlton would surely have the space in their salary cap.
Of course they would. So would other teams. Probably offer more too. But why would a club pursue a player who is adamant he won't sign with them.

I've seen that argument before and don't buy it.

To lose something, you must first have it.

What we have to "lose" is the chance - and only the chance - to get a great player.
It is only Dangerfield's reported desire to move close to family that makes Geelong's chance any greater than a bunch of other clubs.

This accident of geography is a hope and a dream, but nothing more substantial than that.
If he goes somewhere else, then the sun still rises in Geelong. The supporters already banking on it will eventually get over it. The club will invest it's draft picks in promising youth and we go on from there.

You don't buy what? Danger has said he's gone. Therefore crows have already lost him. What we have to lose if he goes to the draft is the compo pick.

Geelong are the preferred destination, they have him if they trade for him. They lose him if he goes to the draft.

In 5 years time, Geelong supporters will be crying being on the bottom of the ladder with no up and coming first rounders and Danger being the only decent player on the list.

In 5 years time, Geelong supporters will be crying being on the bottom of the ladder with no up and coming first rounders and Danger being the only decent player on the list.

We haven't bottomed out in the AFL era have had 2 decent 1st rounders in past 15 years.....and still won more flags in the AFL era than Collingwood

Sorry for causing offence there ironman.

Things have changed since Judd style trade. That showed giving up 2 strong picks (pick / Kennedy) is not such a smart move.

What you might be forgetting is that he has already played 2/3 of his best seasons like Judd had. You think what he produces now is what he will produce at 29...Based on odds, delusional. Geelong's recruiters...a lot smarter than you... will bank on 3 years of hot form. They will pay for three years hot form in their trade negotiations. They will hope he produces after that...hope. Judd at 29/30 was no Judd at 24/25.

Treloar (3 years younger) is 'arguably' worth more on the trade table not because he is as good as Danger but because he has more 'peak' years left. I'm not sure if you can understand that. Your Dangervision glasses are blinding you. Danger couldn't make Adelaide win a flag and will only be one of several pieces required to win Geelong a flag.
This is complete BS. I highly doubt many if any Geelong recruiters has an IQ above 145! So in terms of intelligence I think i'll take that mantle. Your arrogance in trying to belittle other posters... It's delusional.

Dangerfield is 25 not 28. He is worth more than Treloar, but in terms of a trade Adelaide will request it will be equal, maybe less.

I never mentioned the Judd trade. I think you have your Judd coloured glasses on! You need to go back and check history. Judd trade involved 2 draft picks (3 & 20) and Kennedy. I said Adelaide need to target 2 picks. One between 6-10 and another between 11-15. Meaning Geelong just need to find a pick between 11-15 to get it done.

What odds do you have to prove a 29 year old player is not effective? For every Judd who falls off a cliff you have Hodge who is an evergreen.

Nice try, but don't try warrior. I get paid on a daily basis to argue against idiots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back