Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, that's not really what I am saying :), but I do agree. More than one club would trade 14 for PD, no doubt.

But that doesn't make matching inevitable, IMO, because matching also brings fresh risk to Adelaide who then could push him into the draft - which is the cut off your nose to spite your face option.

I was more trying to make a point about GFC position if they don't put up a massive trade, but I am not sure I did that very well

I'm sure it does, but one of the directors of the AFC have said they will match, face reality if Geeling want him they will have to trade otherwise he will stay at Adelaide, enter the PSD and lose his FA eligibility or the AFC trade him to another club . Not hard to work out is it?

Well, that's not really what I am saying :), but I do agree. More than one club would trade 14 for PD, no doubt.

But that doesn't make matching inevitable, IMO, because matching also brings fresh risk to Adelaide who then could push him into the draft - which is the cut off your nose to spite your face option.

I was more trying to make a point about GFC position if they don't put up a massive trade, but I am not sure I did that very well

The risk that Geelong's best trade offer will be less than pick 14 is next to nothing.

That's the risk that Adelaide faces - a situation where Geelong says "no, pick 15 is our best offer for Danger."

I don't think anyone, even the most one-eyed cats fans, would give that any realistic chance to happen. Geelong just wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Of course they would. So would other teams. Probably offer more too. But why would a club pursue a player who is adamant he won't sign with them.

What a great investment for say Carlton, he will play for them for the term he signs then if he wants to leave he will need to be traded out as he will have lost his FA eligibility. So for a PSD pick they may end up with 2 first picks in the ND. That is what I call a solid investment in their future

I'm sure it does, but one of the directors of the AFC have said they will match, face reality if Geeling want him they will have to trade otherwise he will stay at Adelaide, enter the PSD and lose his FA eligibility or the AFC trade him to another club . Not hard to work out is it?
My post was talking about the inevitability of Adelaide matching, not what Geelong will offer if they do.

The risk that Geelong's best trade offer will be less than pick 14 is next to nothing.

That's the risk that Adelaide faces - a situation where Geelong says "no, pick 15 is our best offer for Danger."

I don't think anyone, even the most one-eyed cats fans, would give that any realistic chance to happen. Geelong just wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot like that.
Fine with that, but there is a long way between "a pick less than pick 14" and "2 first rounders and a player", which I call the "mortgage our future" option.

My view is that Geelong should walk away from the table somewhere between those two options. I will be mortified if the club go all in on one guy - no matter how good.

Fine with that, but there is a long way between "a pick less than pick 14" and "2 first rounders and a player", which I call the "mortgage our future" option.

My view is that Geelong should walk away from the table somewhere between those two options. I will be mortified if the club go all in on one guy - no matter how good.

Yep agree.

It will be interesting to see what the final trade will be.

Is it really the best look for the crows matching any offer.... Doesn't exactly advertise the club in a positive light to potential new players.... Come to the crows - we won't put your interests first?

So players are interested in joining a team that doesn't try to be the best it can be? I wanna join that team cz I wanna be able to leave them for minimal return... That's the mindset clubs want their recruits to have obviously..

So players are interested in joining a team that doesn't try to be the best it can be? I wanna join that team cz I wanna be able to leave them for minimal return... That's the mindset clubs want their recruits to have obviously..

I would hope Adelaide (like every other club in the afl) are trying to be the best they can be.... Never mentioned anything about that...
My point is, is it a good look playing hard ball with a player who wants to return home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope Adelaide (like every other club in the afl) are trying to be the best they can be.... Never mentioned anything about that...
My point is, is it a good look playing hard ball with a player who wants to return home?

I suppose each club will look after their number 1 priority, and what do you think that is?

So you think Geelong should bend over and not play hardball so Dangerfield can get home. They shouldnt shun a homegrown hero now should they.. he wants to be there, his home and Geelong wouldn't want to not look good by not fairly trading to bring him home.... Right?

Of course they would. So would other teams. Probably offer more too. But why would a club pursue a player who is adamant he won't sign with them.

Of course Carlton would take him with pick 1 in the PSD. What would Dangerfield do? Sit out of the game for the 5 or 6 years of his contract? Thats a long wait

If Carlton didn't someone would.

There is no way Danger would let Geelong send him to the draft.

It would be the deal of a lifetime for Carlton using a PSD pick to get a superstar then have the option of trading him if he didn't want to stay. It would be like buying a car for $10000 and selling it for $30000

Geelong would offer a 1st and 2nd rounder for Dangerfield at a minimum. They would be mad not too. He is better than Treloar or Beams if you want to benchmark.
That won't be enough.

We have to go for 2 first round picks over these 2 years and a decent player.

So you think Geelong should bend over and not play hardball so Dangerfield can get home. They shouldnt shun a homegrown hero now should they.. he wants to be there, his home and Geelong wouldn't want to not look good by not fairly trading to bring him home.... Right?

Not sure how this turned on the cats... As it stands with free agency the cats are following the rules... If matched by the crows, I'm sure they will trade fairly (they have the runs on the board in that department already)...
If I follow your logic, I can presume the crows traded fairly for betts then?
From a perspective of attracting new players to the club, is matching and forcing a player potentially into the draft a good point? I still haven't found your answer for that

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back