Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

But that's a constant for everyone isn't it? Every club will be getting an expanded salary cap over the coming years and will be structuring any and all new contracts to account for that, it's not something unique to Geelong so while the figures may go up, the amount they'll be offering relative to other sides will proportionately still be the same.

There seems to be this repetitive dogma laid down by Cats supporters that the only way this deal will go through is going to be by Geelong making an offer so big as to blow everyone else out of the water. I'm just pointing out that even if that is the case, there is an alternative, and that alternative (to make him a more sensible offer and give up a draft pick or 2 to acquire him) may in the long term come at a lower opportunity cost for Geelong than the stance taken by most Cats supporters - to retain the pick(s) but make him an offer that is so ludicrous as to make a mockery of your pay structure and put your list management under pressure, potentially unsettle a few of your existing players who may have taken unders to stay at Geelong while you were successful, and inhibit your ability to add any further premium talent to your list for the duration of his contract.
Good analysis.

Force geelong to trade get there 1st pick and next years first pick and one of there young SA mids. We then go hard for Bennell, Aish , redden, Hampton and young Talia.

You guys obviously did not have the salary cap space to force Sydney to the trade table forcing them to cut a deal with you.
Thats why you got screwed in regards to the Franklin deal.
Its total crap if you think about, the formula has to change asap.
Franklin pick 19
Thomas pick 10
Frawley pick 3
The funniest one is that Sylvia got the Dees pick 23.

You guys obviously did not have the salary cap space to force Sydney to the trade table forcing them to cut a deal with you.
Thats why you got screwed in regards to the Franklin deal.
Its total crap if you think about, the formula has to change asap.
Franklin pick 19
Thomas pick 10
Frawley pick 3
It is what it is
No way is Thomas worthy of pick 3 and buddy #19
But that's the way it is
If they change it people will complain about the new system as well

Simple if or when Danger goes it won't be a fee agent deal.
Someone is going to have to cough up a player and a 1 st round pick to get job done as he is a restricted free agent and we might be from city of churches but we aren't silly.
Yes he will be missed if lose him as he is multi talented but don't compare him with Garry Ablett please.
Just watch any of his games and watch how many of his touches go nowhere or to opposition and then look at last nights game etc and watch the impact Mitchell and Hodge have with their touches in compare to Dangers.
Anyway a 25 year old should not be free agents as get virtually nothing first 2 years .
he can win the ball as good as anyone, but he can't kick to save himself
Rumours are about that we are lurking but I can't see him fitting in to our system with his lack of foot skills

crows get betts for nicks, and he is a star
yet they believe the same system is unfair

Its unfair based on your circumstances at a point in time
But Eddie wasn't a star mate and had even been dropped in last 2 years and Carlton were not desperate to hold onto.
Simple fact if want Danger you are going to have to dig deep and work out want Henderson or Danger and unless ready to handover some good young players .

Blues would have got pick 14 compensation if they didn't get dale Thomas that cancelled it out. 14 for betts is about right. 14-16 for dangerfield and 19 for buddy is not close to right. Pick 14 was cam Mccarthy too btw.

Carlton didn't match because they didn't think Betts was worth it.

Adelaide will match because they think he is, and then force a trade.

Thats the system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

only new bit of info is the 5 year deal...that tells me the heavily front loaded small 2 year contract isnt going to happen...

i wonder how they price out adelaide

will be interesting to see how it all pans out
Absolutely. Very interesting. My thinking is that he definitely wants to be at Geelong. It's just up to Adelaide not making it difficult for him. They have every right to want compensation for such a good player (which in turns makes it difficult for him). I think Adelaide will match Geelong's offer, and Geelong will give up top picks next year and 2017. My evidence for such a prediction? I just think it.

If they match then that's fine...What happens if Geelong trade pick 9 to the blues for Henderson and their second pick??? If he wants to go to just Geelong your kind of screwed. What happens if we have Carlton second pick to trade and you match??

If they match then that's fine...What happens if Geelong trade pick 9 to the blues for Henderson and their second pick??? If he wants to go to just Geelong your kind of screwed. What happens if we have Carlton second pick to trade and you match??
I doubt Geelong will prioritise Henderson over Dangerfield. He's irrelevant to this whole situation. Geelong will certainly be focusing on the possibility of only getting Dangerfield at this point in time.

I don't think the AFL want clubs matching offers with the potential shit fight that could occur to get a trade done. Would not be surprised if they offered two first rounders as compo so it goes away. They have history of inconsistency.

If we match and you won't give a fair trade then he either goes to another club that either breaks the bank for him or organises a fair trade or he walks into the pre season draft where 8 other clubs could potentially have the opportunity to sign him and would likely offer much more than Geelong are willing to.

He wants to go to Geelong but he isn't going to move heaven and earth to get there.

If we match and you won't give a fair trade then he either goes to another club that either breaks the bank for him or organises a fair trade or he walks into the pre season draft where 8 other clubs could potentially have the opportunity to sign him and would likely offer much more than Geelong are willing to.

He wants to go to Geelong but he isn't going to move heaven and earth to get there.
I doubt it'd look good if Geelong offer their top picks (which they most likely will) and Adelaide refuse to take it, forcing their marquee player into a draft he never wanted to enter just because Adelaide want to play hard-ball. I understand Adelaide want compensation, but I feel like the shit-fight that would ensue from such tactics would be more hassle than they really want right now.

That is fairy tale thinking..Adelaide will ruin their reputation as a club, therefore other future players will think twice about going to Adelaide..
If you wanted to move to another company and your current company you work for screwed you over, how pissed off would you be???

That is fairy tale thinking..Adelaide will ruin their reputation as a club, therefore other future players will think twice about going to Adelaide..
If you wanted to move to another company and your current company you work for screwed you over, how pissed off would you be???

That's not how business works. As soon as we match the offer we have the upper hand.

Absolutely. Very interesting. My thinking is that he definitely wants to be at Geelong. It's just up to Adelaide not making it difficult for him. They have every right to want compensation for such a good player (which in turns makes it difficult for him). I think Adelaide will match Geelong's offer, and Geelong will give up top picks next year and 2017. My evidence for such a prediction? I just think it.

Nice theory I like it unfortunately you can only trade future picks from one year into the future, max.

Dangerfield leaving sets the club back.
He is there best player.

Pick 14 for him is laughable.

I hope Adelaide take a stance, He's a restricted free agent and it's just smart business to match. He's easily worth 2 top 10 picks and Adelaide need to look after their future than just be the good guy that let their best player walk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back