Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Those saying Adelaide will inevitably match are getting things out of order. The matching period is well into the trading period so it really depends what Geelong has as to whether it's worth matching. Geelong are talking with plenty of players who would require significant trades. There's every chance they're planning on getting a couple of big trades done early to make sure they don't have anything left so Adelaide won't have any reason to match.

People talk about what Dangerfield's worth. When has that ever mattered at the trade table? It always comes down to what one club is willing and able to offer and what the other club will accept. When has a club ever willingly given up 2 first round picks when it's highly likely they would get him for free? It's one thing for Geelong not to kick up a stink when they get bent over but it's another thing to willingly give up valuable picks when they don't need to.

Geez you're a harsh marker on your own team or you got suckered into hype instead of understanding the benefit of having a very good player on your team. 23 Brownlow votes in 2012, 22 in 2013, 21 in 2014 and potential to win it this year, but only this year is he good enough?

Also fully aware that he was not in Adelaide much in his first year, note the "some of those were developmental years".
Do you understand never won or most years not even close to winning our B&F.
Basically the victorian umpires like him almost as much as Vic media.
No not knocking him but point is really still learning how to use his speed etc to teams advantage instead of at bottom of scrum and how many premierships would you have won if lost many stars you had when they were 25.

I'm getting sick of the Danger buzz, at this point, I'd rather he just stay in Adelaide and put all this to rest. He's elite, and would be a quality addition, but if this distraction goes on for months, it's going to hurt both Adelaide and whatever team he goes to.

There's no reason a player possibly moving should be the lead story going into the Prelims.
It's hardly Dangerfield's or the clubs fault there's all this buzz. If you're sick of it, don't go reading articles. It'll be all over soon and there will be no distraction at all after that.

Those saying Adelaide will inevitably match are getting things out of order. The matching period is well into the trading period so it really depends what Geelong has as to whether it's worth matching. Geelong are talking with plenty of players who would require significant trades. There's every chance they're planning on getting a couple of big trades done early to make sure they don't have anything left so Adelaide won't have any reason to match.

The reason to match will be to keep Dangerfield in Adelaide I would have thought. That is Geelong showing that the value the players they are trading for over Danger. How would he feel? Doesnt seem like a guy that would actively try and screw Adelaide. If that happens, there could be every chance that he rejects Geelong.

If I was Adelaide, I would definitely re-sign if the contract was not ridiculous. He might decide to stay, or for the next 5 years Adelaide would be looking to trade him to Geelong.

Cant see him giving up on not playing to be honest

People talk about what Dangerfield's worth. When has that ever mattered at the trade table? It always comes down to what one club is willing and able to offer and what the other club will accept. When has a club ever willingly given up 2 first round picks when it's highly likely they would get him for free? It's one thing for Geelong not to kick up a stink when they get bent over but it's another thing to willingly give up valuable picks when they don't need to.
I'm sure Danger wont mind Geelong prioritising other players over him and making it harder for him to get there

I'm confident we will get him. I'm less confident we will get him for free.

Yes I think you have it right.

The suggestion that he'd go into the PSD is laughable.

Pick 1 - PSD - Carlton would take him without a doubt. So would every team under Geelong.

Geelong will have to pay large.

It's not like Adelaide owe Geelong anything. Why hand them their Captain for free when you can squeeze them.

Dangerfield needs to realise that you can't have everything and judging by his supposed wishes that Geelong get him for free, I think he's got no real grasp of that at all.

Free agency window opens three days before trade window.

I think that's the situation. I'm pretty sure the Crows can match any offer that Geelong are likely to offer, and if their compensation is going to be less than trade value, why wouldn't they?

Well there are some considerations related to why would you match for a player who doesn't want to be there. The AFLPA might not like it either. But it's new territory for the AFL so we will see.

Listening to Double AA this morning, unfortunatly Dangerfield missed it, but Cornes filled in, said no way in the world, Adelaide wont match. Suck it up work out a trade, don't try and say there isn't going to be one, everything out of Adelaide is saying they will match.

I suppose who could enter the PSD, Im sure if Carlton, and Brissie pass on him the Woods will be standing with open arms.

Its got to a point where Adelaide now hold the aces with the fact they can either choose to match or not. Even Jay Clark says they will match and for a one eyed cats man to say that, it speaks Volumes.

Two firsts and the deals done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RESTRICTED Free Agent - it allows clubs to match the offer if they choose to.

If Adelaide don't match what will be a fairly easy contract to match then they are nuts. Their supporters will burn down the club. Pick 14 for Dangerfield, who will you get at pick 14? And you'll be massively strengthening a direct ladder competitor.

Adelaide aren't noted as tough dealers but they need to grows some balls and this time must take a stand. No club has matched so far but no one has had the scenario to do it, Adelaide has.

Free Agency is a crap idea, it will ruin the competition, Buddy for pick 19, Dangerfield for pick 14, Frawley for pick 3 - FFS!

If Adelaide don't match what will be a fairly easy contract to match then they are nuts. Their supporters will burn down the club. Pick 14 for Dangerfield, who will you get at pick 14? And you'll be massively strengthening a direct ladder competitor.

Adelaide aren't noted as tough dealers but they need to grows some balls and this time must take a stand. No club has matched so far but no one has had the scenario to do it, Adelaide has.

Free Agency is a crap idea, it will ruin the competition, Buddy for pick 19, Dangerfield for pick 14, Frawley for pick 3 - FFS!

You would think the AFC will knwo they will be seen as the bigegst soft c**** ever for not matching, there supporters will go berzerk at the club, I think everyone would be prepared to cop nothing and let him go for nothing

If Adelaide match the offer, can Dangerfield then set different contractual terms if he enters the National or Pre-Season Drafts?

I don't agree with Free Agency being a crap idea, the compensation rules are what's wrong with Free Agency at the moment. No one in their right mind thinks Frawley is a better player than Buddy, than why did was compensation for Frawley a higher pick. I Would rather have a model from the NFL/NBA where if you don't resign your players tough luck, they are allowed to negotiate with who ever they want and you get no compensation. The model at the moment gives clubs incentives to perform poorly, allow your players to leave in Free Agency and get extra 1st round picks.

To be fair, it's not free agency that is crap, it's the compensation system

I don't agree with Free Agency being a crap idea, the compensation rules are what's wrong with Free Agency at the moment. No one in their right mind thinks Frawley is a better player than Buddy, than why did was compensation for Frawley a higher pick. I Would rather have a model from the NFL/NBA where if you don't resign your players tough luck, they are allowed to negotiate with who ever they want and you get no compensation. The model at the moment gives clubs incentives to perform poorly, allow your players to leave in Free Agency and get extra 1st round picks.

If you do that then, get rid of the draft also, infact scrap the salary cap, have a free for all it would take away all the unusual restrictions being placed on the players and clubs.

One down side only the strong survive!

If you do that then, get rid of the draft also, infact scrap the salary cap, have a free for all it would take away all the unusual restrictions being placed on the players and clubs.

One down side only the strong survive!

Uh no, if you get rid of the compensation rules and keep everything else it would function normally. Allowing teams to get compensation just because a player leaves is stupid. One of your players leaves, oh no wallow in your pity while you get to pick one of the top prospects in the nation.

Do you understand never won or most years not even close to winning our B&F.

2015 - Not announced yet. Probably wins, maybe top 2?
2014 - 3rd
2013 - 3rd
2012 - 2nd

So "not even close" is the same as "top 3"?

Wow. And that's using your own metric.

Basically the victorian umpires like him almost as much as Vic media.

And as much as whoever votes for your B&F, right?

No not knocking him but point is really still learning how to use his speed etc to teams advantage instead of at bottom of scrum and how many premierships would you have won if lost many stars you had when they were 25.

You're knocking him because he wasn't great, just very good. Very hard marker.

Well there are some considerations related to why would you match for a player who doesn't want to be there. The AFLPA might not like it either. But it's new territory for the AFL so we will see.
You would match to extract maximum value for your asset, ie: make Geelong give up more than the value of the comp pick.
The AFLPA won't have any say in it at all. This will all play out within the rules and framework that they negotiated on behalf of the players during the previous CBA negotiations. I have confidence that both Adelaide and Geelong will be sensible.
Geelong have to get their man. It's not everyday you get the opportunity to get one of the best players in the game, who's still only 26(? can't be bothered looking it up). He's worth whatever they have to give up.
Adelaide on the other hand, have to accept the best offer Geelong can deliver them. Matching is their only leverage. Anything better than the compo pick, even if it is just Geelong's 1st rd pick, is still better than nothing. They'll do their utmost to extract more, and so they should.

I assume that he will be able to enter the draft with different terms.

That's my assumption as well. There's no indication in the AFL rules that the two are in any way linked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back