PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest if the AMD 6xxxx outperforms the 3xxxx series and it's cheaper. I will definitely grab one of those instead.

Assuming the drivers are stable, will also mean I can upgrade to a 5950x and get more perf.

I watched a few videos at lunch and been thinking about it all day, and the longer I thought about it the more I think that once December rolls around and my 3080 is still no where to be seen then I'll order a 6900xt and see what happens. Pricing wise they'll be around the same (compared to the 3080) because AIBs won't undercut themselves, but it's looking like these 6000 series cards are going to render the 3070 and 3090 DOA. It just means I'll be monitor hunting again which I'll need all the time to think up how I'm going to justify another one to the missus.

LoL @ paying a premium to lock yourself into a hardware ecosystem.
BetaMax
LaserDisc
Apple
Gsync
RTX

Think it just comes down to the games you want to play and sometimes they get either nvidia or intel money. so they end up using proprietary api's.

Sucks but it is what it is.

So as mentioned a few pages back, thinking of building a basic 1080p/75hz ultra settings build. Any thoughts/feedback would be great. Was gonna go through PCCG as their service has been great in the past.

• Ryzen 3 3100
  • MSI MAG A520M Vector Wi-Fi Motherboard (just looking for a basic motherboard with built in WiFi/BT) - this only has 2 RAM slots so is it worth getting one with 4?
  • GTX 1660 Super (how much worse is the 1650 Super? Looking at a $100 difference between the two)
  • 16GB 3200mhz RAM (again not fussed on brand)
  • SeaSonic Focus Gold 550w PSU (could spend an extra $20 on getting the fully modular version)
  • Using an SSD and HDD from a previous build
  • Kolink Observatory Lite Mesh Case (mostly for the included fans and reviews seem decent)

Looking to play current/future AAA titles at 1080p on med-high settings with a decent frame rate.

So as mentioned a few pages back, thinking of building a basic 1080p/75hz ultra settings build. Any thoughts/feedback would be great. Was gonna go through PCCG as their service has been great in the past.

• Ryzen 3 3100
  • MSI MAG A520M Vector Wi-Fi Motherboard (just looking for a basic motherboard with built in WiFi/BT) - this only has 2 RAM slots so is it worth getting one with 4?
  • GTX 1660 Super (how much worse is the 1650 Super? Looking at a $100 difference between the two)
  • SeaSonic Focus Gold 550w PSU (could spend an extra $20 on getting the fully modular version)
  • Kolink Observatory Lite Mesh Case (mostly for the included fans and reviews seem decent)

Looking to play current/future AAA titles at 1080p on med-high settings with a decent frame rate.
If thats what you're targeting, have you thought about an xbox series s? would be alot cheaper.

If thats what you're targeting, have you thought about an xbox series s? would be alot cheaper.

I have, I love the idea of the Series S for people like me who just want the 1080p experience. It's the perfect option for casual gamers IMO and looks perfect for Game Pass.

But this system would also be an upgrade on my current PC, and I enjoy building them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Ryzen 3 3100

- If you can afford it, yes a motherboard with 4 DIMM slots is worth it over one with 2 slots, as it allows for easier upgradability in the future. You'd be better off getting the MSI B450 A-Pro Max motherboard for $36 less and then buying a separate Wifi card if you need it
- the 1660S is 17% faster than the 1650S. The 1660S is definitely more future proof, but the 1650 is technically better value for money right now on a cost per frame basis as the 1660S is 29% more expensive for that extra 17% in performance
- don't waste money on RGB memory if your budget is tight. Corsair Vengeance LPX or Crucial Ballistix memory are generally very good
- similarly, don't spend extra money on a modular PSU - spend that money on things that will improve performance/temperatures/noise. This is especially true if your case has a PSU shroud (as it does if you get the one you mentioned) as the extra cables will be hidden anyway

If you don't need a computer/want to play PC exclusive games, consider a console as HirdyLannister suggested. Its generally a far more accessible and cost effective way into gaming

Last edited:
Still trying to hustle a 3080, but some other stuff I've come across and also thoughts:

3070 AUD pricing is stupid. I know people are desperate, but come on.
6900xt only FE at this stage, AIBs only in talks with AMD now so doubtful we'll see those this year. Apparently 6800xt launch stock is looking limited too, but more info is out on performance and it's looking good. AUD pricing will likely be similar to 3080 because AIBs won't undercut themselves. I'll definitely try and get one on launch day if I still haven't sorted a 3080.

I would have guessed they'd be ~$900 to maybe $1000 based on the price the 2070S was. How on earth can the Strix 3070 OC be $1300? 😂

I thought at least the Zotacs would be around $850 and was seriously considering getting a Strix as a placeholder until next year assuming it would be around the $1k too. In this Reddit group I'm in there are people paying $1400 for EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070 from Newegg :shrug:

I thought at least the Zotacs would be around $850 and was seriously considering getting a Strix as a placeholder until next year assuming it would be around the $1k too. In this Reddit group I'm in there are people paying $1400 for EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070 from Newegg :shrug:

People are dumb

More news at 11

Easy. It's not a very demanding game at all. I run it at 120 fps locked at 3440*1440p (ultrawide 1440) on a 1080ti (so around a 2080).
How about my i5-8400? Based at 2.8ghz and goes up to 4ghz on turbo. Should I be considering upgrading that, or you reckon it's still got a bit of time left in it?

How about my i5-8400? Based at 2.8ghz and goes up to 4ghz on turbo. Should I be considering upgrading that, or you reckon it's still got a bit of time left in it?

Nah it will be alright for FIFA. It's just not that much of a demanding game at all. In the future if you were looking at playing more demanding AAA games (especially at 4k) and wanted to upgrade your graphics card then sure, you might want to consider upgrading that CPU, but it shouldn't bottleneck a 2070.

Not counting my chickens yet as I've been waiting a few hours for the store to process my PayPal order, but might have secured a Colorful iGame Vulcan OC 3080. I don't care if the "in stock" notice was wrong, but if they can send me one on the next shipment I'll still be rapt.

Ok, not going to celebrate until it's actually shipped but I followed this up with the store in question and it's sounding good. I didn't know much about Colorful before this launch but I have been seeing a few things about them recently and I actually didn't mind the odd review I started seeing. After what I hope was a successful snipe on this particular card I started researching the shit out of it and I'm not being dishonest when I say that I think I prefer it over the Strix.

Once I know 100% it's on it's way I'll explain the process as I don't want to give away my secrets just yet. Nothing ground breaking but I did actually formulate a bit of an attack plan as I knew I wasn't going to beat the guys like in this Reddit group I'm in working from home and using things like Distill. Should stock for the RX 6000 also be tight I believe this strategy would also work.

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back