PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to add even further conflict, the price/performance of the 6800XT looks amazing (benchmarks pending).

I just hope that it doesn't get crippled by games running Nvidia proprietary crap like hairworks/dlss/rtx

Order for 5900x in. PCCG just said stock early next week, but PLE advertised they have them (for WA customers only) from Monday. Apparently 5900x stock will be less than 5950x so fingers crossed. Had a few hiccups at the checkout where it didn't want to take my card but after it decided to play nice I was still done in 2 minutes so fingers crossed. The site didn't crash though unlike 3080 launch so I think I should be good to get it in the next week or two because each major retailer are expecting 1000+ units for the month.

Can't wait for some of the reviewers to dive into the memory side of things. I bought 3600 cl16 b-die in preparation for this, aiming for either 3600 cl14 or 3800 cl16 depending on the luck of the kit and whether the FCLK wants to play nice at 1800mhz or 1900mhz. Some early rumours that 2000mhz might be the sweet spot but I saw Buildzoid say the other day that it's the same memory controller as Zen 2 and I just read on Reddit that Yuri only got his to 1933mhz. I don't want to milk every last drop, I just want to find a nice and tidy sweet spot for a meaningful gain without pushing things too far. Interesting to see what the reviewers come up with while I wait for 5900x stock.

No reasonable perf gain over the 3950x.

Let's see what happens when SAM is implemented.

Kind of hoping that they allow Zen 2 to take advantage of that

Dammit dwwaino I really want a 5950x now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be of interest to you dwwaino - Crosshair XIII Dark Hero has some fancy OCing capabilities that der8auer thinks might be the only mobo that has it. Also runs 4000MTs RAM

That's a shit hot motherboard. 90a vs 60a VRMs were always going to give it that extra headroom. Apparently the original 60a was already overkill though?

I was hanging for it but I drew a line that if it wasn't out by the time I ordered the CPU then I'd get the regular x570 Hero as it reviewed the best behind the Aorus Xtreme 12 months ago on Zen 2. Then it got slashed to $599 this week. I haven't checked since I got home but I didn't see it any where on sale yet today. Asus reps said Aus won't be until next month and Newegg likely to get it first. With something new always on the horizon I had to draw the line somewhere lol. That's why I was happy to snipe a 3080 if I saw one rather than waiting to see the 6800xt. Another way I justified the Hero vs the Dark Hero so I don't have any future regret was the silver highlights actually match my silver Trident Z Royal RAM and Vulcan OC cooler more lol.

Still early days but some of the issues with not being able to clock the fabric past 1900mhz have been on more 5800x chips so maybe it is a binning issue. Igor and some others have successfully got their 5900x FCLK to 2000mhz. I'm not that keen on pushing it that hard though. I think day one I'm just going to enable the XMP/DOCP and set the FCLK to 1800, then enable PBO. I'll monitor it for a week to get a temp and performance baseline then aim for a 3800 cl16 memory OC and 1900mhz FCLK.

Just picked up my motherboard and my 3080 tracking got updated to processing locally which should hopefully arrive on Monday'ish. It's starting to feel very real now!

Let's just hope I can get the 5900x this week. I screwed up a bit when going through the check out. First it didn't accept my saved credit card, then I realised I had my shipping address as home instead of work, then I forgot to tick the terms box. All in all it took me 2 minutes and 13 seconds to complete the order. That doesn't sound like much but according to this group where we compared order numbers and time stamps there were a few hundred orders in that time (we don't know how many were for each model though). However PCCG have said that next week's 5900x shipment should cover 15% of orders placed before 9am, so hopefully that means anyone who ordered in the first 5 minutes are in. They said they received over 1000 orders in the first 5 minutes.

What time did pre-orders open?

1am AEDT Friday morning.

Earliest timestamp I've seen about 1:00:30 and there is roughly 300 order numbers between his and mine. Mind you there are also orders for other models in there too. Some guy that was about 30 seconds before me is only ahead by about 50 or so order numbers. Plenty of people got the 5800xt so fingers crossed that they're a lot of the in between orders but all stores are saying the 5900x is the highest in demand and it's also the shortest in supply. I think that's we all expected though.

I'm reasonably confident I'll get it this month, but of course this coming week would be awesome obviously if it's the last part I need. Otherwise shit happens. As GN Steve said it's only tech.

PCCG's 5000 stock update page.

GN's 5800X review is pretty brutal "More numbers, more better" 😂

I think it'll end up like the 3700X did - once the price drops a bit (as AMD CPUs tend to do), the value proposition will more into its favour. Plus there's the argument (which I don't completely buy tbh) that 8c/16t will be required for gaming soon because that is what the consoles have

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back