PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

NVIDIA and AMD have bought up all the excess capacity at TSMC. I guess there will be no supply shortage for their new stuff. As long as there is sufficient demand that should be a good thing for prices. AUD has already climbed back to 0.64 after bottoming out at nearly 0.60, and it was around 0.68 before Rona. By the end of the year it should be closer to wear it was. I wouldn't be surprised to see GST go up next year though (as in FY 21/22) so this year might be a good time to look at an upgrade or two if anyone has been thinking about it.

The upgrade options don't seem that great from where I'm at (GTX960)

Gone are the days when you could get a card twice as fast for the same price in 3 years. I'd pretty much have to fork out for a RTX2060 and the prices in Australia are ridiculous. I mean I understand exchange rates have gone a bit shitty but still $600+ for cards which sell for $300USD feels so scammy.

Arctis Pro are only like $350. I was using a pair on my PS4 before I got some GSP670 to match the GSP600 I use on PC.

Ahh OK, first two links that showed up on a search were the wireless version.

Still.......... at $350 there's plenty of nice gear around that would top it. The review I skimmed on it said soundstage was pretty lacking, which isn't great for gaming headphones

Ahh OK, first two links that showed up on a search were the wireless version.

Still.......... at $350 there's plenty of nice gear around that would top it. The review I skimmed on it said soundstage was pretty lacking, which isn't great for gaming headphones

Just looked them up now since you mentioned it and I don't know what is up with those prices. Must be corona or supply or something. I can't even find the main wireless PC/PS4 model with the receiver.

They're not too bad for wireless console gaming from the couch, definitely better than their competitors in the same price range. There is a ceiling in audio quality on PS4 though and they hit it. Obviously out of the question for wired PC gaming. I often try out those sorts of headsets just for my PS4 because I'm always getting JB vouchers I never know what to do with lol

Hi guys, I’m having trouble screwing in the Ryzen 5 2600 cpu fan

Screws seem to keep turning and turning
Check that the screws are actually going into the backplate.

I had this problem the first time I built my PC because I was using the mobo box as a work surface, and the give in the box meant that the screw just pushed the screw holes in backplate away from the mobo instead of going into them and becoming secured.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a spring mechanism around the screws that stops you from tightening them too tightly

Check that the screws are actually going into the backplate.

I had this problem the first time I built my PC because I was using the mobo box as a work surface, and the give in the box meant that the screw just pushed the screw holes in backplate away from the mobo instead of going into them and becoming secured.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a spring mechanism around the screws that stops you from tightening them too tightly

I’ve managed to get 2 in but they’re the top two, bottom 2 I couldn’t get in even with one of the 2 out

Will it be alright to leave the 2 out and use as is?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve managed to get 2 in but they’re the top two, bottom 2 I couldn’t get in even with one of the 2 out

No, because that means that the cooler probably isn't making contact with the bottom half of the CPU's heat spreader.

I'd say its best to start again. Make sure that your mobo is on a flat surface, and only tighten each screw a few turns each, and don't tighten them all just by going around the circle - mix it up like you do when you are tightening wheel nuts on a car (i.e. one corner, then the one diagonal to the first. then a 3rd and the 4th will be diagonal to the 3rd)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always put the cooler screws in diagonally opposite.

One of the shit things about the backplate/ cooler design is putting the ****ing thing on.

Gone are the days when you could get a card twice as fast for the same price in 3 years. I'd pretty much have to fork out for a RTX2060 and the prices in Australia are ridiculous. I mean I understand exchange rates have gone a bit shitty but still $600+ for cards which sell for $300USD feels so scammy.
May as well wait to see where Ampere and Big Navi cards lob when they're announced if you're not sold on the Turing cards. Doubt you'll see better value though thanks to where the exchange rate is at, although anything will feel like a big upgrade over a 960.

I went 960 to 2070S a few months ago and it feels phenomenal

May as well wait to see where Ampere and Big Navi cards lob when they're announced if you're not sold on the Turing cards. Doubt you'll see better value though thanks to where the exchange rate is at, although anything will feel like a big upgrade over a 960.

I went 960 to 2070S a few months ago and it feels phenomenal

Might be a bit too expensive for me. Think it's best to wait until I can get a cheap RTX or is there anything else that would give me good performance? I mean I can play Hitman 2 at medium 1080p and it's ok, I mean not amazing but certainly playable. I'm worried about not being able to play Cyberpunk without putting everything in bad quality but should be a while until that comes out yet.

Might be a bit too expensive for me. Think it's best to wait until I can get a cheap RTX or is there anything else that would give me good performance? I mean I can play Hitman 2 at medium 1080p and it's ok, I mean not amazing but certainly playable. I'm worried about not being able to play Cyberpunk without putting everything in bad quality but should be a while until that comes out yet.
If your goals are to play anything at 1080p with decent frame rates then the 1660S is one to consider for under $500, or if you're willing to consider second hand options, maybe a used 1070 card which should be around the same price but will perform better.

But it all depends how desperately you want to upgrade and how long you want the next graphics card to last. Going a mid-tier card will probably save you $400 now but it will go out of date quicker and you'll be looking to replace it earlier. I bought a GTX 960 five years ago because I looked in the mirror and flat out lied to myself that once I left university, I'd stop playing computer games in a few years. In hindsight, I should have stumped up for the 970.

If you're not desperate to make a move I'd at least see what's announced with Ampere and Big Navi. If you don't like the new options, you can always still go with what's on offer now. And always only buy what you can afford.

Last edited:
I start working from home this week so started poking around online for a second monitor, looks like you can claim as an expense. Pretty much everything is sold out, clearly everyone else had the same idea!

I start working from home this week so started poking around online for a second monitor, looks like you can claim as an expense. Pretty much everything is sold out, clearly everyone else had the same idea!

My missus has been working from home for about a month and monitors were already out of stock everywhere back then.

Tons in stock down my local Umart. Maybe things are different in Perth.

There's always ordering online. Scorptec usually have good prices on monitors.

2nd hand Pascal or Vega should be under $300 for roughly double the performance of a 960...

Remember how Intel was dead in the water because AMD released good CPUs? Someone probably should have told Intel............

Kicking off earnings season for the tech industry, Intel yesterday evening reported their financial results for the first quarter of the year. And, like pretty much every Intel quarter for the last couple of years, it was a doozy, with Intel once again recording growing revenues and a very healthy profit margin.

For the first quarter of 2020, Intel reported $19.8B in revenue, a significant improvement over the year-ago quarter, and only slightly behind Intel’s record-breaking Q4. As a result of this strong revenue, income was also very healthy for the company, with Intel recording $5.7B in net income, a 43% jump over Q1’19. Meanwhile gross margins were up 4 percentage points to 60.6%, pushing Intel back above their much revered 60% gross margin threshold.

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back