PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yay it's real. I don't trust that date though, international stores say September. I'll wait until the date comes and goes on this one first.

Yay it's real. I don't trust that date though, international stores say September. I'll wait until the date comes and goes on this one first.

Why does everything good have to be black and red ugh

I'm just getting my final drives before all I need is new CPUs and GPUs launch and I'm starting to second guess my understanding of the M.2 setup in this board. I need another set of eyes to confirm. I'm using the x570 Crosshair VIII as a reference because I'm assuming there will either be a chipset refresh/update for Zen 3 or at a minimum just rereleased with an updated BIOS out of the box. The way I read this is you can occupy both M.2 slots in PCIe mode without knocking your first PCIe slot (with the GPU) from 16x down to 8x? As in I can happily run two PCIe NVMe drives while keeping my GPU slot 16x. Spec sheet and chart from manual

Screenshot_20200805-100501_OneDrive.jpg

The reason I ask is because I'm used to this configuration which is also on the x470 VII Hero where if you have an M.2 drive in PCIe mode in anything but the first slot then you lose lanes from your GPU slot.

Screenshot_20200805-100531_OneDrive.jpg

With AMD 3rd gen, the CPU provides 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes and the chipset provides further lanes depending on the board. Usually this means that the top PCIe slot and the top M.2 slot are directly connected to the CPU (which is how B550 gets PCIe 4.0), with any other PCIe lanes going through the chipset.

Reading that chart, you'd almost certainly be using the config in the first column in the first chart (1 GPU, 2x M.2 SSDs), so yes, you should be able to use 2x M.2 PCIe 4.0 drives without losing any potential benefit from the x16 slot also being 4.0

EDIT: For clarity's sake, there are actually 24 PCIe 4.0 lanes from the CPU, but x4 are used for the chipset

index.php

Last edited:
With AMD 3rd gen, the CPU provides 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes and the chipset provides further lanes depending on the board. Usually this means that the top PCIe slot and the top M.2 slot are directly connected to the CPU (which is how B550 get PCIe 4.0), with the rest going through the chipset.

Reading that chart, you'd almost certainly be using the config in the first column in the first chart (1 GPU, 2x M.2 SSDs), so yes, you should be able to use 2x M.2 PCIe 4.0 drives without losing any potential benefit from the x16 slot also being 4.0

Cheers. I read that to be the case, but do you know how hard it is to google that question and finding a straight answer? That's why I was starting to second guess my interpretation.

Curious question, reading that some of you will spend upto 3k on a GPU to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
If you already have a 2080 why upgrade to a 3080, wouldn't you be better to buy another 2080 and run dual/SLI?
Cheaper and more powerful.
Only if you want to mine eth...

Monitor just arrived! good to be back at 27"!

So out of the box the colors were a little bit whack, so I used the color profile from tftcentral.

Also, minor annoyance that it doesn't swivel, but I'm loving this thing so far.

So much better than my BenQ XL2720Z

So out of the box the colors were a little bit whack, so I used the color profile from tftcentral.

Also, minor annoyance that it doesn't swivel, but I'm loving this thing so far.

So much better than my BenQ XL2720Z

Which one did you go with again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something is going on with my PC, the slightest bump and it resets. I took everything apart and checked the connections but still doing it.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Something is going on with my PC, the slightest bump and it resets. I took everything apart and checked the connections but still doing it.

Any suggestions?

Check the power cord as well as the connections in the back of the PSU if it's modular. Especially the 24pin one. Sounds like a supply issue.

Check the power cord as well as the connections in the back of the PSU if it's modular. Especially the 24pin one. Sounds like a supply issue.

It just turned off without even knocking it, everything turns off but the light on my motherboard stays on.

It just turned off without even knocking it, everything turns off but the light on my motherboard stays on.

Did it turn back on? Coils hold charge, if I turn off my computer and remove the cable the motherboard lights will stay on for a little bit. I'd still check everything, I reckon you've got a loose power connection somewhere.

Did it turn back on? Coils hold charge, if I turn off my computer and remove the cable the motherboard lights will stay on for a little bit. I'd still check everything, I reckon you've got a loose power connection somewhere.

Yeah turned back on, I’ll look at the connections again.

Yeah turned back on, I’ll look at the connections again.

Check the connectors and you might also have a short somewhere, so just double check that your mobo isn't touching the case.

I found I had a loose motherboard screw that would very occasionally cause the system to reboot like you are describing.

Everyone has been saying August 27 announcement and Sept 17 release for a few days now but until NVIDIA announce it then I'll take it with a grain of salt lol. Igor's Lab reckon Zen 3 might be called Ryzen 5000 and there was an engineering sample 4950x/5950x spotted with a 4.8ghz boost clock spotted. If they clock a bit higher at launch we might get 4900x and 4950x (or 5900x/5950x) with a 5ghz boost clock. Unlikely to hit that 5ghz while gaming or whatever but if they can sit around 4.4-4.6ghz that'll be awesome.

It might be BS but I wonder if it's to avoid confusion with the mobile and APUs that are already under 4000 naming schemes yet none are Zen 3.

Press X to doubt.

AMD's naming situation is a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back