PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I ended up pulling the trigger on a KBM combo, went with Corsair, never tried their peripherals. Since it's just for the loungeroom, I went a bit weird with it. Got a K70 Pro Mini keyboard and a Scimitar Elite something or rather mouse. I've always wanted an MMO style mouse and I've never had a 65% keyboard.

I don't mind Corsair and their prices are better than Razer. Had a K70, K95 and a couple Iron Claw mice (is computer mouse plural mice?) and the only reason I switched was because I stopped using Corsair cooling parts and their iCue software doesn't play nice with any other brand's software.

So this will be "new pc attempt #35374398437598347398570349834"

But after seeing various pre-builds on the market I've been inspired to once again iron out what my ideal dream pc would look like. Over the years I've had the dream of getting a shoebox (or as near of a shoebox size as possible) style system. I've bounced between wanting all the trimmings (internal bluray drive as I still buy and rip discs + as good of a video card as I can cram into such a confined space lol). As I've been using external drives with my laptops over the last 3 years I'm more comfortable with just having the "shoebox" + video card and can continue using the external bluray drives.

Anyhoo I've got a suggested list of parts (motherboard, cpu, video card etc) and have an idea of what every dream component would cost ($4,300 basically - YIKES lol). I still want it all, but I can make it cheaper by not buying everything in one hit and just doing it in stages, then upgrading as I go along. Did something similar with my last desktop pc 12 years ago (picked the perfect motherboard, cpu at the time.... but gradually swapped out the video card, added another hdd and also replaced the o/s hdd, tripled the ram etc etc).

Doing it that way I can reduce the initial cost by nearly half the price ($1,699 for the video card, and $300+ on the additional ssd etc).

I'm hoping that this will be a Christmas present for myelf, or at worst get my act together and officially pull the trigger by March next year :p

but I can make it cheaper by not buying everything in one hit and just doing it in stages, then upgrading as I go along. Did something similar with my last desktop pc 12 years ago (picked the perfect motherboard, cpu at the time.... but gradually swapped out the video card, added another hdd and also replaced the o/s hdd, tripled the ram etc etc).

This is what I'm currently doing but with a full build. I've already got the CPU and RAM and will probably grab case and fans next weekend. The PSU and CPU cooler I wanted both just had revisions that are arriving in store the next few weeks and since they'll unlikely receive a discount anytime soon I'll grab those in the next few weeks. Same with the motherboard. Only thing I'm holding out on for black friday sales are the SSDs. For total price I think I'm looking at around $6k but buying it over time breaking it up and grabbing sales shaves a bit off and doesn't make it seem so bad. If I get it all this year and only have the graphics card to go then there will be less bill shock when they launch lol.

As for GPU you're in a tricky spot. A lot of NVIDIA cards have either been discontinued or about to be discontinued due to the launch of the next gen in January. While prices of current stock should drop so they clear it, supply and demand has caused price increases. So either grab what you want right now or keep your pennies for early next year. Even AMD will be releasing new graphics cards early next year but a little after NVIDIA.

As for GPU you're in a tricky spot. A lot of NVIDIA cards have either been discontinued or about to be discontinued due to the launch of the next gen in January. While prices of current stock should drop so they clear it, supply and demand has caused price increases. So either grab what you want right now or keep your pennies for early next year. Even AMD will be releasing new graphics cards early next year but a little after NVIDIA.

I'm (probably) ignorantly confident that I won't have an issue unless they all just vanish into the ether, which is possible I guess.

That said I was planning on buying the video card first getting the most expensive item out of the way, then the rest later on :p lol.

I'm confident that what I have in mind as a setup will work - have seen it executed (without having to mod/cut out parts of the case) by several people on pcpartpicker.

I’m worried my 6900xt is on its way out.

Started getting black screen flickering this morning and then restarting.

Updated to latest drivers and it was worse.

Will try DDU in safe mode and see if that works but I’m not feeling good about it.

It’s got worse.

I’d gone out and turned computer off.

When I got home and turned it on got a blue screen of death.

Auto repair didn’t work.

Currently running system restore.

🤞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Windows repair, DDU uninstall and new drivers seems to have done the trick.

What's strange is the symptoms sounded like a hardware fault (even the monitor or cable), but great news that a fresh driver install worked. Windows has had some major cumulative updates recently so maybe Windows just borked something.

What's strange is the symptoms sounded like a hardware fault (even the monitor or cable), but great news that a fresh driver install worked. Windows has had some major cumulative updates recently so maybe Windows just borked something.
I was resigned to a major hardware issue.
I’m thankful that doing the whole proper troubleshooting showed it wasn’t.
May have been a corrupt windows or driver file that caused the issue.

I was resigned to a major hardware issue.
I’m thankful that doing the whole proper troubleshooting showed it wasn’t.
May have been a corrupt windows or driver file that caused the issue.

Presumably one of the recent Windows updates has stuffed my wireless Xbox controller adaptor. I don't mind so much because I can just use a cable since I'm at my desk anyway but some of these updates get screwy.

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back