2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Watch: Fremantle veterans continue strong WAFL form as Peel Thunder miss chance to seal minor premiership​

Josh KemptonThe West Australian
Sun, 25 August 2024 6:00PM
Comments

13 Fremantle-listed players featured for Peel Thunder as they missed a chance to claim the minor premiership with a 20-point loss to Swan Districts at Sullivan Logistics Stadium on Saturday.
Here’s how they fared.
James Aish: Registered 26 disposals, the equal-most of any Thunder player. Could have helped out in the middle but was still stationed mostly across half-back.
Neil Erasmus: Missed his running mate Will Brodie as his side were beaten around the ball but produced another strong effort, winning 25 disposals and laying nine tackles.
Hugh Davies: A muddy ball made things difficult in his interceptor role but he repelled some attacks with strong marks. Has been helped greatly by McDonald’s inclusion.
Jack Delean: Was good again in the reserves, kicking two goals.
Tom Emmett: Showed his class in difficult conditions by slotting two of the Thunder’s four goals. Was injected into some centre bounces when his side needed a spark.
Ethan Hughes: Another very good performance, defending stoutly and using the ball neatly. Has been the Thunder’s best performer over the last month.
Ethan Hughes.
Odin Jones: Looked to be battling a side problem all day, spending long periods receiving medical attention. Recorded just three hit-outs and one disposal.
Max Knobel: Held his own against one of the competition’s premier ruckmen and former Docker Scott Jones, winning 33 hit-outs.
Sebit Kuek: Has done some chop-out ruck work in recent weeks but played the entire game as a forward, where he was hardly sighted.
Oscar McDonald: Set up the defence in expert fashion and did not lose a contest himself all day. Has hardly missed a beat since returning from a knee injury which cost him much of his season.
Oscar McDonald.
Ollie Murphy: Held down a key defensive post in the reserves.
Cooper Simpson: A few ‘almost’ moments but did not have much of an impact.
Ethan Stanley: Continues to fill a thankless role on the wing, running all day from goal-post to goal-post.
Matt Taberner: Kicked one goal on a difficult day for the key forwards.
Karl Worner.
Conrad Williams: Was caught with the ball on a few occasions in the reserves.
Karl Worner: Among his side’s best across half-back, playing an important role in spring-boarding offensive chains. Limped from the ground after being kicked in the shin in the third term but played out the game without issue.

12 First picked eligible players
  1. Liam Reidy
  2. Hugh Davies
  3. Pat Voss
  4. Will Brodie
  5. Neil Erasmus
  6. Karl Worner
  7. Nathan O’Driscoll
  8. Cooper Simpson
  9. Ethan Hughes
  10. Ethan Stanley
  11. Tom Emmett
  12. Matthew Taberner

Those available who have played a lot of reserves
  • Sebit Kuek
  • Odin Jones
  • Jack Delean
  • Conrad Williams
  • Ollie Murphy
  • Max Knobel

Richmond Mid season recruit (who can return)
  • Jacob Blight
Be interested to see if Voss plays as well. Conservative approach?

Be interested to see if Voss plays as well. Conservative approach?
Tabs should not play he is a liability, rather go with Kuek (yes he had a bad game against EP but he needs to be given the opportuity to prove he is AFL standard, Tabs is cooked with his bad back

Tabs should not play he is a liability, rather go with Kuek (yes he had a bad game against EP but he needs to be given the opportuity to prove he is AFL standard, Tabs is cooked with his bad back
Kuek is not qualified if the rules on the previous page are using the word 'league' to mean just league matches rather than WAFL over AFL. Sebit has only played 5 league games.

Kuek is not qualified if the rules on the previous page are using the word 'league' to mean just league matches rather than WAFL over AFL. Sebit has only played 5 league games.
I think in those circs the ability to apply for exceptions would be enlivened. These rules serve to stop Peel from loading up with clearly AFL-level players, not stop young players who've been shunted in Reserves or had injuries from playing in the League finals.

Regardless, I think the 12 that Superkoops listed will be about right. Gotta bear in mind that Peel is a Partner club that itself has a motive to win a WAFL flag, not just our developmental team. Plus there's a level of sentimentality that'll be attached to Hughes and Tabs getting their swansong and hopefully ending their Freo careers with WAFL flags.

I think they'll need an exemption for them to count
Probably but let’s be honest those I had in the reserves list are line all at best and outside the best available first 12.

• Big Max Knoble is most likely - played 5 league games (past 4) and 11 reserves in 2024.
  • Seb Kuek has played last 5 league games and 2 reserves games prior to that.
  • Ollie Murphy has played 8 league games and 2 reserves. With Oscar McDonald not eligible he could be called back if Jacob Blight isn’t released by Richmond.
  • Jack Delean has played 12 league and 5 reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be absolutely shocked unless he's getting delisted which would shock me even more.
There is precedence. I’d doubt he would get delisted.

Matthew Parker 2021

Connor West

There is precedence. I’d doubt he would get delisted.

Matthew Parker 2021

Connor West
Very much up to Richmond. Thought Parker was the year he was delisted from Richmond but stand corrected.

FREMANTLE QUALIFIED TO PLAY FOR PEEL​

1. Hugh Davies

2. Jack Delean

3. Neil Eramsus

4. Tom Emmett

5. Ethan Stanley

6. Ollie Murphy

7. Odin Jones

8. Will Brodie

10. Karl Worner

11. Ethan Hughes

12. Nathan O’Driscoll

13. Copper Simpson

14. Patrick Voss

15. Matt Taberner

Fremantle have had requests to play Oscar McDonald and Sebit Kuek in the WAFL finals for Peel Thunder denied after they didn’t qualify during the season.

Rookie tall Odin Jones and draftee defender Ollie Murphy were given exemptions by The West Australian Football Commission to play finals after not meeting the qualifying requirements of playing at least six league games including two of the last eight.

9 is missing but I think it should be Liam Reidy as it says he qualified.

FREMANTLE QUALIFIED TO PLAY FOR PEEL​

1. Hugh Davies

2. Jack Delean

3. Neil Eramsus

4. Tom Emmett

5. Ethan Stanley

6. Ollie Murphy

7. Odin Jones

8. Will Brodie

10. Karl Worner

11. Ethan Hughes

12. Nathan O’Driscoll

13. Copper Simpson

14. Patrick Voss

15. Matt Taberner

Fremantle have had requests to play Oscar McDonald and Sebit Kuek in the WAFL finals for Peel Thunder denied after they didn’t qualify during the season.

Rookie tall Odin Jones and draftee defender Ollie Murphy were given exemptions by The West Australian Football Commission to play finals after not meeting the qualifying requirements of playing at least six league games including two of the last eight.

9 is missing but I think it should be Liam Reidy as it says he qualified.

Them denying Kuek and McDonald and allowing Jones and Murphy is a load of BS imo.

Is there any reason other than Kuek and McDonald are likely to be in the first 12 picked but Jones and Murphy are borderline. I can’t think of any - doubt they played enough WAFL reserves games games to justify inclusion.

Conrad Williams being absent completely is interesting.

Them denying Kuek and McDonald and allowing Jones and Murphy is a load of BS imo.

Is there any reason other than Kuek and McDonald are likely to be in the first 12 picked but Jones and Murphy are borderline. I can’t think of any - doubt they played enough WAFL reserves games games to justify inclusion.

Conrad Williams being absent completely is interesting.

Very strange, I would have thought that players who are genuinely injured most of the year would have priority (but not best 23 players) to play.

Kuek’s chances of a contract extension with Freo might just have been extinguished by the WAFL. A strong finals performance may have helped.

Pity McDonald didn’t get an opportunity to build on his return but maybe more understandable but disappointing.

Very strange, I would have thought that players who are genuinely injured most of the year would have priority (but not best 23 players) to play.

Kuek’s chances of a contract extension with Freo might just have been extinguished by the WAFL. A strong finals performance may have helped.

Pity McDonald didn’t get an opportunity to build on his return but maybe more understandable but disappointing.
100% correct, but rather see Odin Jones play rather than Tabs , lets look to the future

100% correct, but rather see Odin Jones play rather than Tabs , lets look to the future

I haven’t always agreed with quotas during the season of how many Freo players they can pick but I 100% support Peel getting full control over which players they pick in the side.

Taberner is probably more likely to win them games.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back