2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the WAFL GF it is clear Emmett’s time is done. Shame showed a bit here and there but out of contract - tight for list spots and just has no composure. The best thing he did was feed out a handball to Simpson for a late goal and even then he managed lose his footing and fall over.

I wonder how Emmett would go played down back at Peel, he’s a good size and is diligent to his role.

Specifically to help him develop his composure, learn quickly if silly decisions lead to the ball going back over your head.

Raz at AFL level to-date, just doesn’t think quickly enough. Understandable for a young kid but the difference in time available to midfielders between the two levels is stark.

The first step is to completely dominate in the midfield at state league level, and look like he’s got heaps of time on the ball and in total control at this lower level.

Hopefully then next year he will be trained to think quicker and more instinctively with the ball in his hands at AFL level.
He needs to be given a block of AFL games to develop this. Not 1-2 sub games then out etc. surely we can do this next year and the old guys can become depth. If not performing after the block then back to WAFL for the depth to come in.

We need to balance the development with winning and be cherry rope with our best team by the end of the season. Hopefully our maturity from the core means we don’t desperately need the old heads anymore.

God the sulking from people regarding Peel having AFL listed players is so incredibly uninformed it's embarassing.

Pretty sure Peel had less AFL listed players in finals than most weeks during the regular season tbh.

Some of East Perth’s best players in Brayshaw, Crowden, Macreadie, Schumacher and North were formally AFL listed talents not originally from WA in the first place. Then add someone like Medhat who’s a West Perth player originally (and I assume others). Home grown team my arse - Peel probably had more players from their zone playing than East Perth and if not it’s quite close.

He needs to be given a block of AFL games to develop this. Not 1-2 sub games then out etc. surely we can do this next year and the old guys can become depth. If not performing after the block then back to WAFL for the depth to come in.

We need to balance the development with winning and be cherry rope with our best team by the end of the season. Hopefully our maturity from the core means we don’t desperately need the old heads anymore.
The other problem for Erasmus is that he needs to be able to play another position at AFL level other than inside mid, to an acceptable standard for a finals team.

It’s just not realistic to expect Ras to take a full time inside mid spot in the long term when Brayshaw, Serong, Young and potentially Warner are all well ahead of him in that spot.

If he can become a decent half forward flanker too, then suddenly he might only need to play 30% midfield time and suddenly all that’s in his way for a B22 place is Bailey Banfield, not our top 3 players in the B&F

I would've thought the same thing about dropping Aish for Wagner, and Aish actually started this season quite well. When the difficult but right decision is staring JL in the face, I think he pulls the trigger.

Besides, to the extent that Sonny and Fyfe in particular can be of any use next year (and I think they can), it simply cannot be as week-in-week-out starters. Fyfe's 2nd half of the season was a shell of the first half: the Doig results tell as much. And Sonny looked a shell of his current self playing through that hand injury. Granted, at the time we were also playing Emmett, so Sonny was often not even the worst starting small fwd.
Dropping Aish isn't the same as dropping Fyfe and Walters. 2 of our all time greats. I think they both have something left to offer but they shouldn't be guaranteed to play every week just because of their names.

Only when he was coming back from injury. I don't remember him being dropped from the senior team.
Yes, but he was available for selection and was only out 2 weeks from memory. So it was a change that I wasn’t expecting. He also certainly played quite a bit as sub. I can see the veterans like JOM, Aish, Fyfe and Walters spending time as sub.

I’m sure we’ll see NOD and Erasmus play a lot more next year. Likes of JOM and Fyfe to spend more time as sub/Managed.

The other problem for Erasmus is that he needs to be able to play another position at AFL level other than inside mid, to an acceptable standard for a finals team.

It’s just not realistic to expect Ras to take a full time inside mid spot in the long term when Brayshaw, Serong, Young and potentially Warner are all well ahead of him in that spot.

If he can become a decent half forward flanker too, then suddenly he might only need to play 30% midfield time and suddenly all that’s in his way for a B22 place is Bailey Banfield, not our top 3 players in the B&F
Baileys not in our B22 though. If you are talking half forward line its Freddy, Sturt, Switta or Shai Bolton he would have to replace.
Its starting to get real tough to select these players.
You are really talking about Swittas and Boltons hybrid mid/forward role.

It would help him, but if those 3 play 80% game time, and a portion of that is up forward he could play there full time. Really though needs to be good enough to be the best option.

Ras could rotate forward too, wouldn’t be a gun but good to rove to the big boys.

Warner can rotate wing, forward and in the guts. He is at his best running forward of the play.

Ras getting banged up in the guts every week is a better option than Young or Andy from a longevity point of view, who are really handy on the outside for different reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back