Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't they spending something like 300M on transport upgrades?

Yes.

Dedicated train services
  • Six-platform Stadium Station for specific destinations for easy transfers.
  • Nearby stowage for up to 117 railcars to keep a continuous flow of trains following events.
  • Upgraded East Perth Station to accommodate additional passengers on event days.
Complementary bus services
  • A 20-stand Peninsula Bus Hub will service suburban areas without rail services.
  • An eight-stand Gloucester Park Bus Hub in East Perth will allow spectators to access more than 40,000 inner-city car bays.
Bridge entry
  • A new Swan River pedestrian bridge between the Burswood Peninsula and East Perth will also attract people to the precinct outside event days.
  • The Swan River pedestrian bridge will ease the pedestrian flow on Windan Bridge and divert traffic away from East Perth’s high-density residential area.
  • A new pedestrian underpass under Victoria Park Drive will provide safe access to the new Stadium Station.
Enhancing existing infrastructure
  • Extend and widen Victoria Park Drive road bridge over expanded rail network.
  • Improve Great Eastern Highway and Victoria Park Drive intersection to accommodate increased bus and vehicle movement.

PTA Announcement.

Is there something I'm missing here? this is insane. This money could have been used to place the stadium at a better location where there's more city, social life, restaurants, pubs, easy access etc. ...or it could be used to improve something else, but why push shit uphill?

Is there something I'm missing here? this is insane. This money could have been used to place the stadium at a better location where there's more city, social life, restaurants, pubs, easy access etc. ...or it could be used to improve something else, but why push shit uphill?

What location would that be?

Burswood is the best location for it.

There is no other location that could have more of the things you're looking for. It's not exactly far from the CBD.

The stadium is right next to the Armadale line.

The issue with our public transport is that it doesn't reach everyone. For those it does reach, it works pretty well.

The alternative to having a great number of people come in by public transport would be having them come in by car, which would be absolutely chaotic. This is far more sensible.

It does clear a few thing up since I don't live in Perth, but what worries me is the "in theory" factor. The very reason I'm a bit vocal about this is there are a lot of assumptions being made, perhaps valid, but seeing how Footbal Park worked out "in theory", argh... I'm just too skeptical. :confused:

What location would that be?

Burswood is the best location for it.

There is no other location that could have more of the things you're looking for. It's not exactly far from the CBD.

I hope so, you do have a point, it's not that far. :)

It does clear a few thing up since I don't live in Perth, but what worries me is the "in theory" factor. The very reason I'm a bit vocal about this is there are a lot of assumptions being made, perhaps valid, but seeing how Footbal Park worked out "in theory", argh... I'm just too skeptical. :confused:

I thought you might have had Football Park in mind.

FP is about 12 (?) kms from the CBD, Burswood is about 3.

Then why build a stadium that will rely on public transport?!? Especially since public transport upgrades will cost (supposedly) 300 million!

Public transport upgrades have far more application than just 22 games a year - about as relevant as a foodie precinct surviving on 22 days a year.

New pubs and restaurants will open at East Perth and along the Burswood peninsula to take advantage of not only the new stadium and the footbridge but also cricket and the juggernaut that is Big Bash. All year round sport will mean it'll become the next entertainment hotspot in Perth.

New pubs and restaurants will open at East Perth and along the Burswood peninsula to take advantage of not only the new stadium and the footbridge but also cricket and the juggernaut that is Big Bash. All year round sport will mean it'll become the next entertainment hotspot in Perth.

finally, some proper effort to make areas outside of the golden triangle interesting and exciting.

the arc from south perth through vic park, rivervale, ascot and even mt lawley will benefit from this

What 30plus events p.a
300+ days no event.:confused:

I would have preferred it to be closer to the city but alas I can see why that wasn't the case

...can they just hurry up and build the thing ....thank good these people are not in charge of the Olympics in Brazil ......

They say 2018. ........yeah right

WA has a history of being late on everything when it's decided to be built

I have met Ron Alexander and some of the original committee and if any of these bafoons are on the current project team we are in trouble people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What 30plus events p.a
300+ days no event.:confused:
So nobody goes to Subi's bars and restaurants when there's no footy on, right? And of course nobody goes to Mt Lawley and Vic Park because there's no reason for anyone to go there to begin with :rolleyes:

I would have preferred it to be closer to the city but alas I can see why that wasn't the case

...can they just hurry up and build the thing ....thank good these people are not in charge of the Olympics in Brazil ......

They say 2018. ........yeah right

WA has a history of being late on everything when it's decided to be built

I have met Ron Alexander and some of the original committee and if any of these bafoons are on the current project team we are in trouble people.

As I pointed out before, they are ahead of schedule, so they are already way ahead of Rio.

Do you think they can just click their fingers and it'll all be done?

So nobody goes to Subi's bars and restaurants when there's no footy on, right? And of course nobody goes to Mt Lawley and Vic Park because there's no reason for anyone to go there to begin with :rolleyes:

you have to admit, subi is dead these days

People like to bag governments, especially Liberal ones, because its fashionable these days, but the Barnett government has been consistently ahead of schedule for pretty much every major infrastructure project. Only blemish is the delay in opening Fiona Stanley, but that's not due to construction, but just crap with Serco.

People like to bag governments, especially Liberal ones, because its fashionable these days, but the Barnett government has been consistently ahead of schedule for pretty much every major infrastructure project. Only blemish is the delay in opening Fiona Stanley, but that's not due to construction, but just crap with Serco.
its easier to criticize than give constructive points of view, hence the popularity growth of the greens. give them a bit of time on power & they do not know what to do

its easier to criticize than give constructive points of view, hence the popularity growth of the greens. give them a bit of time on power & they do not know what to do

Evens Greens voters follow the footy and would like a nice new stadium. Hell, they'd even be supportive of the idea of making most punters take public transport to the stadium rather than drive.

Evens Greens voters follow the footy and would like a nice new stadium. Hell, they'd even be supportive of the idea of making most punters take public transport to the stadium rather than drive.
there have been groups have whinged about, the money can be better spent, eg hospitals etc
people will whinge about the new stadium, then once built think its the greatest thing since electricity!

most places are dead now days. not many people go out now days compared to 3 or 4 years ago, regardless of where you are in Australia
The traditional pubs and nightclubs are dying out, but the small bars and cheap eateries in Mt Lawley, Leederville and the CDB are thriving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back