Peter Matera vs Today's midfielders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bairstow aged quickly. It was his last ever game in the 94 gf. Even at his peak and fully fit though it would be silly to put him on matera and yet they did despite the fact he was playing with a bad injury. Mind boggles at some of blights gf moves.

What on earth was the thinking behind that? Exploit them going the other way? It's not like Bairstow had a defensive bone in his body even when fully fit.

Shame there aren't many highlights of his 250 odd games on youtube. Vividly remember him kicking 7 goals at the MCG on Essendon in the 90's. Bombed a set shot goal from the boundary line 60m out. Took the match saving mark in the middle of the ground in a 1on1 contest in the dying seconds. Might have to order that game if possible.

I hate west coast like nothing els, but Matera would absolutely smash any of the current wings & would also be the best line breaking half back if required.
Superstar!

"Not that bottle, the bottle i mixed" Overheard at Eagles QTR time huddle?

Good to see you aren't still bitter :D

What was it, 4 failed grand finals in 6 years under Blight?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see you aren't still bitter :D

What was it, 4 failed grand finals in 6 years under Blight?
Oh... i'm well aware of the defeats and i certainly would never doubt Peter Matera's ability as a footballer (he's one of the best i have seen.) What i do doubt is the absolute squeaky clean authenticity of those Premiership wins. It matters not these days, it was a long time ago and as the Russian Olympic team have just found out, it's a lot easier to get nabbed these days. The reality is we didn't have a good enough defence. We've more than made up for it this past decade and thankfully saved the competition from the "hell" years that were 2005/6

Oh... i'm well aware of the defeats and i certainly would never doubt Peter Matera's ability as a footballer (he's one of the best i have seen.) What i do doubt is the absolute squeaky clean authenticity of those Premiership wins. It matters not these days, it was a long time ago and as the Russian Olympic team have just found out, it's a lot easier to get nabbed these days. The reality is we didn't have a good enough defence. We've more than made up for it this past decade and thankfully saved the competition from the "hell" years that were 2005/6

Speaking of your recent era, you had Thompson/Dank/Robinson of Essendon fame around your club then. So as they say, people in glass houses ;)

Is it easier to accept than not good enough - we lost to the Hawks last year because we weren't good enough that day.

One of very few players that would do very well in different eras.

So if Herb Elliot were running today, for comparative purposes he'd still be running 1960 times OR would he still be undefeated over 1500 metres.

Go back to Haydn Bunton Senior, 1930s, would be wiping the floor with any but the very best about today, and maybe the very best !!

This thread has got me thinking,i was at the pub having a few quiet beers a couple weeks ago and there was a West Coast v Bombers game on from the 90's. Both star studded lineups but the Eagles looked so much bigger and stronger. The game was played extremely quick and both sides looked like they would easily carve up most teams in this era.

People talk about the supposed speed now. You watch 90s games and there is is no stop start whatsoever. No backwards passes. The ball travelled very quickly.

The Roos v Essendon game in 99 puts games now to shame. Scores from turnovers would have been about 0.0 to 0.1. Kicks just not missed. Saw Port had 11.3 from turnover during the third on Saturday. The idea footy was slower back then is such a myth.

There are 3 standout wingmen for me in my time watching the game:

Keith Greig
Robbie Flower
Peter Matera

Special mention to Nigel Lappin and Francis Bourke (who is one of my all time favs but is also a legend backman).

Those 3 are in no particular order.
Yet Brian Wood seem to control Keith Greg and Nathan Bower controlled Peter Matera....

Go figure.

People talk about the supposed speed now. You watch 90s games and there is is no stop start whatsoever. No backwards passes. The ball travelled very quickly.

The Roos v Essendon game in 99 puts games now to shame. Scores from turnovers would have been about 0.0 to 0.1. Kicks just not missed. Saw Port had 11.3 from turnover during the third on Saturday. The idea footy was slower back then is such a myth.
not sure faster is the word i'd use. i'd say football was more direct back then. no switching to the fat side to create an opening. no zones was just win ball get ball to your power forward.

but in terms of the skill level and physical capabilities of the players it's absolutely no contest. i was watching 98 GF few weeks ago and some of the kicking skills on display would simply not be AFL level in 2016. if you just plucked the 99' roos out of the 90s and inserted them into 2013 and had to play the hawks the hawks would win by 100.

Bradley goes into my special mention list. Not in my all time great. Same with Schimma. As does Douggie Hawkins. I had a man crush on Nigel Lappin when he was playing so hence calling him out. What Lappin did in the GF being busted up and all is phenomenal in my eyes.

No love for Dipper? Played wing *and* ate all the pies...

How would you rate this bloke vs the top quality midfielders of today. Who could match it with Roo? Who is better or on par with the midfield magician and which quality gun mids would pistol Pete eclipse handily?

All time great that fella. Did a number on Geelong a cuppla times in that 92 finals series.
Roo? Are you talking about Matera or someone else?

There are 3 standout wingmen for me in my time watching the game:

Keith Greig
Robbie Flower
Peter Matera

Special mention to Nigel Lappin and Francis Bourke (who is one of my all time favs but is also a legend backman).

Those 3 are in no particular order.
Doug Hawkins says hello. Dipper wasn't too shabby either (different type to the others but no less effective).

Tulip would be the pick of that very elite bunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Matera vs Today's midfielders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back