Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, if you choose to not contest the ball and instead protect yourself, which leads to the concussion of another player, you'll probably be suspended.
Yep, that's fine with me if that's the new standard, but the AFL won't apply this rule evenly.

There had to be a penalty - i thought 4 was a tad harsh for a decision make in a couple of tenths of a second. the SPP one was a clear high bump on a player unable to protect himself as he was being tackled by an opponent and was handballing the ball.

But this sets the bar and players will now need to change their thinking and way about how they go at the contest to either try to spoil by hand, hold station or if you go for it raise your knees and whomever gets injured (you, them or both) so be it.

"Thought" doing a lot of work there - it is the definition of f@cking split second instinctive act. If we were actually serious at punishing intent in this bush league of a comp Kozzie Pickett wouldn't have gotten fully HALF of what Wright got for his dog act on Smith.

The Pickett decision was a shocker there were 3 horrible calls that round I remember it. All 3 deserved double. Two wrongs don’t make a right glad they are coming down hard

4 weeks is fine, probably would’ve given it 3 myself but SPP set the precedent and I’m glad they have been consistent.

Was Webster’s bump only 3 weeks worse than this? I’m not sure.

That’s the one I have an issue with Webster should have been half a season

This sort of split second incidental contact is literally unavoidable in a game like Aussie Rules. Sure, there are plenty more deliberate or careless acts which need to be stamped out for the sake of avoiding concussion incidents, but not a single Swans fan has prosecuted a convincing case as to how Wright was in any way culpable of doing anything except what basically all players would do in that scenario.

It isn’t unavoidable he had alternatives they were literally stated in the case, could have spoiled or gone for the mark you know actually going for the mark and not with your arm tucked in. Mark the ball go for the contest if there’s injury there so be it but it’s a contest

Keep on with your one-eyed moralising Swans fans, it's a great look!
Dude, he stopped playing the ball. That's literally the basis on which all laws are interpreted in the AFL. 'The player who makes the ball their sole objective will recieve the benefit of the doubt in adjudication'. Wright didn't do that. He stopped and protected himself. If he had gone through with the spoil and KO'd Cunningham, that would have sucked but there wouldn't have been a case to answer for because his sole focus would have been playing the ball. How are people not understanding this fundamental concept?

Don’t go high then and players will get the message and change their ways they already have since the crackdown has occurred game is safer than it’s ever been
Some collisions can't be avoided, if you are worried about the potential getting hurt in a contest feom time to time, or have underlying health concerns then don't play. Can't avoid some collisions. If it's all about sports avoiding concussion then what's next? Boxers won't be able to punch? Like, where does it stop?

Some collisions can't be avoided, if you are worried about the potential getting hurt in a contest feom time to time, or have underlying health concerns then don't play. Can't avoid some collisions. If it's all about sports avoiding concussion then what's next? Boxers won't be able to punch? Like, where does it stop?

If players take every precaution to others there won’t be suspensions. Weight did not do this he had two very easy alternatives which players have done. Mark the ball above the eyeline or spoil it out of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So just a touch over half the suspension of what Webster got yet Cunningham could be out longer than Simpkin was

The MRO just picking numbers out of thin air

Cunningham should be back next round (won’t play this week)

Yeah, agree that should've been more

Na 4-5 seems right thought they may have gone 5, but I did say 4 weeks was pretty right, was a 4-6 weeker they went in the lower scale

This sort of split second incidental contact is literally unavoidable in a game like Aussie Rules. Sure, there are plenty more deliberate or careless acts which need to be stamped out for the sake of avoiding concussion incidents, but not a single Swans fan has prosecuted a convincing case as to how Wright was in any way culpable of doing anything except what basically all players would do in that scenario.
A) ya boi plead guilty lol
B) all he had to do was not recklessly jump at the contest. He could have short stepped and tried to spoil. He could have still jumped but not tucked up into the foetal position to protect himself. He did the only thing he couldn't do. Took his eyes off it and clattered into Cunningham.

Deal with it better

he jumped in the air when he was could have tackled

He did what Scott told him to do in his stupid Essendon (lets be thugs) Edge

I think he will get 3 weeks, but potentially more
Tackled?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

What's he going to do? Tackle a player who has marked the ball?

Bro it wasn't a ground ball contest, he was going for a mark and some ran into him.

A) ya boi plead guilty lol
B) all he had to do was not recklessly jump at the contest. He could have short stepped and tried to spoil. He could have still jumped but not tucked up into the foetal position to protect himself. He did the only thing he couldn't do. Took his eyes off it and clattered into Cunningham.

Deal with it better

Interesting way of “marking the ball” with the arm tucked in. What was he planning to catch it with?

Keep on with your one-eyed moralising Swans fans, it's a great look!
Burning Set On Fire GIF by US National Archives

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

Back