PF or GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Today's game got me thinking. As a supporter would you rather your team lost a PF or a GF? I know, I know, I want my team to go all the way but like every match its a 50-50 chance either way.

Would you rather your side lost a PF or experience a greater pain in losing a GF? Making GF is a big achievement but crickey you would feel ordinary for months if you lose it?

Thoughts

Stiffy_18 said:
Today's game got me thinking. As a supporter would you rather your team lost a PF or a GF? I know, I know, I want my team to go all the way but like every match its a 50-50 chance either way.

Would you rather your side lost a PF or experience a greater pain in losing a GF? Making GF is a big achievement but crickey you would feel ordinary for months if you lose it?

Thoughts

You could argue it either way Stiffmeister.

On the one hand you will always wonder if you made it to the GF instead of losing the PF would you have maybe won the flag.

On the other, if you make the GF, the pain would really hurt. At least you know if you were good enough however.

Fortunately, as supporters we don't have the choice of making such a decision.

Stiffy_18 said:

Thoughts

PF by a mile.

I'd take a red-hot crack at the GF over our PFs any day of the week...

GF for sure. I've had enough of PF losses given each time I though we were better than the other side (2002 - losing Tyson and McLeod didn't help, 2005 - not sure but we played crap and still had a chance to steal it and 1993 - well we got stage fright in the second half)

PS: Eagles have been in 4 losing GFs locally and I still enjoy getting there. Yeh, the results have gone the way I would have liked on the day but the pain is less than not making by bombing out in the PF (1999 and 2003). Now go and beat those Pies tomorrow!

I'd prefer a PF exit to a GF exit.

To experience a loss on the last Saturday in September and thereby watch the boys trudge off while the opposition lift the holy grail would be devastating.

dyertribe said:
I'd prefer a PF exit to a GF exit.

To experience a loss on the last Saturday in September and thereby watch the boys trudge off while the opposition lift the holy grail would be devastating.

Couldn't agree more... I'll take a PF loss and over a GF loss any day of the week... A GF loss would be absolutely shattering... I don't know if it's just me but every week of the finals the game becomes bigger, the thought/fear of losing intensifies, and all of a sudden it's much more than just a game of footy !! The though of losing on the last day in september is something i care not to even think about... It'd be one long trip back to Adelaide!!!

But having said that... Ask a player which he would prefer and i bet he'd rather have a crack at it, than safely bow out a week early left to comtemplate the shoulda, coulda, and woulda's!!

Personaly losing a GF fires you up for next year more than a PF.
Knowing you have gotten so close and theres no footy next week, whereas when you lose a PF you watch the GF thinkiing"I could do better" And be all like "meh"
Losing a GF bites at you over the preseason.

On a supporters note
Also the experiance, why shelter the kids.
Im much happier for the team to make the GF than the PF(not just saying that or being a smartass)
Making a GF is also a bigger(slightly) accomplishment than a PF. And you can (a little bit)get used to the week leading up, brownlow, media, parade etc.

Always GF, always.
you have to be in it, to win it. And you ain't in it from the PF.

Mind you I'd rather a PF than go out the round before by 83 points :)

Besides Heroes and Villains are made in the GF, no one remembers the PF too much. Always good to see who has the right stuff, like Leo Barry for instance.

Crow-mosone said:
no one remembers the PF too much.
Not sure about that. There's been some cracking preliminaries in the last decade or so.

Just today we heard Tim Lane mention Ablett's winner in 1994.
Then there's Lockett 1996...
Even non-Crows supporters would remember 1993 and 1997...
Dean Wallis 1999? :D

Agree with the rest though. I mean, if we're to believe that the worst thing is to be runners up, then should we feel relieved that we exited last week and saved ourselves the indignity of losing today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cro_Magnum said:
losing a PF is like dancing with your sister but losing a GF is like dancing with your brother

thats the first proper use of a metaphor i've seen on this site. Johnk take note. ;) And i agree with what your saying to, losing a GF is far more hurtful i would have thought.

A gift from above said:
thats the first proper use of a metaphor i've seen on this site. Johnk take note. ;) And i agree with what your saying to, losing a GF is far more hurtful i would have thought.
more hurtful, but you would learn more and the defeat makes you hungrier.
IMO.

Ask Western Bulldogs of '97, '98 and Saints of '04, '05 what they'd prefer.

After the crows PF loss, i heard a lot of people on the radio and what not saying 'i'd rather lose now than next week.' Here are some pros and cons:

Pros

- Get to experience an extra win (the PF.)

- Get to see your team play another week.

- Get to enjoy the great buildup to the game, despite a loss.

- Entire team get to experience and learn from the largest football stage of the year. Especially a team with a developing core group of players such as Adelaide.

- Membership/club profits up, perhaps continuing on the following year (varies.)

- Despite the cliches, people do tend to remember who came second. It adds to the clubs history, bragging rights and confidence to achieve a premiership.

Cons:

- Disappointment may be worse. Considering the overwhelming 'i'm still proud of the boys because look where we were last year'ness, this may not even have been an issue with many Adelaide supporters.

I know which one i'd choose.

Bomber1313 said:
more hurtful, but you would learn more and the defeat makes you hungrier.
IMO.

i agree that it will with the wcoast eagles it will do them good, they are primed for 3 or 4 genuine goes at a premiership in the next 5 yrs imo. For a older team (like us) it may break the back of a couple of players. From a supporters point of view surely it would be a GF that would hurt more.

GF without doubt.

You dont experience that last Saturday in September if your not there.

You have to give yourself a chance and by not being there the season has meant f**ckall really. Nice to get 3rd or 4th but just running out and feeling that 90+k crowd and know you actually belong out there.

A gift from above said:
"In language, a metaphor is a rhetorical trope defined as a direct comparison between two seemingly unrelated subjects. Typically, a first object is described as being or having the properties of a second object. In this way, the first object can be economically described because implicit and explicit attributes from the second object can be used to fill in the description of the first. Some (particularly in cognitive linguistics) see metaphor as a basic cognitive function, while others prefer the term analogy for this concept. However, metaphor is not always used for practical description and understanding; sometimes it is used for purely aesthetic reasons. Metaphors are commonly confused with similes, which use the words "like" or "as."

And all the time I thought it was a simile. Damn, should have known it was a "rhetorical trope"

Thats an interesting one.

I think making the Grand Final is special. However, to lose would be shattering. At the end of the day you have to be in it to win it though. You take the good with the bad...so Grand Final every time for me.

k
xx

The Port prelims carry pain from a wasted chance after finishing top. The Qualifying Finals in 02 and 03 hurt much much more than the Prelims did for me.

A couple of my Collingwood mates after 2002 said they rather wouldnt have made it after how they lost that year...they were shattered.

Id much rather lose a Prelim than a Granny.

Stiffy_18 said:

Thoughts

I would rather bow out in the PF, I would not be able to handle a GF loss it would be just tragic
:(

Remove this Banner Ad

PF or GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back