Review PF = Sydney 95-94 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

100% agree with what King just said on SEN

The game was ultimately lost when we put Maynard on Franklin and left him there for a half of football

Atrocious decision and I Was SCREAMING at the TV to get Maynard off him early in the second quarter. Darcy Moore had 1 intercept mark in the first half. Was moved to Franklin in the second half, kept him to basically nothing and got 9 intercept marks

There's your ball game and as fantastic as the coaching group has been this year, they ultimately cost us a Grand Final birth with this one baffling decision to "experiment" in a Prelim Final

I usually agree with king, but on this he’s wrong. Maynard held buddy well in 1st qtr. Then out marked him at start of the second and got moved off him. He didn’t spend a half of football on buddy.

It certainly wasn’t what cost us the game. Midfielders getting poleaxed is what killed us. Shit kicks trying to switch play cost us two easy goals for the swans. In ability to lock the ball ins fwd 50 cost us.

Ultimately, buddy kicked 2.1 for 4 qtrs of footy. He got all his scoring on the siren of the 1st, 2 min and 10 mins of second qtr. If King (and you think) Buddy Franklin kicking 2.1 costs ya a one point game, you got rocks in ya head. That’s well containing him ffs.

Guess what the score was before buddy even had a scoring shot? 38 to 18. Swans had had 8 shots to 3 before Buddy even line up for goal.

To say the coaching group cost us a GF birth is beyond stupid, it’s ****ing illogical and just highlights the lack of understanding of one of our key weaknesses in defensive, lack of height. Smfc exploited our lack of height brilliantly until Reid left the ground.

They poleaxed us out of the middle giving their fwds first use. It wouldn’t have matter who went on buddy, swans dominated in the midfield and would have found ried or heyward or McDonald or Heeney etc etc.

If Buddy kicked say 4 or 5 goals then sure you can say the match up was bad and the coaches had maynard on too long. But the fact is Buddy was contained by maynard in the first. As soon as he kicked his first, maynard swapped with Howe.

Darcy Moore can’t be everywhere. He can’t play on Buddy and Reid at the same time. So if swans mids got on top, they were always bound to exploit our lack of height no matter what match up we went with. They were on absolute fire up to half time . Had they kicked straight we 50plus points down, all because our mids didn’t stand up early.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've had a Geelong supporter and a Hawthorn supporter both tell me it was crap.
Ginni is umpired differently.
And it's time the AFL grew up - he's a high spirited country kid who loves footy - nothing more nothing less - interview with his Dad is posted here somewhere - he hasn't changed since the U 12s- this is just how he is.

The AFL is like a wicked stepmother to him

Screenshot_20220919-164654~2.png

And it's time the AFL grew up - he's a high spirited country kid who loves footy - nothing more nothing less - interview with his Dad is posted here somewhere - he hasn't changed since the U 12s- this is just how he is.

View attachment 1512795
Thats the bit that saddens me a bit. Hes not an antiganistic, mean spirited flog like a Ballantyne or even Papley. Hes a immature kid that plays like hes having fun. ****wit opp fans wanting him to get hurt and media saying he deserves everything he gets are pieces of shit.

Last edited:

Thats the bit that saddens me a bit. Hes not an antiganistic, mean spirited flog like a Ballantyne or even Papley. Hes a immature kid thats plays like hes having fun. ******* opp fans wanting him to get hurt and media saying he deserves everything he gets are pieces of s**t.
Yep and he's not a Toby type either, (he's also umpired differently).

Thats the bit that saddens me a bit. Hes not an antiganistic, mean spirited flog like a Ballantyne or even Papley. Hes a immature kid thats plays like hes having fun. ******* opp fans wanting him to get hurt and media saying he deserves everything he gets are pieces of s**t.

he's like the little brother always tugging at your jumper. annoying but never does anything nasty or abusive.

Papley on the other hand. what a fkin turd of bloke. I think he has some issues upstairs.

That last point that was rushed, just watched it again, to my eye, the Swans player collected the ball and as he was falling to the ground, he just threw the ball away. Would have been a great pickup by the umpires, I reckon it was a throw.

The thing is though had Moore been on buddy we would of then had the issue of being troubled by Reid. He did just as much damage as buddy did before he got injured. I think Howe is past it personally, does a few good things here and there but his best is well behind him. I’m hoping dean or frampton come on well for us.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Yep agree on Howe. Next year we really need to give height opportunity down back. That’s means dean and Frampton and even Kruger - get first crack at CHB all preseason. Train them up. Then fill out the defence on balance from there.

Howe should only be played to fill injury or if say Maynard is permenant mid. Development of the below needs to take precedent over Howe:

Moore
Quaynor
Dean
Murphy
Frampton
Maynard
Noble
Naicos
Chugg
Ruscoe

We need howe to develop the kids in VFL - he could also be a valuable sub cause he can play fwd and back.

But we will no doubt be trying to figure out what our next premiership backline is, as most likely won’t include Howe.

Fwd line will look quite different too. With the addition of another quality mid for depth, McStay and Hill we will have some decent depth in reserves and keep building our defence, mids and fwds toward the next premiership.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1512795
Had several opposition supporters tell me today how the umps crucified him. Yet again.
The whole AFL world sees it, but the AFL don’t. Or won’t.
The hardest thing to swallow is the possibility of the biggest exploiter* of the rule might stand on the Dias with the Premiership cup in his hand this Saturday.

*cheater

Had several opposition supporters tell me today how the umps crucified him. Yet again.
The whole AFL world sees it, but the AFL don’t. Or won’t.
The hardest thing to swallow is the possibility of the biggest exploiter* of the rule might stand on the Dias with the Premiership cup in his hand this Saturday.

*cheater
Exactly - (sadly) - AFL probably see it but cannot admit it

“I shoved him in the back and Newton’s laws held” - Tom Papley probably.

Re Moore on Reid rather than Franklin, this wasn't really any different to what we did against the Cats. We played Moore on the bigger aerial threat and usually deepest forward in Hawkins, not on the best forward in Cameron.

Against Sydney, Reid was the biggest aerial threat and probably now the overall better forward.

With the entries Sydney had in that first half their tall forwards didn't exactly dominate. And I do agree that Reid, even with Moore on him, was better than Franklin. He may have hurt us even further if we'd gone small against him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back