Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Housh wants to be an Eagle

Palmer ain't a good QB?

Housh will try anything to work it out no doubt, but he will still be a new addition to the team, in a new offence, with new people around him who will demand more attention than CJ did (This year) for example. Its still a case of mixing up chemistry.

Had to chuckle about what I read on Wiki about them though...

Wiki article on Ownership said:
Under the ownership of Mike Brown, the Bengals remain one of five NFL teams without a General Manager--the other four being the Dallas Cowboys, the New England Patriots, the Oakland Raiders and the Washington Redskins. Another title Mike Brown carries is he is not only the worst owner in the NFL, but all of professional sports.

Buckhalter
Buckhalter realizes he'll never be the Eagles' No. 1 running back as long as Brian Westbrook is here, but he also knows he complements Westbrook and his abilities well. Buckhalter has missed three seasons due to various knee injuries over the course of his career, but this past season he was healthy enough to set career highs in receptions (26), yards (324) and receiving touchdowns (2).

Considine
After losing his starting spot to Quintin Mikell, Considine could have pouted. Instead, Considine provided depth at the safety position while becoming a demon on special teams. A fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Considine led the team with 32 special teams tackles and was named one of the team captains for the 2008 postseason.

FS Brian Dawkins
relatedicon.gif

The 35-year-old Dawkins earned his seventh trip to the Pro Bowl after another phenomenal season. He became the franchise's all-time leader in games played (183) and he finished the year tied for the all-time lead with 34 interceptions. The longest-tenured athlete in Philadelphia said after the Eagles' NFC Championship Game that he would like to return to the only organization for which he's ever played.

CB Joselio Hanson
relatedicon.gif

After three seasons as a reserve on the depth chart, Hanson passed Lito Sheppard on the depth chart as the Eagles' nickel cornerback. The highlight of season was undoubtedly when he returned a Marion Barber fumble 96 yards for his first career touchdown. He also recorded his first career interception on Thanksgiving night against Arizona. Hanson has appeared in 61 games over the course of his four-year career.

T Jon Runyan
relatedicon.gif

Runyan has an ironman-like 192 consecutive regular-season games played streak, but he was clearly battling through injuries to play in the postseason. Runyan ranks second only to Jets' quarterback Brett Favre for most postseason games played by active players (21). The 35-year-old Runyan has stated that he will definitely play somewhere next season and he would prefer for it to be with the Eagles.

T Tra Thomas
A first-round pick in 1998, Thomas has protected quarterback Donovan McNabb's blindside for more than a decade. He's only missed eight games due to injury over the course of his career and he's ranked second for most games played by an offensive lineman (166). He and fellow free-agent tackle Jon Runyan have started 134 games together, the most for a tackle tandem in Eagles history.

TE L.J. Smith
relatedicon.gif

Smith suffered through back spasms, shoulder injuries and also nursed a concussion during the 2008 season. Smith has seen his production drop from a career-high 61 catches for 682 yards in 2005 to just 27 catches for 321 yards this season. Considering that Brent Celek started the NFC Championship Game and had a career-high 10 catches for 83 yards and two touchdowns, the Eagles will have to evaluate whether Smith should return.

WR Hank Baskett
relatedicon.gif

Baskett set career highs with 33 catches and three touchdowns this season and his size and leaping ability make him a valuable commodity. Baskett ups his value by contributing on special teams and he was named the squad's special teams MVP in 2007. Baskett is also a big-play threat; he's just the sixth player in NFL history with three career catches of 85 yards or more.

G Nick Cole
relatedicon.gif

A rookie free agent signee in 2006, Cole has been buried on the depth chart for most of his three seasons with the team. But injuries to Shawn Andrews and Max Jean-Gilles opened the door for Cole, who played very well down the stretch to help the Eagles qualify for the postseason. Cole has seen action either on the offense or on special teams in all 53 regular and postseason games in his career.

LB Tank Daniels
relatedicon.gif

This season was Daniels' second stint with the Eagles and he contributed mostly on special teams. Last season Daniels was claimed off waivers by the Giants and he went on to play in eight games for New York, including its win in Super Bowl XLII. Daniels recorded a career-high 18 tackles on special teams in 2008.
Some very important names in there, particularly the two tackles, who did a great job this year, let alone, Dawks and Bucks (Who is a great RB, compliments WB well, as well as covering the often injured Westy often).

17 mil under the cap now.

Kind of ironic. Steelers let him go because he was a headcase. Giants now miss out on the Super Bowl because of him, allowing the Steelers to take on Arizona instead of the *allegedly* more difficult Giants (at the very least more experienced).

Do we have letting Plaxico go to thank for this Super Bowl win? At least he wasn't cocking up our season...
Or you could say he got us into a SB last year on one leg (no pun intended).

2nd rounder, you gotta be kidding me.

I think with James gone we will have something like $47 million bucks sitting around to play with.
Q and Kurt will get played if they wanna stay.

Ok, it's more likely a team will pony up a 1st. Bidding teams will always play hard ball when they know the player wants out though.

I guess even getting booed by fans with splinters in their butts from getting on and off the bandwagon so many times in a season would be preferable to going round with the Bungles again.

Should i drag up the quote from you after you attended a game at the Linc, talking about how awesome the atmosphere was?

Some very important names in there, particularly the two tackles, who did a great job this year, let alone, Dawks and Bucks (Who is a great RB, compliments WB well, as well as covering the often injured Westy often).

17 mil under the cap now.

Alot of fluff names in there too. Guys like Consi wont be missed, he was a liability when he came onto play safety all year.

I think we keep one of the tackles, and draft one for the other side, although there has been some talk that Herremans could make the move over to tackle.

Out of those... Dawkins is the big one. Eagles fans almost unanimously want him to retire in green.

And the fluff don't get paid... Just suggesting that they won't free up enough space if you want dawks/bucks/runyan/co to hang around... AS well as other smaller FA signings.

And the fluff don't get paid... Just suggesting that they won't free up enough space if you want dawks/bucks/runyan/co to hang around... AS well as other smaller FA signings.

It was my understanding that the cap was increasing this year? Have i been mislead :confused:

Ok, it's more likely a team will pony up a 1st. Bidding teams will always play hard ball when they know the player wants out though.

Remember that Boldin is contracted for the next two years with the Cardinals, Q and the teams wanting him have 0 leverage in this one.

The Whore that is Modern Sport

with the incomprehensible move of Dawkins for a paltry sum, & the responsibility resting with a team (my team) that still has a small mountain of cash avail in its cap, $40mil i believe, i sit here pondering how under any circumstances the Eagles are improved & what management expected the fallout to be (theres some reading to be had around the eagles sites)

the only AFL parallel i can conjure up is if Essendon had kicked Hird out the door when he still had a couple years to go & then a Carlton picks him up to see out his playing days.

geez loiuse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: the Whore that is modern sport

Well, as the pundits on WIP are saying, never forget the Eagles are cheap, spelled with a capital C. Joe Banner has said they can't get rid of all the money they have (it is around $40m), and they do have two first round picks this year. They did add Andrews' kid brother to the O-line, but there are serious questions about Runyan and Thomas...will one lineman be sufficient? and unless you're in the top ten picks, hardly likely an O-lineman can have immediate impact.

Buckhalter is probably gone at RB- and we do have a spot to fill at tE, though the team might think Celek is the answr based on the NFC title game.

Yech- not improving where I'm sitting- but not something to do with sport as a whole- just the Eagles in particular.

Here's a quote from Peter King's MMQB:

Want to know why seven-time Pro Bowl defender Brian Dawkins was so eager to leave Philly? It had something to do with being wanted, which, in today's football, is all about the Benjamins.
Money Dawkins earned in the last three seasons in Philadelphia: $7.2 million.
Money Dawkins will earn in Denver in 2009: $7.2 million.

Its not hard to see why Dawkins made the move. What's interesting is whether or not Dawkins asked Philly to match the Broncos offer.

Buckhalters also gone to Denver, must be something in the air up there...

so Eagles on the lookout for a quality rb come draft time me thinks, & yes a backup to Celek with Smith (good riddance) most likely out the door

duno abt those figures Sven, read it was $9m next 2 seasons or $15m over 5,

still all suxs at the mo tho

Meh, it's a business... Better players have left their teams when they weren't wanted by them. Unfortunately, shit happens.

Look on the bright side, he signed in a whole other conference, it would've hurt much more if he signed with a division rival.

Eagles' Johnson undergoing chemo

Eagles' Johnson undergoing chemo

Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson is taking a leave of absence.
Johnson is beginning a second round of chemotherapy to deal with cancer, which has him confined to a wheelchair.

Johnson won't coach at the upcoming OTAs -- organized team activities -- a three-day rookie camp beginning Wednesday.
"I told him to take care of himself first, and when he's ready to come back, come back," Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday.

"I'd like to tell you he's great, but he's not. He's struggling right now," said Reid, who said he talks to Johnson every day by phone. "I told him, when you feel like it, come back."

Secondary coach Sean McDermott will coach the Eagles defense in the interim.

Sal Paolantonio

Entire article here

Horrible news... Don't like hearing that about anyone. One of the most respected men on the football field today, and certainly one of the most worthy.

Good luck JJ, hope you pull through this to give Eli another arse whipping :(

Re: Eagles' Johnson undergoing chemo

Johnson is one of my favorite NFL people. Even if someone wasnt, you always wish them the best and hope tragic things dont occur, like the recent boat deaths or the cowboys facility and spinal injury.

Football-wise, the McDermott guy is doing all the DC work and has been spoken of highly for a few years now as someone from the Johnson stable that will go on to big things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back