Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if there's a very good KPP left at pick 12 and we pick a midfielder then Hughes is an absolute idiot.
How does this work exactly?

Why is a "very good KPP" guaranteed to be a better footballer than your best available player? :confused:

You'd be an idiot for overlooking someone you rate higher to draft a KPP for need.

We should draft for need if the players are hard to split.
icon3.gif

You shouldn't sneeze at talent, pace and skill because you want a KPP.

We need good footballers.

Full stop.

This is our last chance to get a good player for the next three drafts.
Panos, Talia, Black etc. is who we should be looking at.
Why's that? :confused:

I haven't seen them play.

Have you? :confused:

Are they any good? :confused:

Criticising someone when he knows the players like the back of his hand is a bit rich.

Hughes should crash your work/exam and tell you where you went wrong because he googled your occupation or course.

What's wrong with Jetta? :confused:

We won't have a get a KPP mindset at any cost for pick 12.

We will snap Jetta up in a heartbeat if he's the best available player.

There's nothing wrong with him, just that we have ENOUGH F***** MIDFIELDERS and small forwards. Those are the only two positions he will play, so my question to you is what's wrong with our midfield?

There's nothing wrong with him, just that we have ENOUGH F***** MIDFIELDERS and small forwards. Those are the only two positions he will play, so my question to you is what's wrong with our midfield?
Calm down.

Nothing is wrong with our midfield.

Though we just lost Stevens and one of the best kicks in our side.

Would you say our midfield has enough pace and great kicks in light of Nick going?

I wouldn't.

Houlihan and Scotland will be joining him in retirement shortly.

Three of our best kicks gone inside the next three compromised drafts.

Supporters will send Hughes out to draft anyone who is at least one centimetre over 190 cms tall.

GET TEMEL. ;) :eek:

Why is a "very good KPP" guaranteed to be a better footballer than your best available player? :confused:

You'd be an idiot for overlooking someone you rate higher to draft a KPP for need.

No, you'd be an idiot for not drafting the player who would be best for your club. That means a mixture of best talent/most needed policy.

Another good midfielder won't help our list more than a 50-60 goal key forward in its current stage.

Here's a scenario for you: for the next 5 drafts we take midfielders in the first round. 5 A grade midfielders with nothing to kick to is a shitload worse then 2/3 A grade midfielders and 2/3 A grade forwards. You've got to balance talent and plugging any holes in the list.

ATM the only young forward we have who MIGHT be able to kick 50+ goals at CHF or FF is Hendo. Whereas we have about 5-10 players who MIGHT turn out to be great mids or backs. Massive hole, and it needs to be rectified.

Jetta would be invaluable to our midfield. He isn't a small forward, he is a wingman. Has pace to burn and has fantastic foot skills. He is a Swannies boy so would not surprise me in the slighest if available (which i doubt) Hughes will call out him number. Would be thrilled with that result.

**** you. :D

Calm down.

Nothing is wrong with our midfield.

Though we just lost Stevens and one of the best kicks in our side.

Would you say our midfield has enough pace and great kicks in light of Nick going?

I wouldn't.

Houlihan and Scotland will be joining him in retirement shortly.

Three of our best kicks gone inside the next three compromised drafts.

Supporters will send Hughes out to draft anyone who is at least one centimetre over 190 cms tall.

I'm calm, just wanted to emphasize my point. The beauty with filling a hole in the midfield is they generally develop a lot quicker than the talls and we have just got McLean who will replace Stevens (not his role, but he will take up a midfield spot), I feel that this might be our last chance to take a good KPP with an early pick and I think that Butcher, Panos or Talia will be great additions to our lineup.

I reckon this draft go for a KPP with our first pick, then next draft go for a speedster with good skills with the first pick we have because I do agree that a speedster with a good kick would be a very handy addition. Don't forget we could add Yarran and/or Betts there as well though. :thumbsu:

Jetta would be invaluable to our midfield. He isn't a small forward, he is a wingman. Has pace to burn and has fantastic foot skills. He is a Swannies boy so would not surprise me in the slighest if available (which i doubt) Hughes will call out him number. Would be thrilled with that result.

Those foot skills will not be effective if he has to kick to Fisher and Cloke.

We should go for a player of his type next year IMO and focus on getting another KPP this year because we have a reasonably early pick, next year we won't even if we finish lower, and those sort of midfielders can slip further in drafts.

No, you'd be an idiot for not drafting the player who would be best for your club. That means a mixture of best talent/most needed policy.

Another good midfielder won't help our list more than a 50-60 goal key forward in its current stage.

Here's a scenario for you: for the next 5 drafts we take midfielders in the first round. 5 A grade midfielders with nothing to kick to is a shitload worse then 2/3 A grade midfielders and 2/3 A grade forwards. You've got to balance talent and plugging any holes in the list.

ATM the only young forward we have who MIGHT be able to kick 50+ goals at CHF or FF is Hendo. Whereas we have about 5-10 players who MIGHT turn out to be great mids or backs. Massive hole, and it needs to be rectified.
:pafloyul:

Wow, logic says we will get a 50 goal a year forward if we draft a KPP.

Here's a more realistic scenario for you.

Go tall with pick 12 and shoot ourselves in the foot by attempting to plug a hole with the next Kepler Bradley.

KPP are like so hot.

It worked for Hawthorn everytime...

The Cats and the Power should have passed on Boak and Selwood to plug a hole.

St Kilda didn't need Armitage.

Ball will go on forever.

We should go for a player of his type next year IMO and focus on getting another KPP this year because we have a reasonably early pick, next year we won't even if we finish lower, and those sort of midfielders can slip further in drafts.
Clubs might be doing straight swaps in the next three trade periods.

Draft picks will be marked down due to GC17. :mad:

If West Coast a need a Jetta or a Yarran, we could trade him home in exchange for a Mitch Brown.

Or trade ROK for a KPP from the Crows or the Power.

Don't be so negative.

Waite/Austin, Henderson, Kreuzer, Yarran, Betts, Walker...

There are targets, maybe not Fevola/Riewoldt targets but there are targets.

If Jetta is available why wait another year for his type and reach spots for a KPP this year? There is such thing as a trading period. Even if we get a high first rounder we can move down.

I'm not against a KPP but if it meant reaching spots for one i am. Personally only Talia and Butcher warrant being picked at 12 (haven't had a chance to get a look at Black yet though).

I may not be a Carlton supporter but in my opinion, I do think Carlton could use another key forward and I had them drafting Carlisle in my PD. It was between Talia and Carlisle but Talia is more of a defender and Carlisle is much better up forward and in a way, reminds me of a less strong, more athletic version of Fevola, being the lead-up forward. People say Carlton need Key Position defenders but last time I checked, they already have Jamison, Thornton, Waite, Austin and Bower playing KPD roles and as far as depth goes, Hartlett, O'hAilpin and Henderson.

Wow, logic says we will get a 50 goal a year forward if we draft a KPP.

When did i ever say that?

Here's a more realistic scenario for you.

Go tall with pick 12 and shoot ourselves in the foot by attempting to plug a hole with the next Kepler Bradley.

More realistic, so logic says if we draft a KPP they'll be shit automatically?

The Cats and the Power should have passed on Boak and Selwood to plug a hole.

St Kilda didn't need Armitage.

Ball will go on forever.

Cats had Mooney, Lonergan, Gamble etc for key forward posts. Much more than us. St Kilda had a pretty even spread and nowhere to "plug" especially.

I think anyone who seriously thinks we should just draft based on best available is flirting with danger. When doing a compelte rebuild it is a good policy - we are not doing that. We have good mid and back depth, and horrible forward depth. We need to rectify that.

Draft the best forward available as long as they aren't obviously not worth that pick. Tali, Panos, Black etc. are widely rated as worthy of our pick. If Hughes can take one of them and decides not to, then he better have a bloody good reason. A good key forward will do our team a lot more good than another good midfielder.

Agree with Jono here.

From a list management perspective we need to select a key forward. There is 4 - 5 to choose from. Butcher, Black, Talia, Panos, Carlisle. We have to back our recruiting staff to make the right choice.

We are choca block with mids and its going to be hard to squeeze all the talent in the 22. In 2 years we will benifit from a very handy midfielder with pace to burn in Jimmy Buckley's son.

Unless we want to end of in the position of the western bulldogs over the last few years (could have cost them a flag this year), we need to consider our list and our needs and select the best available in those positions.

To simply believe selecting the best available regardless of list management considerations is simple man logic.

With this logic we should have requested another midfielder in exchange for Fevola - rather than Henderson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your comments are spot-on the Carlton list now has a abundance of ruckman, midfielders and young defenders, the missing link is building a forward line which must be the focus, if there is very little difference between a KPP and a midfielder with pick 12 we need to take KPP and start building a forward half that will challenge in two years.

One other point with GC17 coming up 2011, they will need to trade some picks to be competitive, Carlton like other clubs will probably see this as a opportunity to obtain a high draft pick in possibility a stronger draft.

If the right KPP isnt available and Cunnington is still available id be rapped if we took him, sounds like he has alot of mungrel in him and would be a great pick up.

:thumbsu: My favourite player in this draft (well apart from Crichton of course :p). But he won't last until 12 sadly. Cunnington is the most professional and hard working player in the draft and should go top 5.

Clubs might be doing straight swaps in the next three trade periods.

Draft picks will be marked down due to GC17. :mad:

If West Coast a need a Jetta or a Yarran, we could trade him home in exchange for a Mitch Brown.

Or trade ROK for a KPP from the Crows or the Power.

Really? I seem to recall you were so strongly against trading Yarran to the Eagles, what's changed your view on it?

I would only trade him if he wanted to leave and West coast offered up their first pick + another player, maybe a Mitch Brown or a Ben McKinley (really rate him as a medium forward).

laughable post!!!

living in the past!!!

And thats why Voss will fail.

Terrible midfield.. and they wont create the inside 50s to feed their forward line.

If teams flood the space in defence.... and beat Brisbanes midfield running it out they have all their eggs in one basket!

Footy isnt played like that any more.
Its won by the team that controls the ball between the arcs.Creating more forward opportunities...and shileding its own defence .

Temel I don't mind. Already has size and had bags of 8,7 and 5 during the TAC Cup final series in the premiership side. Like blokes who perform on big occasions.

Only thing I'd think about is the Tom Hawkins syndrome in that he does well as he so much bigger than his opposition, something cancelled out at AFL level, but at the same time big, strong boy who performs when it counts. He certainly impressed many late in the season.

I may not be a Carlton supporter but in my opinion, I do think Carlton could use another key forward and I had them drafting Carlisle in my PD. It was between Talia and Carlisle but Talia is more of a defender and Carlisle is much better up forward and in a way, reminds me of a less strong, more athletic version of Fevola, being the lead-up forward. People say Carlton need Key Position defenders but last time I checked, they already have Jamison, Thornton, Waite, Austin and Bower playing KPD roles and as far as depth goes, Hartlett, O'hAilpin and Henderson.
I couldn't agree more!!!

Based on my research from yesterday, Panos and Carlisle were the two I wouldnt mind in Blue next year, though come draft day we will get someone no one expected nor wanted most likely.

Would love to see tapscott fall to us. A small forward with great overhead skills, huge intensity and a supreme kick sounds great. Would like to see him play a goal kicking flanking role ala Chris Knights. Having a forward line of Kreuzer, Waite, Henderson, Yarran, Betts, Garlett and Tapscott would be very very potent - like Adelaide's. He seems more ready made then most too.

Im not one who believes in needing a big goal kicking forward, multiple options is much more attractive - 3rd man up is making multiple options very important.

Hope he makes it to us.

Would love to see tapscott fall to us. A small forward with great overhead skills, huge intensity and a supreme kick sounds great. Would like to see him play a goal kicking flanking role ala Chris Knights. Having a forward line of Kreuzer, Waite, Henderson, Yarran, Betts, Garlett and Tapscott would be very very potent - like Adelaide's. He seems more ready made then most too.

Im not one who believes in needing a big goal kicking forward, multiple options is much more attractive - 3rd man up is making multiple options very important.

Hope he makes it to us.
Nice. :thumbsu:

How good is it to be back in the draft with Mclean and Henderson in the bank? :)

The Fevola trade was the move we should have made with Whitnall four years ago...

At least Whitnall finished as a Carlton player and made it to 200 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back