Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be a little surprised if he makes it to our pick actually. So that's another reason to get turfed out.

I still think Ziebell in time will be one of the better few of last year's draft - clubs (and fans) sometimes look past the 'good' and aspire to find the 'great'. Look for the 'freak' instead of looking for the player who does the common uncommonly well. Seems to me Shep is that sort of player. Does the common uncommonly well. I figure Bernie Vince (I don't remember him) would have played like Shep does when he was a junior. You just don't notice him unless you look closely. He seems to mark well for his height. Doesn't fumble. Attacks the game and the ball. Uses it well. Has leg speed and modern midfield size (186ish?). We'll see.

Actually just did a phantom draft and had Sheppard at pick 9 going to Port, wasn't sure if anyone else rated him

[YOUTUBE]KOfvlLD7bTk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Tapscott is very impressive. Great penetration in his kick, almost Buckley like. Isn't afraid to get in the hard stuff however.

Should turn into a very good player.

[YOUTUBE]0BgPKwzcoc0[/YOUTUBE]

Cunnington really does have a great attack at the contest.

Port might take my man Sheppard.

We arguably need more run, pace and skill in the back half than the forwardline.

JR, Armfield, Joseph, Walker, Grigg and Sheppard sweeping the ball out of the backline to Judd, Gibbs, Mclean and Murphy. *faps*

Straight replacement for Stevens or Scotland in time...

Up close: 2009 NAB AFL U18 All-Australian team

Bradley Sheppard (WA)
Rebounding defender who averaged 16 touches a game with an efficiency rating of 75.9 per cent.

Up close: 2009 NAB AFL U18 All-Australian team

Draft watch: the 16 most likely

Brad Sheppard (Western Australia/East Fremantle)
Named in the back-pocket of this year's All-Australian team, Sheppard has come right into first-round calculations recently. In fact, some believe he could be a top 12 pick. He has been likened to Craig Turley/Brad Sewell as a half-back/onball prospect.

Draft watch: the 16 most likely

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Bradley%20Sheppard&action=PSTATS&pID=188572899&client=1-2393-21525-0-4320172

[YOUTUBE]ZnfudDlqx88[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]udNA5LhFyzo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hH-lDsTsJLg[/YOUTUBE]

Repeat sprints (seconds)
1. Jack Fitzpatrick 23.91
2. Robbie Hicks 24.04
3. Jordan Williams 24.17
4. Travis Colyer 24.36
5. Gary Rohan 24.33
6. Jason Tutt 24.39
7. Dustin Martin 24.56
8. Lewis Jetta 24.61
9. Dylan Grimes 24.69
10. Bradley Sheppard 24.74

20-metre sprint (seconds)
1. Ayden Kennedy 2.88
2. Dustin Martin 2.89
3. Andrew Hooper 2.90
4. Sam Reid 2.92
=5. Sam Shaw 2.93
=5. Kane Lucas
=5. Gary Rohan
=8. Lewis Jetta 2.95
=8. Dylan Grimes
=10. Robbie Hicks 2.96
=10. Jack Fitzpatrick
=10. Bradley Sheppard

Just had a look at Talia's clips.....why is everyone rating him so high? I haven't seen him in one contested situation...or play on a forward. He's lining up at the centre bounces.

Very good skills for a big man....but seems a lot more suited to a 3rd tall/rebounding position than the key posts everyone has ear marked him for.

Repeat sprints (seconds)
1. Jack Fitzpatrick 23.91
2. Robbie Hicks 24.04
3. Jordan Williams 24.17
4. Travis Colyer 24.36
5. Gary Rohan 24.33
6. Jason Tutt 24.39
7. Dustin Martin 24.56
8. Lewis Jetta 24.61
9. Dylan Grimes 24.69
10. Bradley Sheppard 24.74

20-metre sprint (seconds)
1. Ayden Kennedy 2.88
2. Dustin Martin 2.89
3. Andrew Hooper 2.90
4. Sam Reid 2.92
=5. Sam Shaw 2.93
=5. Kane Lucas
=5. Gary Rohan
=8. Lewis Jetta 2.95
=8. Dylan Grimes
=10. Robbie Hicks 2.96
=10. Jack Fitzpatrick
=10. Bradley Sheppard

If sprints were all we should base our selection upon, what's the likelihood that one of Martin, Jetta, Fitzpatrick, Rohan, Hicks or Grimes is available at pick 12? They finished in both top 10 lists too!

Just had a look at Talia's clips.....why is everyone rating him so high?

Not sure, I guess because he's seen as a solid, reliable ten year player.

Of the big men I looked at on youtube, I thought

• Butcher looked a tall skinny kid who would test any defense due to his height.
  • Panos was an agile mark and liked a goal.
  • Griffiths was a big lanky kid with a booming kick.
  • Talia makes a good contest as a defender.
  • Carlisle is a good size and has great awareness.
According to all the phantom drafts, Talia is the best tall defender and seems ready to make an impact, Michael Hurley style. Whether we think we need an extra tall defender when we have Austin and Bower developing, I'm not sure.

Of the 'forwards', Butcher will be hard to match up on at FF but I have concerns about him being a one position player and with his frame doesn't have quite the mobility of the others. i.e. in the heat of AFL, smart defenders like Scarlett or Lake may run off him too easily. Can he ruck? Panos seems the most complete (i.e. mature) FF. Griffiths is hard to judge, he could be a freak in a couple of years when his body matures. Carlisle impressed me the most due to his awareness and poise.

So for mine, if we want a defender that can step up almost immediately, Talia. If we want a FF, Panos is the most natural as a marking and kicking machine. Carlisle I'd pick for CHF due to his presence and mobility. Think the belief is Talia is a more dour type.

Many have Butcher going early, with Talia perhaps lasting to our pick ahead of the others. He seems a safe option with a good work ethic. But if we need a forward Panos may be the new Fev but IMO we have been lacking a decent CHF since Lance lost his way and became a defender, hence Carlisle.

NB: I haven't seen any of these in the flesh and it's very dangerous to judge a player on 1 youtube highlights package! Everyone's an armchair expert, eh Splendini? :p

NB: I haven't seen any of these in the flesh and it's very dangerous to judge a player on 1 youtube highlights package! Everyone's an armchair expert, eh Splendini? :p

Horses for courses.....it's all on a continuum, the blokes with the real jobs watch them for 2-3 years.;)

• Talia makes a good contest as a defender.
  • Carlisle is a good size and has great awareness.
See, this is what i dont get. In the clips i've watched he's barely played as a KPP defender, often on the HB flank instead playing a Gilbert like rebounding tall position. Similar to Bower in some regards.

If you draft a defender at 194cm you'd want to make sure they are decent in one on one scenarios....and i haven't see Talia do that yet.

Panos and Cunnington are the two most impressive i've watched so far which *might* slip to 12.

What if Cunnington slips to pick 12 would we take him ahead of the KPP mentioned?

I would actually, but his name just slipped muy mind when I was compiling that list. Whatever the case, we will get a very good prospect at #12, no matter what position they play.

Out of left field might we use pick 12 on Bradshaw given we have the equivalent of our first pick already 2 years developed in Henderson. Be like Henderson and Bradshaw for Fev in a trade. We were willing to take Bradshaw and Rischetelli without having a first round pick. Wonder if that's in the mind of the club.

Not sure of the merits of using pick 12 on a 30yo but it's one we haven't thought of what's in the mind of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems to me that some posters are getting seduced by height/weight stats and thinking that translates easily into a KPP at AFL level. A cm or 2 is not that important. Its about judgement, attitude and core strength and a whole lot more factors. Players who can keep their eye on the ball and can make contact and still keep their balance. Defenders who can punch both hands and ones who don't go into their shell if they get beaten a few times.

Pace off the mark is vital though and if a tall prospect is lacking in that then its pretty hard (Pattison, Willits etc). Hurley looks like he has just enough acceleration to play down back but maybe more suited up forward as you would not like him playing on a leading player. Killing the high ball at CHB would suit him down to the ground but not playing on a fast lead like a Lecras or Fevola.

Talia Shmalia,

Does anyone know anything about this guy? Aaron Black?

Some very impressive performances, seems to have a great tank as well as can kick a bag. A taller version of Steele Sidebottom.

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/10/aaron-black-2009-afl-draft-prospect.html

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/6136459/peel-teen-black-comes-in-from-the-rain/

Might be worth grabbing this Kid.

29 disposals, took 14 grabs, and kicked an amazing 6.4

26 possessions, 7 marks, and 13 hit outs, in a rucking role.

WOW

My choice would be to go for skill and excitement. If a small then Jetta to compliment the center square with good speed and skillful, ready to go next year will be turning 21yrs or a Tall in Aaron Black .
Either would provide unpredictability and excitement to our list .
If these were not available then the more conservative Tapscott or Talia either a solid option.
Ciao

Best available!
We all know this is the way WH goes, and he will not pick for needs.

You've changed since what I last read.

I'm with bmaurizio. I think we need a player with a bit of an 'edge', seriously.

Not one with Fev's personality but a player with a bit of game-breaker type ability. I would prefer a tall player of that type but, regardless, to get any player like that at pick twelve or later there is necessarily going to be some degree of risk.

Majak at pick 43 might do it but that is all a bit of an unknown both in terms of availability and realisation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back