Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if he just chose to stand in front he'd end up with 2-3 more marks a game from dump kicks that drop short. Or at least stop his opponent taking an easy intercept marks

How many intercept marks were taken on him yesterday again?

What did anyone expect to actually happen when we dropped Dixon? Marshall will spend more time on bigger defenders and suck twice as badly.

Except Todd won his position easily

Such dumb rewriting of reality.

This fanbase has no grounding in reality. There’s either AA kf who dominates in all facets of the game or spud delist and there’s no room for a kf who is anything between that.

I guess we could turf Marshall and cheer mcintee onto 300 games. He’s undroppable as it is, if were turfing Todd, and let’s face it Mitch lord and Scully will all be next if they’re not dominant kfs every week, we can all look forward to Mcintee being here forever.

Does Mcintee have a younger shitter brother we can pick up? Causes there’s room for him too.

Anyone who thinks there’s another Warren tredrea waiting out there for port to come calling is delusional.

We’ve finally got a good group of kfs capable of doing their job in the most hostile environment for a kf gameplan, with the worst collection of small / medium forwards in the afl and a substantial part of our fanbase wants to push out one of those kfs so we can lean into the worst part of our list / gameplan.

If another commentator calls him a "sharpshooter" I'm going to go on a killing spree.

This Year: 47.6%
Last 2 Years: 51.4%
Career: 54.7%

Actually, more commonly referred to this year as "normally a sharpshooter"

I had big expectations for Marshall after breaking out in 2022 with 45 goals. It finally looked like he was gonna be the man to lead the forward line and look what happened. Nick Larkey who was taken 57 picks after Marshall has blossomed into a player who can kick goals and be that number 1 man.

I'm not gonna give up on Marshall just yet but something has to change because he has had 8 years in the system and yes he has had personal trauma and concussion issues but you at least want to have second and third efforts which he does not do enough.

Also, why does he always play from behind his man? This has been a trend for a while and why has this not been rectified yet? It is so frustrating to see him play from behind his man.

Last edited:
Philthy is right, Marshall isn’t an AA but does a lot well. He is a lead up forward, he is good defensively and has some good footy smarts. I’m actually a fan despite my trade him stance.

He will never be a brutal, pack crashing, contested animal. That’s not his go to.

Unfortunately he seems to lack some swagger, some confidence/arrogance, some on field resilience and toughness and the killer instinct. He does seem to drop his head and find it hard to impact thereafter. He doesn’t come across as a guy that wants to be the best and that is super driven. There have been plenty of times where he could have stepped up and put a team to the sword or fought extra hard, but that doesn’t seem in his nature.

I hope that with a coach change, Todd will go to the next level. I’m not sure he will, and, with the concussion stuff, I really think a change scenery is best for Todd and Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So a question for everyone on here. Where you play Marshall this week? SANFL? As the sub? Or Starting off the bat. I’d play him in the SANFL.
A good question, all I can say is don't try and fix something that's not broken, the forward line is functioning okay. It's the coach that needs to be moved.

Last edited:
So a question for everyone on here. Where you play Marshall this week? SANFL? As the sub? Or Starting off the bat. I’d play him in the SANFL.
Does the side improve having Marshall in it based on current form, probably not. So I'd play him in the SANFL.

45 goals in 22. Dixon kicked 45 twice, most recently in 21 and is 34 and beaten up next year.

Whether Todd’s back in this week or over the next few weeks is to be seen but the notion of trading him seems odd given our tall forward stocks.

Part of me actually wonders if he works better with Esava than he does with Charlie as Charlie is a pretty stationary tall (meaning he doesn’t create as much space). But the only way we test that is to rest Charlie for a week and that might not be something they want to do at this point of the season.

There’s a huge chance he doesn’t get back in this year, but with Dixon most likely done no matter what this year (and also a big chance he breaks down before the end of the season) he will find is way back in. And when he does you’d hope he has a lot more urgency knowing that he doesn’t have that gold pass anymore, with guys like Georgiades, Rata and potentially even Lord ahead of him.

Does the side improve having Marshall in it based on current form, probably not. So I'd play him in the SANFL.

Lol, we’ve got frank Evans running (and I use the term running pretty loosely) around for us.

Todd is a massive upgrade on him.

If we think he could use a run in the sanfl for match fitness so be it, but what is the point. It’s a trap for kfs. Both of dixon and lord have looked absolutely shite at sanfl level this year, and Mitch who is In scintillating form looked pretty “ok at best” most of the time at sanfl level compared to what he’s doing now. Thilthorpe doesn’t exactly dominate the sanfl either. The last afl listed kf to regularly stand out in the sanfl was probably tex Walker , lol.

Let’s be real.

At one point a large number here had written Mitch off when he was playing sanfl pre-knee and wanted to move him to half back or trade him.

If the option is to pump another x amount of games into a limited already at his ceiling player sure thing to be delisted like we’ve done so many times before we can champion frank evans. Why bother.

Lol, we’ve got frank Evans running (and I use the term running pretty loosely) around for us.

Todd is a massive upgrade on him.

If we think he could use a run in the sanfl for match fitness so be it, but what is the point. It’s a trap for kfs. Both of dixon and lord have looked absolutely shite at sanfl level this year, and Mitch who is In scintillating form looked pretty “ok at best” most of the time at sanfl level compared to what he’s doing now. Thilthorpe doesn’t exactly dominate the sanfl either. The last afl listed kf to regularly stand out in the sanfl was probably tex Walker , lol.

Let’s be real.

At one point a large number here had written Mitch off when he was playing sanfl pre-knee and wanted to move him to half back or trade him.

If the option is to pump another x amount of games into a limited already at his ceiling player sure thing to be delisted like we’ve done so many times before we can champion frank evans. Why bother.

Marshall's last 4 games excluding the Suns one where he was subbed early.

Vs Bulldogs - 15 disposals, 8 score involvements, 1 goal assist, 1 tackle.

Vs St Kilda - 2 behinds, 7 disposals, 5 score involvements and 1 contested mark before being subbed late in the 3rd quarter.

Vs Brisbane - 1 goal 1 behind, 9 disposals, 5 score involvements, 1 goal assist, 1 tackle, 2 contested marks.

Vs GWS - 1 goal 3 behinds from 8 disposals (only the 1 effective), 4 score involvements, 3 tackles.

A total of 39 disposals, 22 score involvements, 2 goal assists, 3 contested marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals and 6 behinds.

Compare this to Frankie Evans' last 4 games:

Vs Gold Coast - 1 goal 2 behinds, 18 disposals, 8 score involvements, 2 goal assists, 2 contested marks, 3 tackles.

Vs Richmond - 1 goal, 13 disposals, 3 score involvements, 1 goal assist, 4 tackles.

Vs Carlton - 1 behind, 13 disposals, 4 score involvements, 4 tackles.

Vs Sydney - 2 goals, 11 disposals, 5 score involvements, 1 goal assist, 1 contested mark, 1 tackle.

A total of 55 disposals, 20 score involvements, 4 goal assists, 3 contest marks, 12 tackles and 4 goals 3 behinds.

So Evans has more disposals, goals, goal assists and tackles than Marshall whilst nearing score involvements (20 vs 22) over their last 4 games each.

Your notion that Evans should be dropped for Marshall based on his form is absurd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back