Review Round 16, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

If this was St Kilda looking better, they must have resembled the junkie in Se7en previously.

8) The Saints look better with two rucks​

For the past two games, Ross Lyon has pulled a late change to bring tap ruck Tom Campbell into the starting side. And for the past two games, St Kilda has looked like a much better side. While Campbell by no means dominated on Sunday against Port Adelaide, he freed up Rowan Marshall to play more time forward. St Kilda’s inability to score has been a problem all season, but with Marshall resting forward, the Saints suddenly looked dangerous. Marshall’s athleticism and aerial ability – let alone his ability to convert – gave the Saints some edge in front of goal, especially with Max King not having an impact. Whether it's journeyman Campbell or project player Max Heath, playing a second ruck means Marshall can spend more time forward, which is a solution that can help salvage the Saints' season. It's now up to Lyon to decide whether he'll commit to playing two rucks, or find a forward solution elsewhere. – Sophie Welsh

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1157877...g-star-while-a-lions-star-is-worth-every-cent

If this was St Kilda looking better, they must have resembled the junkie in Se7en previously.

8) The Saints look better with two rucks​

For the past two games, Ross Lyon has pulled a late change to bring tap ruck Tom Campbell into the starting side. And for the past two games, St Kilda has looked like a much better side. While Campbell by no means dominated on Sunday against Port Adelaide, he freed up Rowan Marshall to play more time forward. St Kilda’s inability to score has been a problem all season, but with Marshall resting forward, the Saints suddenly looked dangerous. Marshall’s athleticism and aerial ability – let alone his ability to convert – gave the Saints some edge in front of goal, especially with Max King not having an impact. Whether it's journeyman Campbell or project player Max Heath, playing a second ruck means Marshall can spend more time forward, which is a solution that can help salvage the Saints' season. It's now up to Lyon to decide whether he'll commit to playing two rucks, or find a forward solution elsewhere. – Sophie Welsh

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1157877...g-star-while-a-lions-star-is-worth-every-cent

Tom Campbell literally looked like they resurrected him from the grave, frankenstein-style. He was stiff as a board. Didn't they sub him?

I was at AAMI Stadium in 2011 when a Collingwood defender rushed a behind to double our score: it became 86-2. But I was happy to be there to support the boys in such a tough time.

This is infinitely worse than 2011.

Come on mate. They were absolutely non-competitive at that point, a joke to watch and were struggling just to survive.

I'm not saying that the current situation is good - it's far from that. But sensationalistic comments like this are farfetched.

I like how the coaches prioritised having Zak Butters on the bench for the end of the game so they could manufacture the Kenny cuddle shot at the final siren.

I'd be more concerned why the rotations worked out such that one of the Club's top 2 players for the day was on the bench in a one score game in the final minute.

I'd be more concerned why the rotations worked out such that one of the Club's top 2 players for the day was on the bench in a one score game in the final minute.
I'm betting they came off during Mitch's set shot.

Come on mate. They were absolutely non-competitive at that point, a joke to watch and were struggling just to survive.

I'm not saying that the current situation is good - it's far from that. But sensationalistic comments like this are farfetched.
Mate I was a bit ambiguous with my meaning - I wasn't referring to the on field stuff: it doesn't get any worse than a combined 50 goal defeat across 2 games (138 + 165). But at least in 2011, I cared a helluva lot more about the club than I do right now under this administration - we're "treading water" until we get some competent Port people into the key positions at Alberton: people who aren't satisfied with mediocrity.

I'm betting they came off during Mitch's set shot.

Why is he coming off in the final minute? Shouldn't be taking arguably your best player off the field in that circumstance regardless of how knackered they might be.

Mate I was a bit ambiguous with my meaning - I wasn't referring to the on field stuff: it doesn't get any worse than a combined 50 goal defeat across 2 games (138 + 165). But at least in 2011, I cared a helluva lot more about the club than I do right now under this administration - we're "treading water" until we get some competent Port people into the key positions at Alberton: people who aren't satisfied with mediocrity.

Yeah I agree with you and understand where you're coming from.

I guess I'm more optimistic because 1) the list is good. 2) the Club has their shit together off the field with respect to long term sponsors, development upgrades at Alberton etc.

The biggest two issues at the Club are Ken and CD. You get rid of those two men, and you straight away give yourself a pretty good chance going forward to be a true contender heading into 2025.

Would Georgiades have kicked a goal if that last shot on goal was needed to win the game and save Hinkley's neck?

It was an atrocious set shot kick.

But at least he took his full 30 seconds and killed the clock.
Didn’t see it, sounded like he was doing alot of gut running up the ground then back.
Maybe he blew a gasket before the kick?
I think the 30 second clock effects goal kicking

I think what he is trying to say, is it was easier to support the script back then. 2011-2012 we had little cash and playing younger kids, flushing out the old. Therefore knowing we were going to suck but with a hope for the future.

Currently who can see hope for the future when a 12 year old narrative not changing!

I was at AAMI Stadium in 2011 when a Collingwood defender rushed a behind to double our score: it became 86-2. But I was happy to be there to support the boys in such a tough time.

This is infinitely worse than 2011.

Hope is the x-factor that fuels footy clubs.

Hope that you can win a flag when you’re contending.

Hope that you can watch a rebuild come to fruition ASAP when you’re not.

Hope that you’ll crush your rivals and the clubs you dislike along the way.

Hope that the sky’s the limit for all concerned, as individuals, as a team, and as an organisation.

But the current regime has managed to take the purest form of reality TV there is, where anything can happen before a captive fanatic audience, and somehow converted it into the most predictable, formulaic, mundane, scripted boondoggle to rival any VHS boxset on a dusty shelf at Vinnie’s.

Starring a cast of loathsome characters with no redeeming features and zero relatability, who actively insult, gaslight and disregard their audience, aided and abetted by similar types in the media and beyond.

Only people who are neurologically incapable of recall, pattern recognition, parsing historical data, spotting trends — or have an agenda — still ‘believe’ Ken Hinkley is capable of leading Port to a flag.

Everyone else knows we’re just wasting time, resources and precious finite playing careers in no-man’s land.

Good enough but not good enough.

Essentially rendering the whole exercise pointless and boring, with each season meandering to an inevitable ending we’ve already seen countless times before, and cued up to be played once again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t see it, sounded like he was doing alot of gut running up the ground then back.
Maybe he blew a gasket before the kick?
I think the 30 second clock effects goal kicking
Excuses.

Hope is the x-factor that fuels footy clubs.

Hope that you can win a flag when you’re contending.

Hope that you can watch a rebuild come to fruition ASAP when you’re not.

Hope that you’ll crush your rivals and the clubs you dislike along the way.

Hope that the sky’s the limit for all concerned, as individuals, as a team, and as an organisation.

But the current regime has managed to take the purest form of reality TV there is, where anything can happen before a captive fanatic audience, and somehow converted it into the most predictable, formulaic, mundane, scripted boondoggle to rival any VHS boxset on a dusty shelf at Vinnie’s.

Starring a cast of loathsome characters with no redeeming features and zero relatability, who actively insult, gaslight and disregard their audience, aided and abetted by similar types in the media and beyond.

Only people who are neurologically incapable of recall, pattern recognition, parsing historical data, spotting trends — or have an agenda — still ‘believe’ Ken Hinkley is capable of leading Port to a flag.

Everyone else knows we’re just wasting time, resources and precious finite playing careers in no-man’s land.

Good enough but not good enough.

Essentially rendering the whole exercise pointless and boring, with each season meandering to an inevitable ending we’ve already seen countless times before, and cued up to be played once again.
Hallelujah brother.

I think what he is trying to say, is it was easier to support the script back then. 2011-2012 we had little cash and playing younger kids, flushing out the old. Therefore knowing we were going to suck but with a hope for the future.

Currently who can see hope for the future when a 12 year old narrative not changing!

And I get that, but this is precisely the time now when there just has to be a bit of blind faith led by us fans that the people in charge are going to get this right. They are so close to getting rid of Ken, and once Ken goes, CD will have lost his shield and will subsequently be next in the crosshairs.

I see hope in that if we make 2 changes in personnel, the entire on-field performance of the Club can improve significantly. Back in 2011 it was a total mess, as if you'd look at the situation and ask, "where do I start?"

Possibly, and I could be trying to read more into it than he actually meant but I thought there may have been something to `the we will support ken while he is the coach' comment.

Out of the three of them he looks a little 'meh'. The younger players are the ones who'd be keen for some change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back