Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

He's also missing out on the midfield finally clicking over the past few weeks while he's been out.
I'm not sure this is the case at all. The midfield as a whole has been good all season, with the exception of a few games.

Our midfield absolutely trounced Essendon in R4, and he only bagged 1 goal. Plenty of other examples.

Aside from the Kangaroos game, he's struggled badly, regardless of the midfield.

Evans numbers are inflated by the Sydney game you know that. His total goal tally halves once you swap that game out for the next game

1. No it is not hard to judge Evans on “limited game time”

He’s played at 2 clubs, one which delisted him and his 28 games deep and we’ve seen him in the sanfl, a league perfectly suited to players like him where they often excel.

2. How on earth is Todd ceiling hypothetical based on 2022?

That’s like arguing the earth beneath your feet is hypothetical.

Something cannot be known and down before and be “hypothetical”.

Frank Evans could play 22 games in the best team in the league and he’s not getting near that form.

They can be manipulated and misunderstood

You have literally chosen to manipulate the statistics in a futile attempt to strengthen your position.

You're clearly an intelligent person who knows a lot about our Club, but your bias towards Marshall is so strong that literally every one of us on this forum sees through it as BS, and are now at the point where we will scroll and laugh.

The best thing for Todd is not to be picked for the afl..

it will send him a reminder that the garbage he has dished up this year is no longer acceptable and his gold card and his spot in the team is no longer guaranteed.

Get some form ( and i mean competitiveness and appetite for the contest) over the next 3 weeks and you'll be considered based on form and availability

it will send him a reminder that the garbage he has dished up this year is no longer acceptable and his gold card and his spot in the team is no longer guaranteed.y
I'm not so sure - Hinkley did say at the end of his presser that he thinks our best 22 contains Marshall.

I don't necessarily disagree with that in general, but I hope he heavily factors poor form as part of that decision for this week/coming weeks.

I'm not so sure - Hinkley did say at the end of his presser that he thinks our best 22 contains Marshall.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I hope he heavily factors poor form as part of that decision for this week.
maybe kens too piss weak to make the hard call, actually change that he is too piss weak to make that call.

I’ve always rated him over the cheese. Marshall discussion aside. He gets more involved around scoring and helping us score as opposed to being just a negative player.

He’s having a good run and doesn’t deserve to be dropped for Marshall.

Marshall needs a new game plan over the summer, maybe he should roam more, play like Westy.
Roaming Marshall sounds good to me

I think the next 4-6 weeks could be a watershed moment in Marshall’s career. I’d give him a short stint in the SANFL when fit to realise that his place in the side is no longer a given and that he needs to do certain things much better to win it back: play in front, contest unconditionally even when out of position, lead much more and get back to converting his set shots which until 18 months ago had been a weapon for him. If he can find some late season form and intensity, he could still play a role in finals and get his career back on track. If he comes back into the AFL side automatically, fails to compete and our form starts to slide, then it will set everything back for him and the team.

I think the next 4-6 weeks could be a watershed moment in Marshall’s career. I’d give him a short stint in the SANFL when fit to realise that his place in the side is no longer a given and that he needs to do certain things much better to win it back: play in front, contest unconditionally even when out of position, lead much more and get back to converting his set shots which until 18 months ago had been a weapon for him. If he can find some late season form and intensity, he could still play a role in finals and get his career back on track. If he comes back into the AFL side automatically, fails to compete and our form starts to slide, then it will set everything back for him and the team.

Hinkley will have trouble not doing the last three lines….

Hmm whilst I have suggested we look at trading Toddy and Ollie in the past, you can’t question Todd’s ability and potential.

Todd is a very clever footballer who makes an impact defensively, can find space and can deliver inside fifty beautifully. We can be a dead eye kick for goal. He is probably more resilient in his personal life than we give him credit for but this doesn’t seem to translate on field, where it appears he can drop his head.

He doesn’t have the figjam of Mitch. He doesn’t have the size and physical presence of Dixon.

We all wanted to seem him command the forward line without Dixon but this probably isn’t his jam. He is more suited to the second or third tall role, almost plays as a half forward. Problem is, our game plan demands retention inside the forward fifty - it’s no wonder the team functions better with Dixon and Sav in it. They take the best defenders, retain the ball and let Mitch take the third defender. Swap Mitch for Todd and I think Todd would be having a great second half of the year.

Todd, when fit, definitely is in our best 22. Evans is playing a different role, playing well at the moment, let him play. How we fit Todd in is a good question.

He definitely needs a run in the twos to make sure his fitness and confidence is ok and then we can work on how to play him in the ones.

Can we play the four talls? Can Todd work higher up the ground? Could he be a third tall defender?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another game, another potential concussion.

Trade him whilst he still has any sort of value because there's no way he's going to last the entirety of his contract health wise.

Todd is out a Bowen Lockwood, dodgy brain rather than back will force him to retire

Free kick Melbourne.

Story of the earlier game in the year.
Story of tonight.

That and Neale-Bullen. BOG by the length of Flemington strait. Not one of our mids has had an answer for his toughness, skill and gut running.

Melbourne’s pack of stocky mids have destroyed our pretty boys in the contest. Destroyed us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back