Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a player who has come off the ground with concussion while wearing a helmet?

Andrew Brayshaw was wearing a helmet when Brayden Maynard ended his career by intentionally jumping into his head, but that wasn't incidental contact by any means.

I’m not the only one who doesn’t think Marshall competes. Tim Ginevar is quite vocal about it when he calls our games so unless you and Philthy think you’re better judges of footy talent than Tim I’m pretty comfortable with my thoughts on his performance
On the 5AA telecast, Timmy G who is usually diplomatic was a bit more critical during the game.

I was quite shocked that he sounded fed up with Marshall and he basically said that he should hang up the boots or words to that effect and he sounded a bit over it, almost like he either had some insider information or that he knows the basic medical information and believes that continuing to play Marshall is to the detriment of the team because of soft play and concussion protocols at simple collisions which lead to one less player in the game.

The forward line has looked better with Esava, Georgiades and Dixon.

Its not even just Esava's actual stats himself. When he's at the contest himself he's more of a physical presence than Todd.

When Todd's been an extra at the contest, he's not even looking to compete in it. In earlier years, that's meant Dixon is battling his opponent to bring the ball to ground. This year, its simply meant that Dixon's been out marked by the extra defender.

1. The stuff about the forward line looking better is narrow minded crap.

Our midfield went supernova for a couple of weeks and because of that our forwards benefited.

Our forward line after Todd went down on the weekend was the most dysfunctional we’ve seen it in a long long time.

2. The last bit of that paragraph is just hogwash. No basis provided other than just your opinion. Dixon has sucked (because he’s finally cooked) but you want to blame his opponents out marking him on Todd, because reasons.

I love how it’s been a universally accepted fact that teams try to play 3rd man up, accepted fact that we play predictable and kick high and long to the same dude, but because Dixon gets out marked sometimes it’s Todd’s fault

Taking the piss.

Also, if people want to get their hopes up about esava reaching new potential as a kf, after already buying that same story as a defender and being crushed, they deserve the heartbreak.

He’s a athlete, not a footballer. That doesn’t mean he can’t be useful playing as a big athlete up forward.

Our forward line after Todd went down on the weekend was the most dysfunctional we’ve seen it in a long long time.
Ratugolea and Dixon as the marking targets didn't work at all against Melbourne. Our ball movement completely disappeared and we struggled to find targets in transition.
  1. Our midfield got beaten.
  2. Georgiades, our best forward, was out.
  3. Due to Marshall's concussion we were one KPF down.
  4. Rioli was soundly beaten with a 6 dis, 0 goal game.
  5. Its not like our forward line with Marshall was any great shakes with a 16 point first quarter.
  6. Rat and Dixon have played 3 games together. I think just maybe Rat needs more than 3 ****ing games in our forward line before we start canning his ability to play forward. He still took 6 marks, 2 i50 and brought the ball to ground on other occasions where no other forward probably would have.

Last edited:
Having a marking contest at all means your forward entry has broken down. Having your 2 big key forwards in competing in the same marking contest is a disaster.
This excuse gets trotted out so often. Usually to defend Marshall.

I totally agree that we have been playing to a failed gameplan of too often kicking to an outnumbered Dixon over the years. However if kicking to a forward line contest means your forward entry has broken down then Port has won countless premierships with a broken down forward entry system.

In no world are the majority of forward entries to a player in space or on a lead. Just doesn't happen. Either all forwards are being manned up, or zoned off or alternatively it is impossible to get the ball from the kicker to the free player even if you are the best kick in the competition. In that case you deliver the ball to a contest, ideally to the advantage of your player. That doesn't mean your forward entry has broken down. Perhaps we should just kick the ball short until a player opens up or, more likely, the ball gets turned over. Its a contested game and if every contest is a failure of somebody else the game is in a torrid state.

Is it a breakdown of your defensive structure if an intercept mark is not taken by one of your defenders? Is it a breakdown in basketball offense if you can't get a pass to an open player for a layup, dunk or open shot? Gimme a break (pun intended)

It is worth noting that in the 4 years Rat played as a forward to Todd's first 5 years as a forward when they were almost exactly the same age.

1723483899751.png
At season end 2021:
  • One is a failed forward while also attending nearly 20 ruck contests a game. Started playing football late in life, and does not have a lot of development left in him.
  • The other is a forward with great potential who started playing football early in life and (as I was beaten about the head with) needs to be played continuously as young forwards take time to develop.
Can you spot the huge gulf in their statistics?

On the 5AA telecast, Timmy G who is usually diplomatic was a bit more critical during the game.

I was quite shocked that he sounded fed up with Marshall and he basically said that he should hang up the boots or words to that effect and he sounded a bit over it, almost like he either had some insider information or that he knows the basic medical information and believes that continuing to play Marshall is to the detriment of the team because of soft play and concussion protocols at simple collisions which lead to one less player in the game.
I think Timmy initially thought he was going off with a different injury.

I think Timmy initially thought he was going off with a different injury.
The way I heard it was that Timmy was a bit fed up with Marshall's form and knew it was because of concussions and we would be a man down. He was quite final about it, if you know what I mean, like its obvious, the dude is scared of hitting a contest and he's a KPF which is his main job. He was kinda over it.

That's why I think it's serious along with the very slight collision bringing into protocols. I was watching the replay and it was a very minor hit to the head and body and the vision was actually quite disturbing watching Todd really struggle for a minute or so on the field while we were kicking the ball back into play.

The way I heard it was that Timmy was a bit fed up with Marshall's form and knew it was because of concussions and we would be a man down. He was quite final about it, if you know what I mean, like its obvious, the dude is scared of hitting a contest and he's a KPF which is his main job. He was kinda over it.

That's why I think it's serious along with the very slight collision bringing into protocols. I was watching the replay and it was a very minor hit to the head and body and the vision was actually quite disturbing watching Todd really struggle for a minute or so on the field while we were kicking the ball back into play.
Timmy knows when a bloke is not having a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is worth noting that in the 4 years Rat played as a forward to Todd's first 5 years as a forward when they were almost exactly the same age.

At season end 2021:
  • One is a failed forward while also attending nearly 20 ruck contests a game. Started playing football late in life, and does not have a lot of development left in him.
  • The other is a forward with great potential who started playing football early in life and (as I was beaten about the head with) needs to be played continuously as young forwards take time to develop.
Can you spot the huge gulf in their statistics?
Yeah, if you take out the two statistically best seasons of Marshall’s career so far, for reasons(?), they’re kinda similar.

Also, if people want to get their hopes up about esava reaching new potential as a kf, after already buying that same story as a defender and being crushed, they deserve the heartbreak.

He’s a athlete, not a footballer. That doesn’t mean he can’t be useful playing as a big athlete up forward.
If Esava can get into space as a key forward as often as he let his opponent do that to him when he played as a key defender he could definitely be `useful playing as a big athlete up forward.' :think:

On a more serious note, he has had one good`ish' game and two just average games as a KPF so his two recent efforts are more likely to be the norm than that first performance, and as you suggest he is an athlete who doesn't have a footballer's brain which is the one thing no coach in the world can do much about, as a player is either born with that asset or he isn't!

Hot Toddy pads his stats with cheap marks on the lead 48 metres out hard up against the boundary. That looks like a mark inside 50 on paper but it's a low percentage scoring chance. Give me Esava's strong contested marks in good scoring positions any day.

Hot Toddy pads his stats with cheap marks on the lead 48 metres out hard up against the boundary. That looks like a mark inside 50 on paper but it's a low percentage scoring chance.
Without looking at the numbers, I suspect he's not alone in that regard. Our consistently wide forward entries force everyone out towards the boundary.

Using ‘Hot Toddy’ ironically to mock a guy who is clearly down on form and confidence because of persistent hip problems and career-threatening concussion issues is a bit sad, isn’t it?

Honestly, if you’re not in the corner of a Port Adelaide player whose parents died six months apart before he turned 21, what are you doing here?

Hot Toddy pads his stats with cheap marks on the lead 48 metres out hard up against the boundary. That looks like a mark inside 50 on paper but it's a low percentage scoring chance. Give me Esava's strong contested marks in good scoring positions any day.
Problem is Todd from 48 out on the boundary is about as likely to kick a goal rather than a behind as Esava from 30 out straight in front.

Using ‘Hot Toddy’ ironically to mock a guy who is clearly down on form and confidence because of persistent hip problems and career-threatening concussion issues is a bit sad, isn’t it?

Honestly, if you’re not in the corner of a Port Adelaide player whose parents died six months apart before he turned 21, what are you doing here?
I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't have maximum sympathy for the bloke. I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't like the bloke. I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't wish anything but the very best for him. All of those things don't make your performance on a football team immune from criticism. That applies whether you don't like the way he plays or if you think he's the greatest talent to ever grace the field. Time on the field may be up for Todd. I'm not sure we can afford to play a bloke who has a pretty high chance of leaving us a man short if he plays. As a club, we need to make sure we take care of the bloke off the field in every respect. Anything we can do to protect him and if required, transition into whatever his life looks like after footy, we should.

Ridiculous call. Everyone is sympathetic towards the challenges in his personal life. But this isn't a sheltered workshop. You put your hand up to get paid close to a million a year as a professional footballer and you'll get judged on your performance as a professional footballer.

Likewise with the concussion issues. I personally believe he should step away from the game and that it's no longer worth the risk given his concussion history. But if he continues to step out there and accept a pay cheque I will continue to judge him on his football performance.

Again as I keep pointing out you’re basing this entirely off your emotions rather than reality.

Todd’s marks don’t count because reasons but esava, whose played 3 games and kicked 3 goals takes marks in “good scoring positions”

Ridiculous call. Everyone is sympathetic towards the challenges in his personal life. But this isn't a sheltered workshop. You put your hand up to get paid close to a million a year as a professional footballer and you'll get judged on your performance as a professional footballer.

Likewise with the concussion issues. I personally believe he should step away from the game and that it's no longer worth the risk given his concussion history. But if he continues to step out there and accept a pay cheque I will continue to judge him on his football performance.
So you’re not mocking Marshall when you refer to him as ‘Hot Toddy’ while criticising his effort and/or output?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back