Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Love how certain posters have now turned this into a moral debate and then call others emotional.

If you critique Todd's footballing output to date you're actually just a bad person.

I’ve made it very clear of being in the camp that questions the overall value of Marshall’s football ability. There are many others who think opposite to this, & that’s okay.

However, I think the debate surrounding Marshall has shifted from Todd the footballer, to one of selection integrity. I’d argue we’ve reached a point where he simply can’t be selected anymore due to the increased risk of not being able to complete a full game.

I feel for the lad, but you have to make decisions that are in the best interests of the team, not the individual.

1. The stuff about the forward line looking better is narrow minded crap.

Our midfield went supernova for a couple of weeks and because of that our forwards benefited.
Yet when Marshall is the beneficiary of it in games when Dixon doesn't play, its all about how Marshall leading our forward line is the greatest thing since Scottie Hodges.

Yep. He's no fan of Hot Toddy.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Timmy isn’t a fan. Got told the other day that Todd isn’t the hardest worker at the club and likes a party. Last person I would’ve picked but probably matches up with his development not coming along like we hoped it would.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Timmy isn’t a fan. Got told the other day that Todd isn’t the hardest worker at the club and likes a party. Last person I would’ve picked but probably matches up with his development not coming along like we hoped it would.
Not sure who you heard that from but it's BS

Hot Toddy pads his stats with cheap marks on the lead 48 metres out hard up against the boundary. That looks like a mark inside 50 on paper but it's a low percentage scoring chance. Give me Esava's strong contested marks in good scoring positions any day.

He hasn't had a shot from inside 40 in the last 3 weeks. Go and look at where Esava has taken his shots and tell me they're high percentage scoring positions

Is it a breakdown of your defensive structure if an intercept mark is not taken by one of your defenders? Is it a breakdown in basketball offense if you can't get a pass to an open player for a layup, dunk or open shot? Gimme a break (pun intended)

Yes and yes. Both of those are examples of a system breaking down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why all the argument about Esava and Todd. Prime Todd is clearly better, but Todd isn’t prime Todd anymore, he looks devoid of confidence in relation to contact and glancing blows sends him off for 10 days.

He’s in bed with Ken, so he has a level of assurity he’s protected.

Esava has given me confidence whilst acknowledging he isn’t special because he’s durable and not afraid of contact, provides a contest, clunks some big marks. When Mitch is playing a good third banana.

If Todd had Esava’s durability and desire for the contest it’s a no brainer.

As it stands, Todd is a shell of himself and most likely needs to retire if this level of impact is sending him off the field. A real shame for the fella but he’s no lone soldier.

Using ‘Hot Toddy’ ironically to mock a guy who is clearly down on form and confidence because of persistent hip problems and career-threatening concussion issues is a bit sad, isn’t it?

Honestly, if you’re not in the corner of a Port Adelaide player whose parents died six months apart before he turned 21, what are you doing here?

I agree. We should call him Hot Turd instead.

Not sure why all the argument about Esava and Todd. Prime Todd is clearly better, but Todd isn’t prime Todd anymore, he looks devoid of confidence in relation to contact and glancing blows sends him off for 10 days.

He’s in bed with Ken, so he has a level of assurity he’s protected.

Esava has given me confidence whilst acknowledging he isn’t special because he’s durable and not afraid of contact, provides a contest, clunks some big marks. When Mitch is playing a good third banana.

If Todd had Esava’s durability and desire for the contest it’s a no brainer.

As it stands, Todd is a shell of himself and most likely needs to retire if this level of impact is sending him off the field. A real shame for the fella but he’s no lone soldier.
Esava is gifted in the air there's no doubt about it, everything else about him is a trainwreck though, the jury is still out for me.

Esava is gifted in the air there's no doubt about it, everything else about him is a trainwreck though, the jury is still out for me.
No nightmare moments up forward that I’ve seen.

Okay is goal kicking isn’t the best but people here have short memories of all our other forwards!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back