Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

If the club wanted, it could send him overseas to get scans and internationally renowned doctors can't it?

Of course. But you only have to look at the management of some players at the Club in the last few years to realise they may not exactly be on the cutting edge of best practice.

I know of one practitioner in Australia who is a world renowned clinician with a special interest in concussion, who has a history of working with elite sportspeople (and was recently in France working with the Aussie Olympic Team) who has been made aware of Marshall's unique history, and has offered to help. This practitioner's details were passed on to the Club quite a few weeks ago. Don't think the Club even have given this practitioner a phone call.

I'm sure our Dr has sent the telegraph request already.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

tapping mr. garrison GIF by South Park

Is there an element of putting your hand up to play at your own risk here. No one would’ve forced Todd to play on Friday night, I’m certain he would’ve put his hand up and said he was fine after over a month on the sidelines.

I think having a go at the club is bs.

Houston got 5 weeks for a very good bump and because rankine had absolutely no awareness or care going back with the flight got concussed and Houston needs to pay a price because the afl is shit scared of getting sued. That bump should’ve never been more than 2 or 3 weeks, it wasn’t that bad, it’s a contact sport that players have signed up for.

I’ve got lifelong lower back issues that I sustained and worsened over years of playing meaningless park footy, and I don’t blame anyone but myself for that. I wanted to play but have to pay the price now.

I honestly don’t understand why so many players are wanting to sue when they should’ve taken some responsibility for the own body and choices made.

It’s up to Todd to decide what he wants to do after seeking medical advice.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is there an element of putting your hand up to play at your own risk here. No one would’ve forced Todd to play on Friday night, I’m certain he would’ve put his hand up and said he was fine after over a month on the sidelines.

Houston got 5 weeks for a very good bump and because rankine had absolutely no awareness or care going back with the flight got concussed and Houston needs to pay a price because the afl is shit scared of getting sued. That bump should’ve never been more than 2 or 3 weeks, it wasn’t that bad, it’s a contact sport that players have signed up for.

I’ve got lifelong lower back issues that I sustained and worsened over years of playing meaningless park footy, and I don’t blame anyone but myself for that. I wanted to play but have to pay the price now.

I honestly don’t understand why so many players are wanting to sue when they should’ve taken some responsibility for the own body and choices made.

Like Rozee put his hand up to play? Any club with player welfare as top priority would remove the decision from the player's hands.

I disagree with the majority of what you've said there.

The club was warned to not play Todd again this year and to send him overseas.
Another thing our club needs to fix over the pre season

Like many (or possibly most) Port supporters I too believe Todd should retire as his long term health is obviously far more important than playing footy.

Re his long term health, I don't know how old they actually were but I believe both his parents passed away when he was only about 19, which could suggest longevity may not be prevalent on either side of his family and if that is the case it may be be another reason for removing the risk of any further concussions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m no lawyer but I don’t understand why players don’t sign waivers acknowledging they may get injured and indemnifying the AFL for sporting injuries, not Gaff thuggery, however that was assault and should be in the courts.

I’m no lawyer but I don’t understand why players don’t sign waivers acknowledging they may get injured and indemnifying the AFL for sporting injuries, not Gaff thuggery, however that was assault and should be in the courts.

Waivers are practically worthless. They do nothing to shift the duty of care.

It's pretty simple.

Players and coaches are not doctors and don't have the qualifications to make decisions based on the health of their players.

My understanding is that anything after can turn into a legal issue and criminal negligence.

With TBI, the idea that a player who may have some level of brain impairment already is given the authority to play over medical staff is insane.

The reasons why ex-players are suing the AFL are because they are greedy, angry, in pain, don't take responsibility for their actions even if they are well compensated and adored and doing so of their own free volition and also the AFL has a mountain of money.

Taking out the football, the medicine, the morality and the legal issues, it is just ugly optics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back