Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Clurey , he’s not a world beater but he’s a good player , he’s been reliable for the most part and done some hard jobs , he has the odd bad game but he’s usually good . He’s not the best on a hard leading tall key forward but when he plays in front he usually does well .
The problem is he's usually stuck on the oppositions biggest KPF, where as our defense should be: A 195cm+ KPD to take the main KPF, leaving Aliir free to intercept and Clurey to be the 3rd KPD, taking the lesser threat. Get in a 195cm+ KPD, ditch Jonas and let Clurey play that role until we have a younger KPD (195cm+ ideally!) coming through to replace him.

Latest on Clurey:

Cal Twomey reckons Clurey is open to a trade
PORT DEFENDER OPEN TO MOVE
PORT Adelaide defender Tom Clurey is open to a trade despite having two years to run on his deal with the Power.

The backman has played one senior game this year (in round three) and is out for the rest of the season with a back injury, but he will be on the trade market with the search for more opportunities.

Clurey, 29, is signed at Alberton Oval until the end of 2025 but clubs could look at him as they comb the competition for available key defenders.

The experienced backman has played 124 games with the Power and been a consistent member of their line-up in recent years. He played 13 games last season.

He played four games in the SANFL with the Port Adelaide Magpies before the back injury saw him ruled out for the remainder of 2023. – Callum Twomey

Not opposed to this tbh, is we pull off McKay and Ratugolea this off season we could end up with very little room for him in the side, dunno what we could get in return but it’s not the worst outcome if he left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will only be steak knives in a trade, but there's no point having him on our list anymore really, so might as well cash whatever loose change we can get

Will only be steak knives in a trade, but there's no point having him on our list anymore really, so might as well cash whatever loose change we can get
A late 3rd round pick or upgrading a late 3rd to an early 3rd round pick would be the best we could realistically expect. If his name was Fred Smith and played for another club, then I'd be livid if we were paying more than that. He's a 3rd key back turning 30 early season, whose under 195cm, not great at intercepting, not particularly fast and coming off an extended injury, where he struggled to be selected in a side screaming out for KPD's before injury.

I'd take a 4th round pick or turning a 4th into a 3rd, to get him off the books.

Anytime you want a player to have a down year, injuries, become trade bait or be delisted let me know and I’ll nominate them in the Buddy Draft.

With the rapid decline of our captain was hoping that Tom would get more opportunities this year.
Sadly not to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's not a lot of Tom Clurey noise.

There's not a lot of Tom Clurey noise.

There’s 2 weeks of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from an extra inch of height BZT and Clurey are basically the exact same player, and that player isn't very good. Expect BZT to end up on the football scrapheap in a few years like Clurey is now.

I hope we’ve got a home for Tom Clurey lined up. Our lack of list space is a bit of a problem with all or targets.

I hope we’ve got a home for Tom Clurey lined up. Our lack of list space is a bit of a problem with all or targets.
Spot on. I would even be happy paying half his salary and receiving a 4th rounder just to open up another list spot.

1st rounder or he stays coz port will be happy to keep him even though he wants to leave

Am I doing this right?
You forgot to add that this year there is a premium on Tall Defenders because the Scott brothers said so and next year, if we try and lure Tom Hawkins, it will be the year that there is a premium on big eared, oiled up narcissists because the Scott’s say there is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back