Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

So where is Cluzza at?

He is a good size, has reasonable disposal, is solid and has a tank. Yes he was injured early on but now has several games in the SANFL now and should be ready. He has played AFL games and looked alright and is now in his 4th season at the club.

So why is he not pushing for selection?

Why does he not come in when Carlile isn't fit, Hombsch was struggling, Trengove is rucking and Jonas is suspended? Why has Austin surpassed him? Is Clurey done? Does he need to be thrown in the middle again or perhaps up forward?

He's fast becoming a wasted talent on our list. We have a history of letting talent wither on the vine.

He's fast becoming a wasted talent on our list. We have a history of letting talent wither on the vine.

Yep agree, if he isn't getting regular games by the end of the year I'd be sad but not mad if he asked for a trade. So frustrating to see plodders like Stewart getting a game ahead of him, is 22yo and should be getting up around the 50 game mark not wasting away in the SANFULL.

Clurey is way over rated from everthing i have seen, he has the ability to be a real solid defender but apart from that i dont see much else, should he be playing? well now Jonas is out he most probably should be, i know his body has let him down a bit but he's hardly banging the door down. If we loose to both Melbourne & Collingwood im ready to play the kids for the rest of the year

Yep agree, if he isn't getting regular games by the end of the year I'd be sad but not mad if he asked for a trade. So frustrating to see plodders like Stewart getting a game ahead of him, is 22yo and should be getting up around the 50 game mark not wasting away in the SANFULL.
Stewart has been filling his role in the side while Clurey has been putting up subpar performances in the SANFL.

I believe he will find form, but I think you are being pretty harsh on Paul Stewart who has definitely earned his place in our defence this year.

Stewart has been filling his role in the side while Clurey has been putting up subpar performances in the SANFL.

I believe he will find form, but I think you are being pretty harsh on Paul Stewart who has definitely earned his place in our defence this year.

Perhaps I am, the thing is though we know where Stewie's ceiling in whereas we don't know what the big Clurey could be capable of until we give him a nice extended run ala DBJ. If we can find it in our hearts to play Amon I think Clurey should be getting a go.

Perhaps I am, the thing is though we know where Stewie's ceiling in whereas we don't know what the big Clurey could be capable of until we give him a nice extended run ala DBJ. If we can find it in our hearts to play Amon I think Clurey should be getting a go.
You should be more concerned with minnow state leagues holding "state games" which gives us another bye & robs a guy like Clurey getting sorely needed game time in after injury.

Its bizarre unless we think Stewart (god bless his cotton socks) is part of our next tilt at the flag.

Clurey is last in line at the moment. Not sure Tom will make it, 4th year and yet to develop to a quality SANFL footballer. will give him a bit of a break missing some time this year, but would really want to come on in the next 10 games to get a contract. not sure where he stands at all. not really good enough defensively to displace key defender and doesn't really do enough offensively. Austin will come in before Clurey and that's the right decision.

Clurey is last in line at the moment. Not sure Tom will make it, 4th year and yet to develop to a quality SANFL footballer. will give him a bit of a break missing some time this year, but would really want to come on in the next 10 games to get a contract. not sure where he stands at all. not really good enough defensively to displace key defender and doesn't really do enough offensively. Austin will come in before Clurey and that's the right decision.

Already has a contract for 2017.

Last year he showed he was afl standard so it's a bit strange to say he isn't sanfl standard after he has missed the pre season and had all of 3'games to get some fitness and form back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its bizarre unless we think Stewart (god bless his cotton socks) is part of our next tilt at the flag.
Ding ding. We have a winner. Stewart is a quintessential playing for a mid-table finish, rather than a bit lower whilst blooding a younger player selection. Reeks of latter day Choco.

When I saw Cluzza at the bay oval against the Maggies in his first season I thought he had plenty to work with, but he was disappointing for a lot of 2015, and as far as I can recall didn't play an AFL game.

Like you, I believe Austin has gone past Tommy, and although he has a contract for 2017 he wouldn't be the first contracted player to be traded, so injuries aside he may need a strong finish to this season to not be at least considered as trade bait.

Already has a contract for 2017.

Last year he showed he was afl standard so it's a bit strange to say he isn't sanfl standard after he has missed the pre season and had all of 3'games to get some fitness and form back.

no, he did not. played a good game on howe before being pretty poor in the 2 weeks following then being dropped.then was selected again and getting in a couple "pass" games before being dropped again. that is not an afl standard footballer. It was his third season.

as for the SANFL standard comment,i said he wasn't a quality SANFL player not "not sanfl standard". which he is not. Kane Mitchell is a quality SANFL player. Steve Summerton is a quality SANFL player but neither are currently afl standard.

A bit paranoid I think. Spent a lot of weeks on the sideline with an injury and has only had a couple of games back. Hasn't really found form yet but he did have about 6-8 weeks off if I remember right so that's to be expected
Form and fitness play no part in our selections though.

O'Shea can't tackle or use the ball and Krakouer is not fit enough to run out a game in the back pocket. Both get guaranteed games every week. Stewart? How did he end up going from potential delistee at the start of the season to being one of our first choice defenders?

Why not give Clurey (or Austin) a go ahead of these guys? Carlile will be rushed back in next week no matter how he plays in the SANFL.

So where is Cluzza at?

He is a good size, has reasonable disposal, is solid and has a tank. Yes he was injured early on but now has several games in the SANFL now and should be ready. He has played AFL games and looked alright and is now in his 4th season at the club.

So why is he not pushing for selection?

Why does he not come in when Carlile isn't fit, Hombsch was struggling, Trengove is rucking and Jonas is suspended? Why has Austin surpassed him? Is Clurey done? Does he need to be thrown in the middle again or perhaps up forward?
I fear he may move on to another club.

Lol

Tom has not even played double digit afl games and is already labelled as not afl standard. :rolleyes:

Ill back him in, he is our full back post carlile/stewart phase. He just needs to get his form up in the sanfl and once he does a lot of people will have egg on their faces. He isnt getting traded anytime soon, trust me

Clurey has everything to make it at AFL but just hasn't shown a lot as yet. Definitely should be up for selection soon if he performs at SANFL

I like him as a footballer, I just worry about the sort of forward he'd match up on. Doesn't have the height of Trengove/Austin, the athleticism of Hombsch/O'Shea or the strength of Carlile/Jonas. Maybe the thing he has going for him is stamina? I really like him against the Tom Lynch or Stewart Crameri medium marking forward types, but not every team has a Tom Lynch or Stewart Crameri medium marking forward type.

Clurey should never have been dropped when he was in last year.

He was just about our best (least bad) player in that reaming we got from the Dogs and then got dropped the week after. Was a baffling call.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back