Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

He's building fitness still, As I said on the last page. We should revisit this in 3 weeks.
Looks like my estimate was just about right. Give him 3 weeks then he should be in the team on the 4th week.

I feel this deserves a bump.

Clurey has been beyond solid since returning. Had to take on some very good players, and has his share of scalps from this.

Love his willingness to not only contest, but to run off and keep his often much higher rated opponent honest - I think he definitely has to stay in the 22 and will only look better with Hombsch etc around him.

If you'd said we'd be lining up in defense with the personnel we have this season last year, I'd assume we'd get destroyed. Instead we've seen some real promise of the next generation coming through.

I feel this deserves a bump.

Clurey has been beyond solid since returning. Had to take on some very good players, and has his share of scalps from this.

Love his willingness to not only contest, but to run off and keep his often much higher rated opponent honest - I think he definitely has to stay in the 22 and will only look better with Hombsch etc around him.

If you'd said we'd be lining up in defense with the personnel we have this season last year, I'd assume we'd get destroyed. Instead we've seen some real promise of the next generation coming through.
Should be an interesting pre-season, I think he will be fighting with Austin for a spot in the team for round 1.

Logan is taller, but only by about 2 cm. Looks like the title of the thread for Logan Austin that says 197 cm KPD was an error as he was 194 when we picked him up and according to the latest stats on portadelaidefc.com.au is 195 cm.
At the moment I'm not sure who I'd give the nod to, it's been a difficult year to gauge new players.

Logan is taller, but only by about 2 cm. Looks like the title of the thread for Logan Austin that says 197 cm KPD was an error as he was 194 when we picked him up and according to the latest stats on portadelaidefc.com.au is 195 cm.
At the moment I'm not sure who I'd give the nod to, it's been a difficult year to gauge new players.

I'm not sure why we wouldn't go with Clurey Austin and Hombsch as the three cornerstones of our back 6 in round one next year.

I like that, but Jonas will play Rd 1.

I'm not so sure.

Reckon Ken wasn't so sure about the back ups so a few of the more senior guys got games they shouldn't have.

He has had a good look at the back ups now.

DBJ, Clurey, Austin and Hombsch would all be in front of him I think. Throw Trengove back in there and we only have one spot, not confident it is Toms unless he has a magnificent preseason.

.....DBJ, Clurey, Austin and Hombsch would all be in front of him I think. Throw Trengove back in there and we only have one spot, not confident it is Toms unless he has a magnificent preseason.
Pittard would have that last spot, and that is a good back six.
I've doubted Jackos mobility, but he looked ok against the crows. Perhaps rucking has improved his mobility?

clurey has been excellent, undersized but held his own... seems more a 3rd tall type defender ala Jonas. but he has a nice boot on him and can run....

My back 6 round 1 next year

DBJ Hombsh Pittard
Clurey Austin Krak

Id keep jonas as some cover but Carlile and Broadbent would be gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that, but Jonas will play Rd 1.
I hope not. He's a stopper, a role now made largely redundant with reduced rotations. Clurey, Austin and Hombsch as the talls, DBJ, Pittard and one of Krak or Bonner as the smalls should be the basis of the backline. Jacko can match up if we're playing a side with 2 195+ players, otherwise can be the intercepting mark or rest forward when not rucking (or be turned into a Westhoff who plays more than 1 quarter a game).

I hope not. He's a stopper, a role now made largely redundant with reduced rotations. Clurey, Austin and Hombsch as the talls, DBJ, Pittard and one of Krak or Bonner as the smalls should be the basis of the backline. Jacko can match up if we're playing a side with 2 195+ players, otherwise can be the intercepting mark or rest forward when not rucking (or be turned into a Westhoff who plays more than 1 quarter a game).

He's still our best one on one defender.

Isn't he coming out of contract? Reckon he will ask for a trade home to be honest. No source, just a guess...

Who Tom?

Loves the joint from what I have heard.

I'm not Cluzza's greatest fan ( yet :rolleyes: ), but he has definitely done a good job since he has been given a run of games.

In my humble opinion he has far more upside than Jonas, who was absolutely dreadful in 2015, and for a number of reasons didn't fire too many shots this season either.

If TJ isn't contracted, it wouldn't surprise me greatly if his spot on the list is under threat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back