Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Some very interesting takes in this thread.

You don't force out guys like Boak - he stays til he wants to leave.

If he isn't playing AFL week to week I'd be surprised.

The guy had a shocker against the Swans, but he puts in a solid shift most weeks. If he stays fit enough I'd be happy to see him get to 400.

Fine with it. We don't have 23 better players than him yet. Until we do he should stay. Certainly rather have Travis Boak on our list than the likes of McEntee, Clurey and Ratkins.

Some very interesting takes in this thread.

You don't force out guys like Boak - he stays til he wants to leave.

If he isn't playing AFL week to week I'd be surprised.

The guy had a shocker against the Swans, but he puts in a solid shift most weeks. If he stays fit enough I'd be happy to see him get to 400.
Seems to be the way at Port these days, they stay until they want to leave, just like Hinkley.

If there's 36 players that we can get on our list that are better than him, sure send him packing.

I can think of plenty of coaches better than Hinkley.
Have to agree with your last sentence.

As far as Boak goes, SPP will be back next year which I think may push Boak to the 2nds but the Jury is still out on players like Meade & Mcentee,

The sad part is we should have depth pushing him out but we haven't, not a good sign.

That’s a shockingly low bar.

But the club’s burning desire is to ‘make the eight’, so it makes sense overall.
Of course its a low bar, that's the point. It's our lowest bar; we will always have A lowest bar, so as long as Boak is above it (wherever it is), he should play on.

1 dollar and 1 cents is not much, but it is more than one dollar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is silly emotion based decision making to offer him a contract, because he’s been around a long time, stayed after 2012, etc etc.

All of that is great, but what’s best for the club should always come first, and Travis sticking around is detrimental. It’s a list spot taken up. And because our coaches aren’t ruthless, it’ll continue to be a spot in the 22 taken up.

If he is happy providing leadership in the sanfl and maybe some AFL when needed I see no harm.

Always good to have older players to set an example... Training work rate ect...

Maybe don't follow his example of kicking goals... Ect.
Love the last sentence, that's why imo he should of hung up those boots lol.

I think he was renewed on form, the leniency to Ken is not extended to the players, they would have sacked him last year if it weren't for the public outcry.

I think it's definitely a positive. I'm sure boak would be willing to step down to the SANFL if there is enough young talent to replace him, though I am not confident that will be the case this season. I was hoping mead would come along better than he has, but I think at this point he is just not AFL level and detracts from the team having him there. Until players like that are replaced boak still has a spot.

He had some horrible turn overs against Sydney, but aside from those he was actually one of the few players who looked like they wanted to play that day, and if they all showed up with his enthusiasm we likely would have won despite any mistakes.

If Boak goes around again, we get further away from the flat not only this but for another year or two.

He's helping us to lose finals and people still want him around.

He's being selfish and those who say he should retire when he wants can get Boaky to 500.

5 goals 17 points for the season, yay!!!

He's moving into Tom Jonas territory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back