Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's being borderline mismanaged. Too often taking the game on and his disposal is poor, which is why he kicked 5.17 in front of goals. He either has to play a mentor on field coach role like Hodge was doing in his last years.

Mentors should be clutch.

Boak is not this, he’s just a great athlete and bloke.

I assume the plan is to have him continue to be an elite trainer/preparer to lead by example and then spend most of his matchdays at the Maggies?

I don't know why people are thinking this. He's still best 23 and if not best 23 then very close. Factor in a few injuries as is normal and he'll be playing AFL most weeks.

We can still keep Boak on minimum chips and play kids over him. Its not exactly one or the other. The question is more if Boak is happy to be mostly Magpies bound.

Official ...

PORT ADELAIDE great Travis Boak has signed a one-year contract extension, with the 36-year-old set to play a remarkable 19th AFL season.

Putting pen to paper this week, the much-loved club veteran became the first Port Adelaide AFL player to reach the 350-game milestone earlier in the year.

A former captain of the club, winner of two John Cahill Medals, three All-Australian blazers and runner-up in the Brownlow Medal count in 2020, Boak has a long list of career accolades to his name.

The Victorian product famously rejected pursuits from the Geelong Cats early in his career, staying loyal to the Power and helping propel the club forward from some of its darkest days.

Now, with 371 games under his belt, the hard-working Boak is keen to go round again.

“I’m absolutely thrilled to be staying on for another year with Port Adelaide,” Boak said.

“I love this club and feel like I still have more to give. I never considered going elsewhere to continue my career.

“I’m so pleased the club has my back and wants me to play on. I’m already looking forward to 2025 and I’m excited to see what we can achieve as a group.”

I thought his retirement after that Sydney game was the right move, but I’m still happy he’s back. He still has a bit to give, is a good leader, and contributes positively to our team’s culture. It’s also great to see that Collingwood won’t be getting him in a coaching role.

I don't know why people are thinking this. He's still best 23 and if not best 23 then very close. Factor in a few injuries as is normal and he'll be playing AFL most weeks.

Are we sure? He was dreadful in the Prelim, and the season doesn’t start for another 5-6 months.

Look at how quickly Tom Jonas fell off.

At 36 and a half, he’ll be ‘fumes of Marc Murphy’ sooner than later.

You don't retire your club greats. If Boak wants to go around again that's enough for me.

Should break R Ebert's all time port games record next year too
IF he plays one more game he is our AFL games record holder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't retire your club greats. If Boak wants to go around again that's enough for me.

Should break R Ebert's all time port games record next year too
I don't agree on that, especially these days when they are costing the club at least half a million a year.

I just think Boak can still contribute, so should stay.

Dixon had nothing left and a poor attitude.

Are we sure? He was dreadful in the Prelim, and the season doesn’t start for another 5-6 months.

Look at how quickly Tom Jonas fell off.

At 36 and a half, he’ll be ‘fumes of Marc Murphy’ sooner than later.

Physically he looked in better condition this year than last year.

Tom Jonas wasn't much of an athlete even in his prime so I don't think that's the best comparison.

If he runs aground then so be it. He's a club great and you're a long time retired. I'd certainly rather give him another year than say Narkle.

I don't agree on that, especially these days when they are costing the club at least half a million a year.

I just think Boak can still contribute, so should stay.

Dixon had nothing left and a poor attitude.
Dixon had nothing left 24 months ago

Physically he looked in better condition this year than last year.

Tom Jonas wasn't much of an athlete even in his prime so I don't think that's the best comparison.

If he runs aground then so be it. He's a club great and you're a long time retired. I'd certainly rather give him another year than say Narkle.
My thinking, look at the Narkle, McEntee and Atkins types we have, he's better than them so should stay on.

My thinking, look at the Narkle, McEntee and Atkins types we have, he's better than them so should stay on.

That’s a shockingly low bar.

But the club’s burning desire is to ‘make the eight’, so it makes sense overall.

Nothing against Boak but I believe if we want to get better we must bring in youth.

He has been a fantastic role model but unfortunately could never kick important goals and did turn over the ball twice, straight to the opposition in the finals.

Should have retired imo, SPP will be back next year so maybe Trav can help out the struggling Magpies.

He was passionately know as Captain Butter Fingers in our household when he was captain.

Last edited:
We can still keep Boak on minimum chips and play kids over him. Its not exactly one or the other. The question is more if Boak is happy to be mostly Magpies bound.
Or accept that he would make a very good sub. Not every week obviously, but we can play a different kid in front of him most weeks instead of having them as the sub and he would be very effective.

Prior to the prelim, i thought one more year was a near certainty and fair considering he had contributed reasonably well in season 2024.

But that game had me second guessing that, as it was awful but a lot of it was game plan and coaching driven. Why he was found anywhere near the defensive 50 and kicking through the bloody corridor still baffles me. That's never been in his wheelhouse.

Nevertheless, i'm happy to see him go around again. Will offer more to the group than some late pick in the draft and offer more than Narkle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back