Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind or begrudge Travis Boak going around again. We are not going any near top in 2025 and Boak will add some depth and maybe some experience at SANFL level. I will take an aging Travis Boak over the likes of Jed McEntee, Francis Evans and Rory Atkins any day and I do not see much outstanding young talent that Travis is going to hold out of the side.

Agree Boak is part of the problem. He needs to retire. Other young players will step up. He has been a great club man & his 2024 was pretty good, particularly his effort throughout the season. But he has never had that burning desire to win a flag imo or take public accountability for team underperformance during his captaincy. His diabolical Swans performance highlighted why he should retire. He is not part of the future & he won't get any better next year. Won't be a popular opinion but cest la vie.
IIRC last year when we were in finals, it might've been coming into finals or winning against the Hawks, Boak said that 'he's just enjoying the moment' and that is why he is a loser, no, lets win, lets crush the opposition, just, it's all about me and how I feel and how lucky I am in this moment.

I get that people say that Boak is better than other guys playing like McSpudentee, Fevans and Narkle but that is more based on that the coach actually plays these list cloggers and all would struggle to get games elsewhere. You've just got to let a guy like Lorenz or Anastasopoulos play and see what happens.

I think the Lions GF team had 5 guys under 21 play significant minutes and kick goals. The young guys can really add plenty to the team.

Ratkins and Boak playing lots of games in the SANFL next year, combined will be paid double a SANFL club's salary cap.

Boak should spend half a season in the SANFL. He looked tired in the finals. You know Hinkley will play him there and accept his turnovers so manage his season. He's no Scott Pendlebury who can bend time and not get crunched by oppo players.

Super excited to see the legend Travis Boak going around again!! He's super dangerous around goals and his calm presence out on the field always lifts the boys! Go power!! 💪🏼

My bet is he retires mid/late season when he's out of the AFL side more than in it.
Part of me thinks he doesn't want that Prelim to be his last game.

I don't mind him going around again. Don't think he'll be the handicap people are suggesting. But I do think the cliff edge is not far away

IIRC last year when we were in finals, it might've been coming into finals or winning against the Hawks, Boak said that 'he's just enjoying the moment' and that is why he is a loser, no, lets win, lets crush the opposition, just, it's all about me and how I feel and how lucky I am in this moment.

I get that people say that Boak is better than other guys playing like McSpudentee, Fevans and Narkle but that is more based on that the coach actually plays these list cloggers and all would struggle to get games elsewhere. You've just got to let a guy like Lorenz or Anastasopoulos play and see what happens.

I think the Lions GF team had 5 guys under 21 play significant minutes and kick goals. The young guys can really add plenty to the team.
Agree totally & those younger Lions players were great. They added so much enthusiasm to the team. We have to give our younger guys a decent go. I would trial the better skilled players if those players are keen to give it a go. Give them 4-5 games at least to let them settle into the faster pace & pressure. One or two will step up despite maybe average Sanfl form. F Evans should be delisted imo. I would try McEntee as a tagger, he did the role once & was excellent. Don't get why we didn't continue it. If he can't do that or doesnt want to do the role then delist. I don't think Narkle will make it & would delist 2 of the 3. They are not taking us to a GF & nor is Boak. He's had his chance, time to move on but we just never do.

Yes Brisbane did have 5 players under 21 in their Grand Final Team.

Will Ashcroft Pick #2 2022 draft
Jasper Fletcher Pick #12 2022 draft
Darcy Wilmot Pick #16 2021 draft
Kai Lohmann Pick #20 2021 draft
Logan Morris Pick #31 2023 draft

2020 we traded out of for Mitch Georgiades. And Brisbane was the side who gave us the pick. And got Lachie Jones.
2021 Josh Sinn, injured. But pick 60 Jase Burgoyne played 23 games.
2022 We traded that away for JHF, who fits in this range.

Its funny because the only first rounder we're not playing in this age ground is Josh Sinn who keeps getting injured. Thats 4 players.
So just the one less without having the option of 2 likely top 10 picks in an open draft.

Meanwhile people here are complaining that we're not getting games into abunch of third and 4th rounders.
Will Lorenz Pick #57 2023 draft
Tom Scully Pick #53 2022 draft
Ollie Lord Pick #49 2020

Yes Brisbane did have 5 players under 21 in their Grand Final Team.

Will Ashcroft Pick #2 2022 draft
Jasper Fletcher Pick #12 2022 draft
Darcy Wilmot Pick #16 2021 draft
Kai Lohmann Pick #20 2021 draft
Logan Morris Pick #31 2023 draft

2020 we traded out of for Mitch Georgiades. And Brisbane was the side who gave us the pick. And got Lachie Jones.
2021 Josh Sinn, injured. But pick 60 Jase Burgoyne played 23 games.
2022 We traded that away for JHF, who fits in this range.

Its funny because the only first rounder we're not playing in this age ground is Josh Sinn who keeps getting injured. Thats 4 players.
So just the one less without having the option of 2 likely top 10 picks in an open draft.

Meanwhile people here are complaining that we're not getting games into abunch of third and 4th rounders.
Will Lorenz Pick #57 2023 draft
Tom Scully Pick #53 2022 draft
Ollie Lord Pick #49 2020
Imagine if the Lions swapped three of those young guns out for McEntee, Fevans and Narkle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back