Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, that's somewhat true, but please let's not use the holy name of The Gav in the same sentence as Casissy.

4 goals in a premiership (captain or not) buys a lot of leave passes.
Gav was a winner, a talent, but he just wasn't a leader nor did he play in positions where a captain normally would.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

when rozee had 36 and 3 goals in gather round our whole board was saying he is our best captain lol

As someone above said: Cannot capain someone who plays footy as a hooby

he is getting married, planning a weading, renovating his house and had a daughter this year. aswell as first year captain.

Footy is a hobby to him

Give the captaincy to someone else, problem is there are no worthy candidates.

Yep.

The dude went all in on his family life the second he was announced as captain. I don't mean to diminish the important of family but you think you could at least just knuckle down and put footy first for one season to set yourself up in the role? Unfortunately a lot of people do have to prioritise their jobs and delay developments in their personal life sometimes. It's normal.

Yep.

The dude went all in on his family life the second he was announced as captain. I don't mean to diminish the important of family but you think you could at least just knuckle down and put footy first for one season to set yourself up in the role? Unfortunately a lot of people do have to prioritise their jobs and delay developments in their personal life sometimes. It's normal.

Do you think he would have been made captain if their pregnancy happened before the decision was made?

First thing I thought of at the time was 'Wow that's alot in 12 months for someone who is still very young'

Wines or Houston were the consensus choice for captain after Jonas.

The reality is that every choice was going to be wrong.

It's desperate but I do hold a bit of weight from Joel Selwoods comments when he did some mentoring at the club and said that Rozee and Butters being leaders was not the issue at the club (in fact he praised them for that), it was that the players had no cohesion on field which is what we all know - coaching.

It's just very weird.

Since moving to the midfield last year, 25D/game was effortless for him. Could do it in his sleep.

Feels lucky if he can even crack the 20 mark these days.

It's like with Wingard where he suddenly stopped being an elite AFL player basically became a list filler in what should be his prime.

It's just very weird.

Since moving to the midfield last year, 25D/game was effortless for him. Could do it in his sleep.

Feels lucky if he can even crack the 20 mark these days.

It's like with Wingard where he suddenly stopped being an elite AFL player basically became a list filler in what should be his prime.

Some players just can't handle the weight of expectation well. I think he should have turned to job down tbh.

Wines or Houston were the consensus choice for captain after Jonas.

The reality is that every choice was going to be wrong.

It's desperate but I do hold a bit of weight from Joel Selwoods comments when he did some mentoring at the club and said that Rozee and Butters being leaders was not the issue at the club (in fact he praised them for that), it was that the players had no cohesion on field which is what we all know - coaching.
Selwood was bang on about no cohesion on field, when things are against us it folds like a pack of cards

It’s clear Connor isn’t the Uber tough captain that we need or that we expect.

He may yet grow into it but it feels like he isn’t right for the role.

Also feels like we needed to move him out of the midfield and get him to small forward or HBF role.

Seems that Wines should have been interim captain and let Butters, Rozee, JHF show who wants it and is worthy of it.

I've come to Connor's defense several times throughout the year for his flat track accusations, but this finals record of his is absolutely unforgiveable and needs to be addressed.

You can't have a leader setting such a bad tone for a massive match, and even Boak did a much better job at this when he was in his prime, hell, even Tom Jonas set a better physical standard as a finals captain than this guy.

Send him to half back for the next final URGENTLY, and make him earn more of the ball and get more involved with a struggling defense that needs a leader. If not he can give the captaincy to JHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The talk when he was made captain was that he’s “worked hard on his leadership”. Whilst in isolation it isn’t a bad thing, it is clear that the decision to make him captain was a forced one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back