Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Connor Rozee is a jet and will end up a pretty solid captain under a better coach. His best is yet to come I reckon
Yeah and he's having a down year and maybe its because of an injury, maybe life, maybe the captaincy.

I think he had an injury he had to play through before and his form dropped. He might be one of those guys who needs to be cherry ripe and can play through injury but not very well.

A better coach and a better system and he should be good to go.

He's 24 years old with a kid and he's getting married next month. And yet here is he talking about Ken being a father figure to the players. Gonna have Ken hold your hand at the wedding too, Connor?

This whole "father figure" stuff is absolute garbage. Ken has turned his young boys into a bunch of Peter Pans who will never grow up under his tutelage.

They need a massive reality check and to ultimately grow the fück up.

I think the last past of this is why I can’t blame the players. The club has enabled the coach to create this environment. That is the environment many of these players have experienced for their entire professional life.

We have enabled a cult to be created. The victims need to be deprogrammed.

Connor Rozee is a jet and will end up a pretty solid captain under a better coach. His best is yet to come I reckon

If he fails to raise the bar tomorrow night & we get embarrassed again the new coach will appoint JHF Captain, & rightfully so.

Last edited:
To be fair, I have a 24 year old - he's actually pretty mature for his age and he speaks really well. I've met Connor and he's a decent bloke. His job as Captain is to lead his team, set an example by playing good hard football and represent his club in a way that makes its members proud. While I think JHF will be our best captain I think Rozee does a decent job in the interim. When he said that in his 6 years of footy he's been in in the top four in four of the six years it made me realise that while my kids haven't seen us win a grand final they've definitely been to a lot of winning games - the club hasn't had its greatest success as yet but we've been bloody close. Rozee had a quiet game last week I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll come out firing on Friday.

You've completely missed the point I made.

They've always been around the mark the last few years in particular - talent has never been an issue, it's all mental with this lot. But until this playing group grows up and is treated like men instead of boys, it'll always be a boys vs men matchup in the finals.

Thats Ridiculous, JHF is nowherenear ready for captaincy.

This whole board Glazes him way too much.
I don’t agree with the second sentence. But agree that he shouldn’t be captain yet.

We’ve only seen a fraction of what he’s capable of. Let him fully realise his potential before making him captain.

You've completely missed the point I made.

They've always been around the mark the last few years in particular - talent has never been an issue, it's all mental with this lot. But until this playing group grows up and is treated like men instead of boys, it'll always be a boys vs men matchup in the finals.

It's been mental since 2001.

Excluding 2004, we have struggled with the pressure. It's so unlike Port Adelaide past. I'd say 2007 was the exemption. )1, 02, 03 failed expectation. 05 humiliation, 07 stood up, 08 just sad, who can forget that Brisbane away loss, similar to now, destroyed them from centre, nearly 10 goals up and lose!, 13 broke even, 14 disaster, 15 disaster, 17 disappointing, 20 fail, 21 diabolical, 23 diabolical. Our club has lost it's ruthlessness and it started prior to Hinkely

Thats Ridiculous, JHF is nowherenear ready for captaincy.

This whole board Glazes him way too much.

He’s a generational football talent who exhibits natural leadership qualities. Make no mistake, the players will follow him to the ends of the earth, & he will establish himself as one of the games all time greats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

needs a massive game or this monkey is gunna get huge for him.

The first quarter might be as important as any quarter he has ever played.

he will start to be called out by the media and then it will be stacks on the mill.

Butters's praise for Ken is well beyond what would be considered normal football club lip service and solidarity. That's why.

Also he's got a longer record of finals underachieving.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Butters's praise for Ken is well beyond what would be considered normal football club lip service and solidarity. That's why.

Also he's got a longer record of finals underachieving.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Mate,

JHF said in 2022 that Ken donuts was the reason he moved to port.

You guys just play favourites, and clearly you favour him above everyone else.

Just coz JHF appears to be a once in a generation talent, it doesn’t mean every other player is sub par ffs. Different players, different strengths and different all round ability. Rozzee isn’t an enforcer type who wins a hard ball, bulldozes through packs and wins multiple 1:1 contests against larger opponents like JHF does. He does bring silky ball use, vision and a cool head. It’s been reported he’s supportive to all the players and well respected. He will get there and grow with maturity.
JHF definitely leads on field through his tough and fearless approach which is great! You don’t have to have the title ‘ captain ‘ to be a leader.

Just coz JHF appears to be a once in a generation talent, it doesn’t mean every other player is sub par ffs. Different players, different strengths and different all round ability. Rozzee isn’t an enforcer type who wins a hard ball, bulldozes through packs and wins multiple 1:1 contests against larger opponents like JHF does. He does bring silky ball use, vision and a cool head. It’s been reported he’s supportive to all the players and well respected. He will get there and grow with maturity.
JHF definitely leads on field through his tough and fearless approach which is great! You don’t have to have the title ‘ captain ‘ to be a leader.
I feel like the biggest myth about Connor Rozee is that he is a good ball user.

He is a blaster. All his kicks are 50m bombs that go to contests.

If you watch JHF or Butters they both always look to spot up the 15-30m lead up. They are good ball users. Rozee is not.

He has a good nose around goals and, on a good day, can eat up metres with his run and carry.

But his actual ball use is not much better than a Boak type player.

If you watch JHF or Butters they both always look to spot up the 15-30m lead up. They are good ball users. Rozee is not.

He has a good nose around goals and, on a good day, can eat up metres with his run and carry.

I thought Rozee, Butters and JHF were all between 65 to 71% disposal efficiency? (Not that I put much weight on that measure).
Anyhoo…Im looking forward to seeing him hit form, avoid injuries and step up a level next year.

So he’s Tony Mcguiness

You won't like what the stats say in regard to this..

It's true that Rozee is more of a "Long down the line" type. But he's also far from a poor ball user.

Butters easily the best kick out of the 3.

You won't like what the stats say in regard to this..

It's true that Rozee is more of a "Long down the line" type. But he's also far from a poor ball user.

Butters easily the best kick out of the 3.
What stats?

Disposal efficiency is a crap measure of ball use given it is inflated by bombs down the line to 50m contests and uncontested chip marks in the D50.

But even by that measure he is below average.

I don't have access to the good stats in terms of ball use, but player ratings is a reasonably proxy, and by that measure he is something like the 170th best player in the comp.

Statistically he is an average footballer.

It’s Connor’s speed which is his greatest asset. His ability to not let teams to get out of stoppage with chase down tackles, and also to accelerate out of stoppage is great. He won the highest goal kicker in his first year.

I think we will see a different team tomorrow night. We played 3 games in a row to very defensive teams that just flooded both stoppage, and our f50, then we played Geelong who very smartly opened the whole game up. We just weren’t expecting it and didn’t adapt.

The Hawks have one mode, and we know what to expect this week. It’s a big game for Connor, hope he has his speed back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back