Picks 7 and 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a chance in hell Rockliff gets into the top 15 earners of 2018.

He'd need to be on $950K+ with the new EBA.

He will be and end of first imo.

So small defenders and small forwards not the generic 'outside speed and class'

Look at the great Geelong and Hawks teams. Smart players not quick ones as the most important.
Bulldogs last year wouldn't be considered an outside speed and class side.

Even Adelaide, Betts Cameron Atkins and Laird would look pretty average without Talia Hartigan Crouch X2 Sloane Walker and Lynch.

It's just a cop out for saying a side can't move the ball well
The Crows are a very well balanced list, they've got good inside and outside players that all complement each other.

It's the same as any side, you take the ball winners out and the outside players would struggle. That's a simpleton thing to say if you ask me.

Hawthorn went out and Burgoyne then drafted Cryril, Suckling, Smith and then Hill.

I'm absolutely rapt with Jack Steele, he will be a gun, but I'd be dirty if we went and paid something good for another Jack Steele, just because he was a good player.

Not a chance in hell Rockliff gets into the top 15 earners of 2018.

He'd need to be on $950K+ with the new EBA.

He will be and end of first imo.
Wouldn't he have to be in the top 5% of income earners? So if there are 800 players he would need to be in the top 40 earners across the league. Considering he's the last big free agent left and there is a lot of cap room left for a lot of clubs it's not too far from the realms of reality. By you saying he would need to get 950k+ means you think the top 40 earners in the league on average earn about 1 million a year. I don't think so. In a few years yes but as of this year I don't think so. 850k would be more around the mark imo.

So small defenders and small forwards not the generic 'outside speed and class'

Look at the great Geelong and Hawks teams. Smart players not quick ones as the most important.
Bulldogs last year wouldn't be considered an outside speed and class side.

Even Adelaide, Betts Cameron Atkins and Laird would look pretty average without Talia Hartigan Crouch X2 Sloane Walker and Lynch.

It's just a cop out for saying a side can't move the ball well

He's not looking to add a team of outside speed and class, he's looking to add a player. It's also untrue to say Cats or Hawks only had smart players as opposed to quick ones, same with the Bulldogs. Look no further than Johannisen and his influence last GF for an outside mid with class. And small forward/defender doesn't adequately describe the player either because guys like Jed Bews or Michael Hibberd are not the same as Johannisen or Isaac Smith.

Outside speed is a more accurate description, it implies a guy that doesn't so much win contested footy but that can out run his opponent and then use good foot skills to deliver the ball. That's not a lazy cop-out, it's a profile of player and it cannot be described merely by saying small forward/mid.

He's not looking to add a team of outside speed and class, he's looking to add a player. It's also untrue to say Cats or Hawks only had smart players as opposed to quick ones, same with the Bulldogs. Look no further than Johannisen and his influence last GF for an outside mid with class. And small forward/defender doesn't adequately describe the player either because guys like Jed Bews or Michael Hibberd are not the same as Johannisen or Isaac Smith.

Outside speed is a more accurate description, it implies a guy that doesn't so much win contested footy but that can out run his opponent and then use good foot skills to deliver the ball. That's not a lazy cop-out, it's a profile of player and it cannot be described merely by saying small forward/mid.

So essentially traditional winged and HFF/HBF. There is nothing wrong with asking for outside players which is players who prefer time and space to the inside game. However when they combine it with class it's so generic. Who wouldn't want more class on their list?
When you ask for outside players what do you want? Do you want ball carriers? Do you want blokes who set up behind the footy and kick? Do you want blokes who chase an tackle and know where the goals are? Hawthorn and Geelongs movement was a mindset and an ability of the players, not a purely athletic thing.

So essentially traditional winged and HFF/HBF. There is nothing wrong with asking for outside players which is players who prefer time and space to the inside game. However when they combine it with class it's so generic. Who wouldn't want more class on their list?
When you ask for outside players what do you want? Do you want ball carriers? Do you want blokes who set up behind the footy and kick? Do you want blokes who chase an tackle and know where the goals are? Hawthorn and Geelongs movement was a mindset and an ability of the players, not a purely athletic thing.

Yes, it would be more your traditional winger.

The class bit, for me, is just a way of saying he wants superior foot skills. That's not saying a better player, a guy like Suckling isn't a top player but I would put him in the category described. My assumption would be that if he wanted a guy that sets up behind the ball he would have said rebounding defender and if it was a guy that chases and tackles it would be defensive forward or winger. He didn't which has me thinking it's more the Isaac Smith type of player that operates more as a traditional winger.

Yes, it would be more your traditional winger.

The class bit, for me, is just a way of saying he wants superior foot skills. That's not saying a better player, a guy like Suckling isn't a top player but I would put him in the category described. My assumption would be that if he wanted a guy that sets up behind the ball he would have said rebounding defender and if it was a guy that chases and tackles it would be defensive forward or winger. He didn't which has me thinking it's more the Isaac Smith type of player that operates more as a traditional winger.
I'm sure everyone understands exactly what I mean by class, but you've summed it up nicely.

This dude just seems like he's got his cranky pants on.

Is Higgins the right fit when they have Billings, Gresham and Lonie? I'm a big fan and that's about where his range starts but the Saints are the one team I can see not really needing him and having greater needs elsewhere.
I believe that Higgins would still be a very good fit for the saints. Billings and Gresham will be earmarked to spend more time in the midfield as they continue to develop. Additionally Lonie could very much be on the way out as the saints have reportedly only given him a 1 year deal and is said to be exploring his options. Besides Higgins would be a significantly better upgrade on Lonie.

We could have our own mosquito fleet with Billings, Gresham and Higgins rotating between the midfield and forward line, making us more dynamic and unpredictable. The smalls set up has really helped Richmond improve greatly this year and made their game plan more dynamic and manic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure everyone understands exactly what I mean by class, but you've summed it up nicely.

This dude just seems like he's got his cranky pants on.

The Melbourne board consistently rile me up with the references. It's always been a pet hate because it seems to be the first thing trotted out after every loss by a side. Reason it gets me is every time some one this year has mentioned outside speed and class it's Josh Kelly. Like what side couldn't use Josh Kelly?

Then you mention those guys that fit the bill motlop/smith etc and every calls them inconsistent and soft.

I find it a frustrating circle but anyway play on.

On talent, he's up there with Dow and Rayner.
Oh i agree with that 100% i think he is a fantastic prospect.

But i cant see him as a top 3 based on who the teams with the top 3 picks are. Bris seem to be very keen on dow and ldu. Same with gc and probably include cerra there. Carlton seem to be licking their lips at getting rayner at 3 since bris and gc are looking elsewhere, and if for some reason rayner goes before 3. I cant see carl taking stephenson over who is left at 3.

Thats just my take on it. And after trade week my thoughts may change completely based on who has those top picks

Wouldn't he have to be in the top 5% of income earners? So if there are 800 players he would need to be in the top 40 earners across the league. Considering he's the last big free agent left and there is a lot of cap room left for a lot of clubs it's not too far from the realms of reality. By you saying he would need to get 950k+ means you think the top 40 earners in the league on average earn about 1 million a year. I don't think so. In a few years yes but as of this year I don't think so. 850k would be more around the mark imo.
Top 5% of players 25+ (i.e. FA age) about 300 players in that bracket, therefore top 15 players 25+ (which is probably top 15-18 of the league)

Oh i agree with that 100% i think he is a fantastic prospect.

But i cant see him as a top 3 based on who the teams with the top 3 picks are. Bris seem to be very keen on dow and ldu. Same with gc and probably include cerra there. Carlton seem to be licking their lips at getting rayner at 3 since bris and gc are looking elsewhere, and if for some reason rayner goes before 3. I cant see carl taking stephenson over who is left at 3.

Thats just my take on it. And after trade week my thoughts may change completely based on who has those top picks

He's the typical Gold Coast pick. I'd have no problem if we went for him at pick 1. We do need inside help but can address this at picks 12 and 18 with guys like Clark, Brayshaw and Worpel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 7 and 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back