Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

who is a better pick cyril rioli, ryan okeefe or mitch morton.

my thoughts:
cyril said to be having a full pre season and also set to have a full midfield role. makes heaps of tackles but not sure if he is a dt premium.

Okeefe not sure what happened last year after his stunning start to the year can someone fill me in. hopefully he will be played in the midfield this year. anyone have any news on how his pre season is going

Morton he has had a huge amount of hype after his move into th midfield but im nor sure how safe his job security is and whether or not he will score that good every week.

thoughts for discussion?????

who is a better pick cyril rioli, ryan okeefe or mitch morton.

my thoughts:
cyril said to be having a full pre season and also set to have a full midfield role. makes heaps of tackles but not sure if he is a dt premium.

Okeefe not sure what happened last year after his stunning start to the year can someone fill me in. hopefully he will be played in the midfield this year. anyone have any news on how his pre season is going

Morton he has had a huge amount of hype after his move into th midfield but im nor sure how safe his job security is and whether or not he will score that good every week.

thoughts for discussion?????

Geez 5 question marks. You really are confused eh?????:D

Cyril has hammys that have played up twice now when he is given extra workload/mid time and Hawks still don't have a suitable crumber to replace him up forward so a move to the midfield is still far from guaranteed.

ROK had groin trouble from midway through 2010 and played with restriction thereafter. Has had adductor release which is usually successful.

Mitch Morton looks a reasonably safe bet but he hasn't always been the best trainer and Hardwick is a hard taskmaster. He'll need to keep putting in.

I'm not touching ROK.
Looking at Sydneys midfield, a few up and comers who may further reduce his midfield time. He'll play there in patches at least, but hard to see too much improvement.
Possibly a bargain SC pick though. :p

Geez 5 question marks. You really are confused eh?????:D

Cyril has hammys that have played up twice now when he is given extra workload/mid time and Hawks still don't have a suitable crumber to replace him up forward so a move to the midfield is still far from guaranteed.

ROK had groin trouble from midway through 2010 and played with restriction thereafter. Has had adductor release which is usually successful.

Mitch Morton looks a reasonably safe bet but he hasn't always been the best trainer and Hardwick is a hard taskmaster. He'll need to keep putting in.
Thanks mate however i think im still going to lean towards cyril .half of the reason is because he is up there in my fav players also he is having a good pre season and i think he could be like ablet and break out from the games best small crumber to one of the games elite midfielders.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ipe-for-midfield/story-e6frf9jf-1225965724851

Thanks mate however i think im still going to lean towards cyril .half of the reason is because he is up there in my fav players also he is having a good pre season and i think he could be like ablet and break out from the games best small crumber to one of the games elite midfielders.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ipe-for-midfield/story-e6frf9jf-1225965724851

That article says,

"It will be a balance with him playing forward with bursts in the midfield, but that will be worked out more across the pre-season."

Can't see much, if any, increase in his DT numbers but the forward ranks are full of doubts so whatever floats your boat. Certainly great to watch and that makes having him more fun.

That article says,

"It will be a balance with him playing forward with bursts in the midfield, but that will be worked out more across the pre-season."

Can't see much, if any, increase in his DT numbers but the forward ranks are full of doubts so whatever floats your boat. Certainly great to watch and that makes having him more fun.
so wat floats your boat. rioli, okeefe or morton or another person around the price range

ive heard so much about morton but never really understood can you give me the insight please.

Was a highly regarded junior and was a high possession midfielder. Broke into Clarements senior side in 2004.

Recruited by WCE in 2004 draft under father/son rule. Father Noel played 171 games for Claremont.

Played 3 seasons for WCE but never cemented a spot.

Traded to Richmond end of 2007 for pick #35 in national draft.

Again had trouble cementing a spot and played as lead up 3rd forward which can be a grave yard.

Played 6 games in first half of 2010 as forward. Approached Hardwick about playing midfield and was told he would have to go back to the Magoos and prove himself. He did.

Played last 6 games. Five as a midfileder and one across half back although did get a couple of tagging jobs on Judd and Goddard. Nevertheless averaged 99 over those 6 games.

Appeared to be one of those who thought it would come easy and had a rep as being a corner cutter with his trainig and enjoying the good life. Seems to have pulled it together but needs to go on with it now.

Wallis from the Doggies? Racked them up in the TAC- will he get enough games in 2011? Could make some good dough and will start as a second round pick. How many rookies do you go for in 2011? There are a heap who will play 15-20 games.

Wallis from the Doggies? Racked them up in the TAC- will he get enough games in 2011? Could make some good dough and will start as a second round pick. How many rookies do you go for in 2011? There are a heap who will play 15-20 games.

No there aren't. History tells us that only a few will play 15 games. at this time of year we always harbour expectations that the new crop will play heaps of games. They won't. And in 2011 the games they play will be in many cases be half games. Take care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No there aren't. History tells us that only a few will play 15 games. at this time of year we always harbour expectations that the new crop will play heaps of games. They won't. And in 2011 the games they play will be in many cases be half games. Take care.

I count 20, 21 if you include Mitch Farmer who was priced in the "rookie" area.

Player - Games in 2010
Todd Banfield -22
Tom Scully - 21
Dustin Martin - 21
Anthony Morabito - 21
Benjamin Stratton - 20
Tom Rockliff - 19
Ben Nason - 19
Jackson Trengove - 19
Ben Cunninton - 18
Lewis Jetta - 18
Jack Trengove - 18
James Podsiadly - 17
Jarrad Grant - 17
Carl Peterson - 17
Scott Gumbleton - 17
Cameron Hitchcock - 17
David Astbury - 17
Nathan Fyfe - 16
Ben Howlett - 15
Phil Davis - 15

Mitch Farmer - 17

Was a highly regarded junior and was a high possession midfielder. Broke into Clarements senior side in 2004.

Recruited by WCE in 2004 draft under father/son rule. Father Noel played 171 games for Claremont.

Again had trouble cementing a spot and played as lead up 3rd forward which can be a grave yard.

Played 6 games in first half of 2010 as forward. Approached Hardwick about playing midfield and was told he would have to go back to the Magoos and prove himself. He did.

Played last 6 games. Five as a midfileder and one across half back although did get a couple of tagging jobs on Judd and Goddard. Nevertheless averaged 99 over those 6 games.

Appeared to be one of those who thought it would come easy and had a rep as being a corner cutter with his trainig and enjoying the good life. Seems to have pulled it together but needs to go on with it now.

Love this time of year. Quality posts don't have to be found amongst pages of fodder.

Beautiful work old fella:thumbsu:

Player - Games in 2010
Todd Banfield -22
Tom Scully - 21
Dustin Martin - 21
Anthony Morabito - 21
Benjamin Stratton - 20
Tom Rockliff - 19
Ben Nason - 19
Jackson Trengove - 19
Ben Cunninton - 18
Lewis Jetta - 18
Jack Trengove - 18
James Podsiadly - 17
Jarrad Grant - 17
Carl Peterson - 17
Scott Gumbleton - 17
Cameron Hitchcock - 17
David Astbury - 17
Nathan Fyfe - 16
Ben Howlett - 15
Phil Davis - 15

Mitch Farmer - 17

Ryan Bastinac played all 22 games as well.

Ryan Bastinac played all 22 games as well.

Good pickup. :thumbsu:

To be honest I was very surprised there were so many rookies to play over 15 games in 2010. Ollies is very correct though in saying that the new sub rule will detract from alot of the rookies in 2011. It has potential to cause alot of headaches for coaches this season.

I'm not sure he'll get a game straight away. And if he does, I don't think he'll be that strong a scorer early. The Bulldogs have far too many midfield options that I just don't know where Wallis fits in. Essentially, they are replacing Eagleton's 13 games with Justin Sherman. Although, if Callan Ward can slide over and take Akermanis' and Brad Johnson's forward role games, he might free up a spot for Wallace to play in the middle. One player I'm beginning to consider as a lock is Karmichael Hunt. I don't think he'll be a strong scorer, but if he's fit, GC cannot afford to just have him playing in the reserves. He's going to be played in every game possible regardless of form so that GC get as much value andf crowd pull to their games as possible. I don't see him as a big scorer, but he could be the perfect defender that stays on your team for the important late season bench cover (much the way Zac Dawson was used a few years back) should you be in a position where your two other bench options are earn enough money as cash cows to upgrade your defenders.

If the case for the affirmative rests, there are still some Morton red flags to consider.

- 5 seasons under 3 different coaches in 2 low performing teams but yet to secure a permanent position

- 5 good games is a very small sample for a role change to consider it permanent or as evidence that scoring will remain at that level

-Games played at the end of the year were with a point to prove whilst it had been a long season for many others. Could be different when starting from Rd 1.

- Still huge concerns over the defensive aspects of his game

- Remains a Tigers "whipping boy", who could be in the gun after a couple of poor results

- Jury still out on whether his mindset is completely where it needs to be

-Tigers coaching staff have indicated he will also push forward in 2011, as well as play the outside mid role

Morton is certainly on the radar as an option but is by no means a lock. Nab Cup watch IMO.

Player - Games in 2010
Todd Banfield -22
Tom Scully - 21
Dustin Martin - 21
Anthony Morabito - 21
Benjamin Stratton - 20
Tom Rockliff - 19
Ben Nason - 19
Jackson Trengove - 19
Ben Cunninton - 18
Lewis Jetta - 18
Jack Trengove - 18
James Podsiadly - 17
Jarrad Grant - 17
Carl Peterson - 17
Scott Gumbleton - 17
Cameron Hitchcock - 17
David Astbury - 17
Nathan Fyfe - 16
Ben Howlett - 15
Phil Davis - 15

Mitch Farmer - 17

I'm surprised there were that many last year. In my defence I was really referring to first year players and around half of those are second year or mature agers. Still more than I thought. Sub rule remains an impediment to rookies performing as well next year.

If the case for the affirmative rests, there are still some Morton red flags to consider.

- 5 seasons under 3 different coaches in 2 low performing teams but yet to secure a permanent position

- 5 good games is a very small sample for a role change to consider it permanent or as evidence that scoring will remain at that level

-Games played at the end of the year were with a point to prove whilst it had been a long season for many others. Could be different when starting from Rd 1.

- Still huge concerns over the defensive aspects of his game

- Remains a Tigers "whipping boy", who could be in the gun after a couple of poor results

- Jury still out on whether his mindset is completely where it needs to be

-Tigers coaching staff have indicated he will also push forward in 2011, as well as play the outside mid role

Morton is certainly on the radar as an option but is by no means a lock. Nab Cup watch IMO.

Why would they change the set up of his role that worked so well for him and the team in late 2010?
I'm not looking into it too much, but rather (as you said) watch the NAB closely.
Alot of those points above are very sceptical, and at the very least improvement is likely.

Why would they change the set up of his role that worked so well for him and the team in late 2010?

A lot of those points above are very sceptical, and at the very least improvement is likely.

Why would they change the setup? Because they said they would. But if you read my post it says they are looking for more of his outside mid role PLUS pushing forward.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/106188/default.aspx

Mitch Morton
Mitch went to the midfield halfway through last year, and towards the end of the season he played some really good footy for us as an outside mid. We're looking for that again, as well as him going forward. It's a big year for Mitch with the chance to solidify that spot.

Which points do you consider sceptical? Tigers whipping boy and mindset the jury's still out possibly, but the other 5 points are absolute fact and have to be considered when looking at a guy at his price.

There are definitely some uncertainties regarding Morton. If he doesn't improve his average to become a keeper you'll be using a trade on him which others that choose to not start with Morton won't have to waste.

Extremely unlikely that he'll keep up the 99 average he finished 2010 and there are definitely uncertainties surrounding him. Obviously one to keep an eye on throughout the NAB cup which will hopefully give us the information we need.

surprised enright hasnt been mentioned much or at all

will he keep up his consistant 90+ scoring every week or will age and tags wear him down???

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks For 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back