Cancelled
Collingwood Magpies - Alan Didak 2009 Player Sponsor
Sep 17, 2006
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm,Victory,Blue Jays
What players have you thought after 1 game or Season you thought where going to be guns for the Pies:

My List:

McGough - That anzac game made him look like a Future Champion and Everyone Including the media bulid him up to be one but We found shortly afterwards it because of the Terrible conditions hid that McGough was slow and had poor skills.

David King - He had 2 very exciting moments in 2004 where he kicked the winning goal against the Tigers and then Next week he kicked a Goal over his Head and I thought we had a Beauty here but He just Dissapered for some reason.

Andrew Williams - I thought he had some really good games for us when he 1st came over but never improved and Ended up at Willy.

What are yours?

i thought Chris Egan wasnt bad in 05 or 06 (not sure which year). Had a couple of good games one was against West Coast when they were on top and we were last. I thought we had a beauty on our hands. Look at him now though.

also i thought Richard Cole and Julian Rowe were going to be apart of the future of the club, along with McGough also. i also remember that over head kick by david king we played freo that night and won by 33 points i think it was.

• Banned
I also Though David Fanning would be a Gun - That did not turn out like that:(

Derm the perm - was around for a good time, not a long time
Sam Iles - never seemed to put a foot wrong and had a blinder against the Saints in 07 on that wet, cold day. I'm still wondering why he was delisted...
Blake Caracella - a cruel irony that he was wiped out by the Lions. He was looking the goods in '05

I thought Lokan was going to be a very handy player for us. Boy was I wrong.

Agree with that. I thought Lokan in his first preseason game maybe had skills to be handy. Not long after that I was wondering if I was watching the same player.

I was one who early on thought Egan would work out. I still think his problems lied in A being more athlete then footballer and then B having skills that made him foward flank and nothing more in a side with the most elite of small fowards. At another side he probably could have gone on Tambling style but when your competiting with Didak, Thomas, Davis and then Medhurst too there is no room for that.

Heath Shepherd - if my memory serves me correctly bagged a few on debut at Victoria Park, including an absolute screamer in front of the Collingwood race?

Looked like he could've been anything after that performance.

Andrew Tranquilli kicked 6 against the Eagles at the G in 93 or 95 I think - most of them on John Worsfold if memory serves.

I recall Colin Alexander kicking 40 odd goals in his first year in the late 80's as a forward pocket but didn't last long after that.

Andrew Tranquilli kicked 6 against the Eagles at the G in 93 or 95 I think - most of them on John Worsfold if memory serves.
It was 1994.

I had just turned 18 and went with my old man and some of his workmates. They decided to drink at a quip with a view to getting me pissed.

By the end of it I basically had to carry the old man home and the other blokes were a mess, one getting involved in a bizarre taxi incident. I was fine and went home for some fish and chips.

Top day, but the moral of the story is never try to outdrink any bloke between that age of 18 and 29 if you aren't within that band yourself.

Phillip Walsh

On the Andrew Tranquilli game, my mate and I decided after the game we would fly to QLD to watch the pies v bears the next week. Should be easy win, have fun on the coast for 3 or 4 days and come home. Someone forgot to tell the bears this and we got polaxed by about 10 goals with Matthew Clarke having about 800 hit outs! :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillip Walsh

On the Andrew Tranquilli game, my mate and I decided after the game we would fly to QLD to watch the pies v bears the next week. Should be easy win, have fun on the coast for 3 or 4 days and come home. Someone forgot to tell the bears this and we got polaxed by about 10 goals with Matthew Clarke having about 800 hit outs! :eek:
So we got smashed in the Ruck as usual against Brisbane:(

Phillip Walsh is the greatest example of a one season wonder at Collingwood. Played a blinding season - may have in fact won the rising star award or whatever it was called in those days - and immediately left to go to Richmond where his career immediately headed downhill. Frank Marchesani from Fitzroy did the same thing when he moved to Carlton after a blinding debut year and diasappeared without trace not long after.

Matty Lokan had it all - pace, skill, heart, courage, and a reasonably good football brain and an outstyanding work ethic. Sadly, though, he wasnt very good. I've never enjoyed watching an ordinary footballer as much as I enjoyed watching him play. Never shirked an issue.

Wes Fellowes came to Collingwood absolutely ripped after a huge preseason and won the Copeland in 1987. Soon after that (after the Seoul Olympics) the VFL started getting serious about steroid abuse and introduced some more stringent rules. Wes was never the same after that.

LOL........O sorry you were being serious then weren't you. :eek:
He is right though, McKee's stats went from pretty good to shit within 6 months. Basically like we had a different player.

i thought luke godden was gonna be a player, decent skills, strong body and very hard at it! he had a few good games and actually cemented his spot in the team for a while there but fell outta favour and never heard from again.

i thought luke godden was gonna be a player, decent skills, strong body and very hard at it! he had a few good games and actually cemented his spot in the team for a while there but fell outta favour and never heard from again.
He conceded 8 goals in a half to a carlton player whose name slips my mind.

Matt Clape?...otherwise i find it hard to believe as from memory only him, Kernahan and Fev have kicked more than 8 goals in a GAME for carlton in the last 15 years, let alone 8 in a half!

Matt Clape?...otherwise i find it hard to believe as from memory only him, Kernahan and Fev have kicked more than 8 goals in a GAME for carlton in the last 15 years, let alone 8 in a half!
Ill go looking for the game in mention but he got spanked that day in the back pocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies 1 Game or 1 Season Wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back