Ryan Gardner
Bailey dale

These guys have played VFL (or been omitted):

Pat lipinski
Josh Schache
Jackson Trengove
Toby McLean
Ed Richards

I love beveridge. He’s a special, special coach. But his selections in 2019 have been a complete debacle. Very hard to win when we’re on a knife’s edge as is.

Wouldn't be a problem if they earned their spot, but they clearly didn't. Hayes and Young were token selections after very average VFL performances. Dale and Smith weren't far behind in their VFL performances either. Gowers must have taken some compromising photos of Bevo whilst he was staying with Bevos family during his first pre-season. And Gardiner getting selected before even having a single training session with the AFL team pretty much sums up our match committee's decision making for the year.

All the while Lipinski was consistently performing in the VFL for weeks without a look in. And if Gardiner got picked because he kicked 4 goals in a VFL game, then what about Schache kicking 4 goals in an actual AFL game this season?

We managed to win the inside 50 count despite being smashed in centre clearances as one oft he youngest lists in the competition.

We're experience + a genuine medium forward away from being a finals side.
I really hope we have a succession plan for Lloyd & Brick as both were good for us tonight.
Brick? Dicko?

Complete list of V/AFL players with 25+ disposals, 50+ hitouts and 2+ goals in a game BRODIE GRUNDY - 2019 R14

This may have escaped some but Toby McLean didn't play VFL today which would lend some plausibility to the theory that hes been at less than full fitness in recent times.
If that is true, has Smith(or similar) been promoted on merit or out of necessity as injury cover and is McLeans ommission more loss of form due to injury rather than loss of form coz being played out of position so dont give a shit about the club anymore throwing a tanty and wanma be a traded to a blockbuster club ommission.

Need to fix our foot skills in general and that will help our goal kicking. If you can't put the ball to the advantage of your own player you won't kick at goal well.

Our forward line needs structure and continuity. Play Schache till year end. Our ball movement to our forwards needs a plan it needs structure at the moment it's appalling.

We won't attract a key forward solely on the fact we would kill their career. I would hate to be a forward in our side.

And some of the team selections this year are mind blowing. Choosing Gowers, Hayes etc ahead of Schache, Paddy etc has been costly.

Last edited:
Three bad things:
  • Missing easy set shots
  • Allowing Collingwood to break tackles that should have stuck
  • Not keeping our feet in the contest
Three good things
  • Great pressure and intensity throughout - we have to bring that every single week
  • Some exciting fast movement of the ball - who cares if the top sides don't do it? It may be the point of difference we need.
  • Three players returning from enforced stints in the VFL have come back as better players - Lipinski, Richards, Schache. Still works in progress but the signs are better. McLean may well be a better player than a few in today's side but MC might just be sending him a message.
52 more possessions, over 10 more inside 50's, I would rather get less ball and do more with it.

I thought English was quite a bit better* v Grundy than last time? [Wouldnt have been hard]

Seems as well as us regularly having shocking accuracy opponents Majakly regularly have above average accuracy?

*in ruck contests

Would love to hear from Lipinski about his reaction to his overextended stint in VFL. He’s definitely playing like he never wants to be there ever again. Could finish the season like Dunkley last year. Could be a good trade in for SuperCoach players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While the seasons been alive, Beveridge has played:

Hayes
Gowers
Lachie young
Roarke smith
Ryan Gardner
Bailey dale

These guys have played VFL (or been omitted):

Pat lipinski
Josh Schache
Jackson Trengove
Toby McLean
Ed Richards

I love beveridge. He’s a special, special coach. But his selections in 2019 have been a complete debacle. Very hard to win when we’re on a knife’s edge as is.
Do you have a theory as why this has happened, outside of clear cut tanking I cannot find another reason?

The ruck and goal-kicking situation must be as bad as any Club has ever had it in the AFL era. For our midfield to keep their spirits up, operating under such circumstances is commendable. There is strong spirit at the club. All is not imploding. However.....

Rough to be harsh on a guy with 40+ possession, but Macrae has to be better inside 50 and his delivery to the forward line. He’s been around long enough now to develop that side of his game. I feel bad writing this, as he also had 13 tackles. If he develops goal sense he would almost be a top 10 player in the comp, but he has to address it.

Whenever Hunter is involved in a chain of possession on transition, he always holds up the play due to his zero ability on the right.

Playing Gardner over Schache just bewilders me. He’s the only guy I trust kicking for goal.

We have to find a ruck and a KPP. Maybe if Ben Reid misses out during finals, we go at him? Grundy is a dog and we win that by 6 goals. It’s that simple. The ruck is killing us this year.

Macrae outright refusing to take the kick at goal in the 3 when he was clear and shaping onto his left side was a critical juncture in the game.

The fact of the matter is that the blame lays squarely at the feet of a midfield group that works its arse off through the middle of he ground but just squanders chance after chance of kicking goals because of a preference for either kicking short to contest's around the arc or trying to pinpoint the near impossible, which is invariably with a short kick. The only time they drive it long is when its clearly to advantage and one of our players has slipped forward of the ball. Just as we get most of our scoring opportunities by bursting off half back through the likes of JJ, Suckling or Crozier, there is a good reason that The Bont stands out like the proverbial's in our midfield. He is the only one of that group willing to kick the ball over any defensive line and to advantage of our forwards, the poor bastards.

Playing Gardner was as insane as it is playing the best second ruckman in the league at full back when you have Lewis Young in the VFL.

Clearly Bev is a smart coach but with some serious blind spots.

What’s the point of playing Dickson ffs. He is marginally 22 this year with a body marginally 40 next year.

Trengrove who is surely not a long term full back - he might be a medium term second Ruck particularly whilst English is still immature. But Le Young might well be a long term proposition at FB and I don’t see how he is behind Trengrove in the position right now.

And love him as you might - Bailey Smith needs games in the VFL - he simply doesn’t get it enough and a few dominant games at the lower level is what he desperately needs to progress.

I thought English was quite a bit better v Grundy than last time? [Wouldnt have been hard]

Seems as well as us regularly having shocking accuracy opponents Majakly regularly have above average accuracy?

Sides kick a lot of very easy goals from very easy positions against us. Takes a forward line like ours to miss from where most opposition goals are kicked from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cordy just can't judge the flight of the ball to save his life. I've been saying it ever since our 2016 finals run when Cordy(CHF) gave up 11 marks (10 intercepts) to Nick Haynes in the prelim and 9 marks (12 intercepts) vs Grundy in the GF. Although most were put down as contested marks in reality they were freebies because Cordy constantly misjudged the flight of the ball every time we bombed it in.

And it's been the same story since he's been moved down back. In fact it's been magnified since our defence requires us to play in front most of the time, so judging the flight of the ball correctly is as important than ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has some depth perception eyesight problems tbh.
Pretty decent point that and yep, I agree entirely.

Even more of the reason as to why he should just play tighter if he’s down back. Just give him an opponent to beat and go from there.

Grundy is the reason they have 8 points against us this year. Both games he killed us.
Here is a Complete list of V/AFL players with 25+ disposals, 50+ hitouts and 2+ goals in a game

BRODIE GRUNDY - 2019 R14

I’m more upbeat with that than the Carlton game.

I love Macrae but he has the worst case of Bulldog Syndrome I’ve ever seen. Faced with a short bad option and a long bad option he, along with most of our side, invariably goes short. Daniel and Hunter also require treatment. I’m all for a short pass when it’s on. But if you’re kicking to 50-50 why not put another 40 meters on your kick?

Sort that and kick straight and we will be in good shape.

What I'd give to see Hunter running towards the guy he's trying to kick the ball to instead of to the point the 50 joins the boundary line
Same thing l would give to see him use his non preferred side. Teams have worked him out so dont hard tag him. His kicking has no penetration and his handballs are floaters. Also be good is he could run when defending. Along with Wood and Cordy l beleive the 3 most overated people in the side.

Playing Gardner was as insane as it is playing the best second ruckman in the league at full back when you have Lewis Young in the VFL.

Clearly Bev is a smart coach but with some serious blind spots.

What’s the point of playing Dickson ffs. He is marginally 22 this year with a body marginally 40 next year.

Trengrove who is surely not a long term full back - he might be a medium term second Ruck particularly whilst English is still immature. But Le Young might well be a long term proposition at FB and I don’t see how he is behind Trengrove in the position right now.

And love him as you might - Bailey Smith needs games in the VFL - he simply doesn’t get it enough and a few dominant games at the lower level is what he desperately needs to progress.
If theres anytime to play baz in the ones it's now. Granted he was poor but he needs that extra mid time to progress his footy. We take the good with the bad and we all agree the bloke never gives up and the more footy we get into him the quicker the superstar we know he is will arrive

A couple of observations
- we have too many one paced players, desperately need some leg speed.
- Hunter in transitions always slows us up. He needs to be an inside player. Doesn't hurt when he is outside
- lipinski needs to find some pace if he want to be elite....has potential
- Trengove has to play ruck at some point
- desperately need a crumbing forward
- worst set shot team in the history of our club

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Pies 82 def Dogs 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back