News Pies to build stronger connections: Buckley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heath Shaw on twitter
heathshaw39: New city, new club, new number and now to be named co VC of the @GWS_Giants definately the icing on the fat free low calorie cake #skinfolds
If the hash tag is a snipe at Bucks, he has learnt nothing. This is the type of shit Bucks put up with over the two years.
#pissoffshaw #eatshit.
Look closer people, Nathan stinks! Clearly a swipe at bucks.

I heard from a good source that the club culture has improved drmatically from last season, the departure of daisy has improved things as he was apparently having a negative impact on some players. This surprises my as I would of thought Shaw would be more likely to cause an issue however my source tells me otherwise.

He also mentioned the club is in a much better place internally this year than last and the club will give it a serious flag tilt this year.

Think your being way too harsh there. Shaw is a guy who makes lots of jokes, he has always struggled with skin folds, not an attack on bucks at all.
Maybe Blaze but he has form. He's the type of kid who you'd speak to about their behaviour, think that it had sunk in and then as he's walking off, would make a joke of it. I'm pretty sure players are instructed not to make comments about selections issues but he couldn't help himself when Dids came up in an interview. Petulant attitude.
So I wouldn't be surprised if it was a swipe. Hope I'm wrong.

One would hope any player on the list is replacable after a few bad games...Pendlebury Swan and Cloke probably the only exceptions, as they are proven guns and could be expected to work through a bad patch in the seniors.

Do you think next time we play the Suns that Ben Kennedy should tag Ablett?

I never said Ben Kennedy would play the same role in the team as Caff. If Caff is out we go without a tagger no big deal.

Both Caff and BenKen played very well last night. They both seem much leaner but stronger and they both ran well all night

Best in the AFL era? I'd pay double for Andrew McCloud.

I think this comment shows you have an over-inflated opinion of the list in 2011. Yes it was very dominant in early to mid 2011 but by the end of that year it was showing signs of decline. The last round and finals campaign show that. Other teams with comparable or better list and better runs with injury simply went past us in 2012.

Leon's 2011 was superior to anything Mcloud ever did as a defender.

People really need to relax about the whole 2011 and 2012 thing. People seem to think that every single problem is simply the coaches fault and we should have won 4 flags in a row if we kept MM. We don't know what would have happened. But I can tell you flags are hard to win. I doubt Port, Swans or Eagles fans look back on their recent flags and instead of being happy complain they didn't win the next year.

Just enjoy the fact that we WON a flag instead of focusing that we lost. Football is more complex than coaches. Everything needs to align for a flag to be won, and multiple things can cause a season to not go well. Between injuries, different game plan and players having a negative influence (which may or may not have been anything to do with buckley, it appears Dale was determined to hate bucks no matter what he did) caused the season to end badly.

We, as supporters, need to move on just like the players do. Who cares what MM is doing at Carlton. Talk about the rivalry and the history when we play them but lets leave it for then. The Pies have the third youngest list, played our VFL side against an almost full strength cats in geelong and played great. Lots of future potential, lots of things to be happy about.

I found myself more excited now than I have been since 2010. I love the building of lists, to see player progress and a team build. What we are building looks amazing, and to have such young players play finals, experience big matches is great for the future. The pressure of "Win a flag or fail" is gone and I am happy it is. I couldn't enjoy my football, every match the win was "not good enough" and players "didn't try hard enough". I only saw negatives. Now I am seeing football in positives again!

Lets look forward to the fantastic list we are building, not the players and chances lost.

Whoa Charlie.

I'd take the 2 norm smith medal performances alone for Leons' entire career in a heart beat. Crazy stuff to suggest otherwise.

Why are we dicussing Leon again?

Whoa Charlie.

I'd take the 2 norm smith medal performances alone for Leons' entire career in a heart beat. Crazy stuff to suggest otherwise.

Why are we dicussing Leon again?
And he did that as a defender did he? And even so, the NS is one game.

People really need to relax about the whole 2011 and 2012 thing. People seem to think that every single problem is simply the coaches fault and we should have won 4 flags in a row if we kept MM. We don't know what would have happened. But I can tell you flags are hard to win. I doubt Port, Swans or Eagles fans look back on their recent flags and instead of being happy complain they didn't win the next year.

Just enjoy the fact that we WON a flag instead of focusing that we lost. Football is more complex than coaches. Everything needs to align for a flag to be won, and multiple things can cause a season to not go well. Between injuries, different game plan and players having a negative influence (which may or may not have been anything to do with buckley, it appears Dale was determined to hate bucks no matter what he did) caused the season to end badly.

We, as supporters, need to move on just like the players do. Who cares what MM is doing at Carlton. Talk about the rivalry and the history when we play them but lets leave it for then. The Pies have the third youngest list, played our VFL side against an almost full strength cats in geelong and played great. Lots of future potential, lots of things to be happy about.

I found myself more excited now than I have been since 2010. I love the building of lists, to see player progress and a team build. What we are building looks amazing, and to have such young players play finals, experience big matches is great for the future. The pressure of "Win a flag or fail" is gone and I am happy it is. I couldn't enjoy my football, every match the win was "not good enough" and players "didn't try hard enough". I only saw negatives. Now I am seeing football in positives again!

Lets look forward to the fantastic list we are building, not the players and chances lost.

Woohoo. That makes sense to me.

Actually 2 games. He did it twice in the biggest game of the year that was a major contribution to his team winning 2 flags.

Surely you're just taking the piss now........surely:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew McClioud's record over his whole career including as a defender was superior each and every year than Leon's. That is not a criticism of Leon, just an acknowledgment of how good McCloud was. You seem to have fixated on a 12 month period from the middle of 2010 to the middle of 2011 went we were at our absolute best and think this was how it should have been for the next two or three years. You have picked a purple patch in Leon's form and made him into the best defender of the AFL era.

AFL is one of the most ruthless competitions in the world with different mechanisms (draft, draw and salary cap) to ensure no team can dominate for long. Only in exception circumstances will teams dominate over an extend period of time (Brisbane with merger, Cats with excellent Fathers Sons obtained on the cheap, long periods at the bottom collecting high draft picks).

The reality is our list of 2010/11 was not good enough to dominate over a number of years. It is nobodies fault, it is just a fact. We had a great 12 to eighteen months where we were the absolute best. Rejoice in it but accept that it was a point in time and other teams with good lists went past us.

I see what you are doing there. You have made the comparison of Leon to Mcloud, then added the "as a defender" comment as a get out clause to validate your opinion. In reality most people would take a 2 time Norm Smith medal winning champion of the game, compared to the bloke who's finals performances were so bad he actually got dropped for a Grand Final. Because Mcleod spent a large portion of time in the midfield instead of defence, you have used that to diminish his playing ability. It is the equivalent of saying Lance Franklin's 2013 was superior to anything Matthew Scarlett did as a forward.

Actually 2 games. He did it twice in the biggest game of the year that was a major contribution to his team winning 2 flags.

Surely you're just taking the piss now........surely:confused:
I suggest you actually watch how good Leon was in 2011, he had the AA in the bag mid year, he embarrassed the vast majority of his opponents, he didn't just beat them, as a man on man defender during 2011 he was as good as I've ever seen, add to that his near perfect kick out %.

Macleod never had a year like Leon as a defender., I suggest you open your eyes.

I see what you are doing there. You have made the comparison of Leon to Mcloud, then added the "as a defender" comment as a get out clause to validate your opinion. In reality most people would take a 2 time Norm Smith medal winning champion of the game, compared to the bloke who's finals performances were so bad he actually got dropped for a Grand Final. Because Mcleod spent a large portion of time in the midfield instead of defence, you have used that to diminish his playing ability. It is the equivalent of saying Lance Franklin's 2013 was superior to anything Matthew Scarlett did as a forward.

You must be seeing things, I never made the comparison, McLeod clearly had the better career and will clearly go down as the better player, and rightly so, alls I'm saying is McLeod (IMO) never had a better year that Leon's 2011 as a defender.

Maybe you need glasses?

FTR, I don't think clement had a better year either.

I suggest you actually watch how good Leon was in 2011, he had the AA in the bag mid year, he embarrassed the vast majority of his opponents, he didn't just beat them, as a man on man defender during 2011 he was as good as I've ever seen, add to that his near perfect kick out %.

Macleod never had a year like Leon as a defender., I suggest you open your eyes.

Why are you comparing Leon to Mcloud?

I've read the thread but still don't understand the comparison. Perhaps you could explain?
It's because his longing for Mick will never cease. If Mick remained coach in 2012, Leon would have stayed. We should have offered Leon whatever $ he wanted because his 2011 season was the greatest of all time. This is despite almost losing Toovey and Macaffer at the end of 2011 due to our tight salary cap. Also not factored in is that Leon was overpaid for the three years preceding his retirement. However, if Leon stayed and Mick slightly tweaked his obsolete game plan we would have won the 2012 flag, regardless of the key injuries we sustained throughout the season. Oh, and I forgot to mention Leon had a fairly ordinary 2011 grand final, Varcoe made him look silly, despite what the stats say.

I've read the thread but still don't understand the comparison. Perhaps you could explain?

I never made the comparison mate, all's I said is Leon's 2011 as a defender was the best I've seen, someone else compared McLeod to Leon, each to their own though.

I've seen a heap of footy and IMO I've never seen a small defender have the influence Leon had in 2011, Wanganeen included, Leon was superb as a pure defender, he ran off, his disposal was simply sublime, I just wish he got the recognition he deserved.

I never made the comparison mate, all's I said is Leon's 2011 as a defender was the best I've seen, someone else compared McLeod to Leon, each to their own though.

I've seen a heap of footy and IMO I've never seen a small defender have the influence Leon had in 2011, Wanganeen included, Leon defender superbly, he ran off, his disposal was simply sublime, I just wish he got the recognition he deserved.

Leon had a tremendous season in 2011 and I think at least internally he is very well regarded. Whilst he may be slightly embarrassed by his 2010 premiership medallion it was well deserved. He wil be a very deserving receipient of life membership.

It's because his longing for Mick will never cease. If Mick remained coach in 2012, Leon would have stayed. We should have offered Leon whatever $ he wanted because his 2011 season was the greatest of all time. This is despite almost losing Toovey and Macaffer at the end of 2011 due to our tight salary cap. Also not factored in is that Leon was overpaid for the three years preceding his retirement. However, if Leon stayed and Mick slightly tweaked his obsolete game plan we would have won the 2012 flag, regardless of the key injuries we sustained throughout the season. Oh, and I forgot to mention Leon had a fairly ordinary 2011 grand final, Varcoe made him look silly, despite what the stats say.

Damn, I thought Leon achieved AA honours after one year as a backman, do you want to know a secret? Toovs or Caff will never make AA, and who knows, maybe, just maybe a second year as a defender may have actually improved Leon, I know that's a big call though.

Go back to whining why you were banned on the feedback board bro.

Leon had a tremendous season in 2011 and I think at least internally he is very well regarded. Whilst he may be slightly embarrassed by his 2010 premiership medallion it was well deserved. He wil be a very deserving receipient of life membership.

I just wish he was externally regarded by Collingwood fans, obviously he isn't, you don't dump AAs for a hundred K or so, especially ones who made AA in their first year in a new craft.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Pies to build stronger connections: Buckley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back