Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

• We desperately lack pace, Essendon's quick mids and forwards exposed us
  • Losing Howe for Scharenberg compounded this and we were never winning that game without our 2 most important bookends
  • For a side lacking leg speed and one smashed in the stoppages by Hawthorn we don't play to our strengths, Wills should have played
  • Our centre bounce structures are madness, first half we played 5 forwards and started the spare on the defensive side of the centre square, 3rd quarter we played our best footy with 4 forwards and our 2 spares on each wing, 4th quarter still 4 forwards but we chuck our 2 spares back to defensive side of the centre square with Essendon replicating our 3rd quarter structure
  • We also need to reassess our starting centre square combinations. At times Sidebottom and Smith were inside the square at the same bounce and we lacked an aggressive extractor. Despite clearly winning the ruck hitout we subsequently lost the clearance. One or two of DeGoey, Wills, Adams or Greenwood need to be inside the square at each bounce
  • Reid battled hard, but he doesn't have confidence in his game currently to play forward, Keeffe would have been the better option
  • Greenwood probably goes for his square up after he copped an elbow to the back earlier in the game, but the umps should leave that to the match review/tribunal instead of making him an invisible man and permitting cheap shots like Hurley throwing him into the fence
  • Fantasia is the new Lindsay Thomas except he throws himself forward in the tackle instead of ducking
  • We failed to capitalise on our start with errant goal kicking and mishandling the footy
  • Having our shots from 35-50m instead of 20-35m doesn't help and we should step up better for deeper forward targets
  • In the second half Essendon adjusted to Goldsack playing in front of Daniher along with more pace by kicking on/over Goldsack's head, it's how we should deliver to Cox

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry to intrude, but I've lived and experienced what you guys are currently going through only 12 months ago, and all I can say is, things CAN turn around fast when the senior coach stops being so pig-headed about his style of play, and embraces change. For mine, Nathan Buckley is probably almost EXACTLY where Dimma was this time last year in terms of his headspace.

I've said since about Round 3 or 4 (whenever it was that we played you), that Collingwood 2017 has a very "Richmond 2016" feel about them, in the sense that there are actually a number of positive signs at times with certain players, certain parts of matches, and certain whole matches even, but that the package as a whole, over a 22 week season, just isn't there for whatever reason, and those reasons are seemingly intangible.

The only concern to have with Buckley is that, unlike Dimma, he's never taken his OWN side to finals. He took Mick's side to a Prelim in 2012 and an Elim in 2013, but since 2014 when it's been largely his team, he hasn't been able to improve you.

HOWEVER, with that said, he's put the building blocks into place for an elite midfield, and aside from maybe an elite KPD, you have some young potential superstars in your spine, such as Moore, Grundy, etc. I honestly don't think you guys are as far away from being a Top 8 side as you think.

Richmond finished 8-14 last year, and 13th on the table, and mid-way through the year Dimma said he had the most talent he's ever had on the list, and was ridiculed and mocked for that thought. And now we're a Top 4 contender not 12 months on.

I see a potentially similar path for Collingwood if they persist with Buckley and give him another 2 years, because you guys are honestly not that bad, just lacking form and confidence. Your best football is very capable of beating some good sides, and when there's that capability there, you at least have something to work with.

Good luck for the rest of the year!
Are you my wife? This is exactly the conversation I had with her stinky Richmond supporting self this morning!

Crisp in particular, Elliott, WHE, Fasolo, Grundy all had a crack and some impact.
Goldsack and Dunn tried hard. Battlers, but fought it out
Broomhead some more incremental improvement, I guess.
Scharenberg no great shakes, but should be retained, see if he can improve with continuity.
Treloar groin cooked? Sheepdog today, was very happy staying outside, had no run.

Last edited:
Didn't see the game as I couldn't find a decent free stream but it seems Fasolo and Elliott both did there job as small marking forwards.

Fasolo has actually had a decent year and if he kicked straighter early on it could have been a great one.

Hopefully Kirby, Elliott and Fasolo get a chance to play together before the year is out.

Are you my wife? This is exactly the conversation I had with her stinky Richmond supporting self this morning!

It's a truth any Tiger fan will tell you haha! :tearsofjoy:

We have done 2/5's of SFA yet ourselves though, to be fair.

But still, we're playing solid footy this year, and imo there's no reason why Collingwood can't click and make that happen sooner rather than later too. It's obviously not going to be your year in 2017, but I could see a turnaround in 2018... however if you sack Bucks, the full rebuild DOES begin, which I'm sure there are many who would like that (just as there were many on the Richmond board who wanted that last year for our 2017).

The senior coach is the main man for list management.
He has more say than anyone else to make a final decision.

Hine and co. may make suggestions and want to go a certain way but if the coach wants a certain player or type pf player, he gets it.
You have it arse about.

Derek Hine's title is General Manager of List Management....that might give you a bit of a hint as to who is in charge of list management at Collingwood.

Oh please

Lol. Not excusing all the clangers. If he's playing with injections as McGuane did, he can lose feeling in his leg.

I've signed off for this year, not trying to defend this pathetic side.

I'm not even mad or upset just apathetic. I'm sure many of you feel the same. Just numb.
hear ya brother
didnt watch Anzac Day
Passed up super box tickets ,free piss food and whatever else today
cant handle the umpiring,cant handle our mojo , sick of watching overpaid , lazy , stupid boys masquerading as Collingwood warriors being played out of position, giving zip and picking up how much
$4k a game LOL

Time to start playing Kirby and brown. I don't see a future in some of our players to take us back up the ladder.
no time to stack the vfl win the flag ,thus creating a winning feeling again and delivering the last leg of my super multi
why stuff up good talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crisp in particular, Elliott, WHE, Fasolo, Grundy all had a crack and some impact.
Goldsack and Dunn tried hard. Battlers, but fought it out
Broomhead some more incremental improvement, I guess.
Scharenberg no great shakes, but should be retained, see if he can improve with continuity.
Treloar groin cooked? Sheepdog today was very happy staying outside, had no run.

My head will explode if I read another comment along these lines! How many games do you need before you can acknowledge the bleeding obvious? He is as slow as a bloody wet week and a liability in defense or anywhere else we care to play him. He picks up cheap possessions from little side way kicks and this "elite " kick could not keep the pill inside the boundary under no pressure when attempting to hit up a teammate 20 metres away.

Just got back from a medieval festival watching jousting and drinking mead and mingling with revolting peasants. Its a 2 day festival but I wanted to go today so I wouldn't be able to watch the game and have it completely f$&kin ruin my weekend as usual. I didn't take my phone.. no updates.. get home and think.. I wonder what happened.. could be in for a Pleasant surprise I think to meself.. let's have a peak on the old internet's...

:huh::eek::oops:
:(:(:(:(
:mad::mad::mad::huh:

Turns out it was great planning.

I'll comfort myself tonight that we'll be getting a quality tall forward prospect in this years draft.

Of course Hine has to select one first.

Err okay I'll have a nightmare tonight he doesn't.

Berg with 20 disposals, 7 marks , 0 tackles, 0 injuries, 9th game of AFL football....thumbs up.
You are joking aren't you? He was so poor it was excruciating. Langdon stuffs up and drives me mad but he wins contested ball and applies defensive pressure and takes contested marks. Shaz floats around like a butterfly calling for cheap possessions out the back or sideways and sadly he got a few today. Those stats are meaningless.

Didn't see the game as I couldn't find a decent free stream but it seems Fasolo and Elliott both did there job as small marking forwards.

Fasolo has actually had a decent year and if he kicked straighter early on it could have been a great one.

Hopefully Kirby, Elliott and Fasolo get a chance to play together before the year is out.
Fasolo was predominantly against Hurley and Elliott against Baguley. Although in and out of the match both had reasonable games with Elliott in particular looking dangerous, he wouldn't have had huge numbers, but alongside this were more than a few creative knock ons in congestion.

My head will explode if I read another comment along these lines! How many games do you need before you can acknowledge the bleeding obvious? He is as slow as a bloody wet week and a liability in defense or anywhere else we care to play him. He picks up cheap possessions from little side way kicks and this "elite " kick could not keep the pill inside the boundary under no pressure when attempting to hit up a teammate 20 metres away.

Fair enough, just think there's more to be gained by giving these kids a sustained run at it so we can make informed decisions on them moving forward. We're going nowhere anyway.
No point going back to the well and continually recycling known spuds in preference.

Hi kicking isn't great I've noticed. Is that an area he was supposedly good at pre draft?
I'd say it's a confidence thing and adjusting to senior level. He's a neat kick in the twos.

Fasolo was predominantly against Hurley and Elliott against Baguley. Although in and out of the match both had reasonable games with Elliott in particular looking dangerous, he wouldn't have had huge numbers, but alongside this were more than a few creative knock ons in congestion.

Thanks for that.

If Kirby can make it at the next level next season then he, Fasolo and Elliott will give us a trio of very dangerous small forwards and something for a new coach to work with.

Am I being harsh? WHE has given us very little this year. I thought he was a gun with all the hype surrounding his arrival at the club? Unless I'm missing something he is a league player at best. Another battler on our list.
  • He has no impact on games,
  • He doesn't like the hard ball,
  • He can't tackle, can't remember one that has stuck.
  • Has no pace whatsoever. Conceded the mother of all tackles against the blues earlier in the year.
  • Can't take a pack mark.
Disagree. WHE has supplied just what I expected-good outside run and some pace. He has been okay all year and in a good side would be a very good player.
There are plenty of players I would be putting a red line through long before I considered axing Hoskin Elliot.

Disagree. WHE has supplied just what I expected-good outside run and some pace. He has been okay all year and in a good side would be a very good player.
There are plenty of players I would be putting a red line through long before I considered axing Hoskin Elliot.

Agree. He can actually Kick

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back