Autopsy Pies v Kuwarna (Crows) - AFL Rd 10, 2024 - Sat May 18TH 1:45PM (M.C.G.)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The question was 'When was the last time a contentious umpire call went against a Vic club that sealed or cost them a game'.

I'll wait.
It wasn’t even contentious, the guy ran nearly 25m without bouncing the ball, it’s not like this was a marginal call 😂

Okay, here’s your answer:

People are arguing because the umpire gave the ball back to Collingwood by paying a free that isn’t normally paid. In isolation it’s a bitter pill to swallow. In the broader context of Collingwood’s close wins this year and last year, it’s part of a pattern of the umpires deciding they want Collingwood to win.
What incentive have the Umpires got in deciding Coll MUST Win?

So you are advocating the past MISTAKES needed to be repeated!!!!
Any sensible person would have acknowledged the correct decison.
So youre suggesting all future examples will be called then yeah.
Now that the correct interpretation has been re-established I mean?

There are 1141 posts on the video "Did Rankine run too far?" about 50% say yes and about 50% say no.

That is the very definition of marginal. No one is arguing that he didn't run more than 15 metres. In the same way some 50 metre penalties are 40 metres and some are 60 metres.
No it’s not, it’s just proof that 50% of supporters don’t understand the rules 😂

So youre suggesting all future examples will be called then yeah.
Now that the correct interpretation has been re-established I mean?
At a time when Umps are getting bagged constantly for poor decisons, its ironic you want to also bag them for getting a decision right.
It's just a level of saltiness that makes you look petty and unhinged.

So we’ve gone from Adelaide supporters saying the ump got it wrong, to they should have put the whistle away because of the time left, and now we have this amazing perspective of oh it’s the vibe. Amazing.

Outside of that pearler, if you’re going by what the commentators think, then clearly you were up in arms a few minutes earlier when Keane was tackled in the pies forward 50 and threw the ball but wasn’t penalised? Because the commentators all said he got away with one there, and clearly what they say is right all the time according to your post?

Read what I said.

Are you telling me that you think umpires are actually counting steps or mentally measuring the distance a player has run?

How many metres do you reckon Daicos ran here?

Then compare it to Rankine’s:

Point is that running too far is almost never paid for a run that far. I could pull up countless examples of this. So yeah, I do think umpires “just vibe it”.

The AFL can’t pretend that they want umpires to adjudicate this rule strictly while also having a video up celebrating Daicos doing the exact same thing.

Btw I agree that was holding the ball, but again, could show you 100 examples of players doing similar and not being called for it.

Read what I said.

Are you telling me that you think umpires are actually counting steps or mentally measuring the distance a player has run?

He took 9 steps after regaining possession of the ball, so at an average of let’s say 1.5-1.7m per stride, you’d be looking at somewhere between 13.5-15.3m. At the absolute worst he’s run 30cm too far, but the likelihood is that he’s within the 15m threshold, unlike Rankine who’s over a full 9m past the legal threshold. Thanks for the good comparison.
Point is that running too far is almost never paid for a run that far. I could pull up countless examples of this. So yeah, I do think umpires “just vibe it”.

The AFL can’t pretend that they want umpires to adjudicate this rule strictly while also having a video up celebrating Daicos doing the exact same thing.

Btw I agree that was holding the ball, but again, could show you 100 examples of players doing similar and not being called for it.
I don’t think you could find many examples of players running almost 25m and not getting called tbh, let alone 100. You could probably find a lot between 15-20m, which are obviously a lot harder for an umpire to judge.

It’s a rule that’s really only enforced when a player has blatantly run way too far, and in this case Rankine had clearly done so in running almost twice the allowed distance without bouncing. It’s time to stop complaining and move on.

He took 9 steps after regaining possession of the ball, so at an average of let’s say 1.5-1.7m per stride, you’d be looking at somewhere between 13.5-15.3m. At the absolute worst he’s run 30cm too far, but the likelihood is that he’s within the 15m threshold, unlike Rankine who’s over a full 9m past the legal threshold. Thanks for the good comparison.

I don’t think you could find many examples of players running almost 25m and not getting called tbh, let alone 100. You could probably find a lot between 15-20m, which are obviously a lot harder for an umpire to judge.

It’s a rule that’s really only enforced when a player has blatantly run way too far, and in this case Rankine had clearly done so in running almost twice the allowed distance without bouncing. It’s time to stop complaining and move on.

I count 13 steps which would put him at a 19.5 conservatively, but I get your point about the 15-20m distance.

I reckon I could, just off the top of my head there’s these two:

Both of which are on the AFL’s YouTube page suggesting there pretty happy with that adjudication.

Btw, Collingwood deserved to win. Yet again, they managed the situation of the game better than us. We also more than likely would not have scored a goal from that inside 50 so by no means did the decision rob us or cost us the game.

However, put yourself in our shoes. We missed finals by a bees dick last year. In that season we had two calls in the final minute that the AFL admitted should have gone our way. One would have given one of our best kicks a short from 40m out straight in front after the siren. The other would have put us up with 40 seconds to go. This season we have already had the AFL admit we should have been paid a free kick which would have given one of our other better kicks a short from 20m out on a slight angle after the siren to win.

That brings us to yesterday, win and we go 4-1-5 and have three of the bottom four to play and every chance of going 7-1-5 with half a season to play. So given all that, when a free kick that is almost never paid, and we’ve seen way worse let go, suddenly gets paid against us with 15 seconds to go, it’s more than fair that we’re gonna be angry. Sport is emotional.

I acknowledge that a lot of this is simply because our team is not good enough, but go look at our board, there are plenty of rants about that too. We’re not running around acting like we’d be premiers if it weren’t for those pesky umpires.

Okay, here’s your answer:

People are arguing because the umpire gave the ball back to Collingwood by paying a free that isn’t normally paid. In isolation it’s a bitter pill to swallow. In the broader context of Collingwood’s close wins this year and last year, it’s part of a pattern of the umpires deciding they want Collingwood to win.

Elliot's mark was inbounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read what I said.

Centre square is 50m long. 4 mowed sections inside that centre square so 12.5m each. Daicos gathered basically on the edge of 1 strip and kicked just outside it.

Read what I said.

If anyone actually thinks an umpire counts steps or measures how far a player has ran - they're off their nut.

It would be impossible for a human being to do that.

Of course they vibe it.

The question was 'When was the last time a contentious umpire call went against a Vic club that sealed or cost them a game'.

I'll wait.

9 May, Geelong denied a goal to Cameron against Port. The VIC Bias shit gets boring real quick. Sydney had two players allowed to play in GF when they shouldn't have.

You seem to cry a lot about umpires and decisions, even when they are right ones.
Was just wondering is all.
Cry about it?

I think you're mistaking crying for contributing to a thread on a football forum.

I contribute to plenty of threads, and comment on heaps of things.

I'm unsure why you would think I'd start a thread about Too Far frees?

Cry about it?

I think you're mistaking crying for contributing to a thread on a football forum.

I contribute to plenty of threads, and comment on heaps of things.

I'm unsure why you would think I'd start a thread about Too Far frees?
I do see you in a heap of threads, usually having a sook about something?

The reason I asked is, you don't follow either side, yet have many posts in this thread about a free kick that was deemed correct.
Ok, if you came in said you didn't like it and left, no-one would care, but you have argued and argued about it.

So if it happens again shortly, I was wondering if the volcano would erupt.

I do see you in a heap of threads, usually having a sook about something?

The reason I asked is, you don't follow either side, yet have many posts in this thread about a free kick that was deemed correct.
Ok, if you came in said you didn't like it and left, no-one would care, but you have argued and argued about it.

So if it happens again shortly, I was wondering if the volcano would erupt.
Again, I'm not sure if a footy forum is the right place for you.

It's a place dedicated solely to discussing footy. You post opinions and thoughts, and If someone asks you something, you respond. Responding to numerous questions or to people with differing views is not an indication of anything other than a normal discussion about football. It certainly doesn't indicate anything remotely close to a 'volcano erupting'. Whilst I have an interest in many sports, I don't have the passion for AFL footy to erupt about anything.

If this concept bothers you, I'd really suggest you stop hanging out on BigFooty. It's literally what it's here for.

There are 1141 posts on the video "Did Rankine run too far?" about 50% say yes and about 50% say no.

That is the very definition of marginal. No one is arguing that he didn't run more than 15 metres. In the same way some 50 metre penalties are 40 metres and some are 60 metres.
The first paragraph is just bs.

He ran to far.... its a proven fact. Most have acknowledged it.

Then you say no one is arguing that he didn't run to far. What?? You just contradicted your last paragraph. Then you say something meaningless about 50 metre penalties that makes no sense.

Again, I'm not sure if a footy forum is the right place for you.

It's a place dedicated solely to discussing footy. You post opinions and thoughts , and If someone asks you something, you respond. Responding to numerous questions or to people with differing views is not an indication of anything that a normal discussion about football. It certainly doesn't necessarily indicate anything remotely close to a 'volcano erupting'. Whilst I have an interest in many sports, I don't have the passion for AFL footy to erupt about anything.

If this concept bothers you, I'd really suggest you stop hanging out on BigFooty. It's literally what it's here for.
And here you are many hrs later, continuing to argue the point with me.

Just a no would have been enough, you won't start a thread, good for you.

I could care less about your opinion on the matter any more, so I will leave it at that.

Have a nice day

Back