List Mgmt. 'Play hardball': Mitch Robinson urges the Suns to re-draft Jack Martin

Should Gold Coast make a stand and re-draft Jack Martin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If he is so bad, why is your club going to pay him over 600k for 5 years?

Its called Creatively accounting so we get him for free without giving up any valuable trade assets..If your club was in a similar position, you would have supported the same course of action that Carlton have taken.

It's a cut throat business these days, clubs cannot afford to take pity on clubs like the Suns, especially when the AFL are bailing them out with their rescue package..

It also gives the PSD some much need relevance again, which I think the AFL would be pleased about.

So Martin has just named his price. Over 3mil for 5 years.

Now tell me blues fans. Is a player worth paying that much for that long worth less than a 6 pick downgrade?

That’s about the 7th time you’ve mentioned the offer of a 6 pick downgrade as fact.

It never happened and we probably would’ve accepted had that been the offer.

Getting him for free at 600k is a master stroke, considering the Dogs offered more and he said no to going home on similar deals.

If he is so bad, why is your club going to pay him over 600k for 5 years?
It’s a contract based on potential and it also relates to Carlton’s cap situation. I’m no cap expert but from memory you have to fill a certain percentage of the cap so Martin would clearly be benefitting from that.

Plus everyone carries on about 600k supposedly being this giant amount but nobody actually knows that the typical AFL contract is.

Its called Creatively accounting so we get him for free without giving up any valuable trade assets..If your club was in a similar position, you would have supported the same course of action that Carlton have taken.

It's a cut throat business these days, clubs cannot afford to take pity on clubs like the Suns, especially when the AFL are bailing them out with their rescue package..

It also gives the PSD some much need relevance again, which I think the AFL would be pleased about.
Creative accounting means paying over 600k for 5 years to a player who you claim is so bad as to not be worth a 6 pick downgrade because he was playing reserves for the worst team in the league?

Being Carlton I'm assuming the creative bit is to creatively take some whiteout to the contract afterwards and take the 6 off the number and hope nobody including Martin notices.

No one has been jealous of Carlton since 1995.

Wouldn't say jealous myself, bitter is the more likely term.

If North Melbourne or St Kilda pulled a similar stunt to what we have with Martin, would anyone here be as upset/emotional over the issue ?

It’s a contract based on potential and it also relates to Carlton’s cap situation. I’m no cap expert but from memory you have to fill a certain percentage of the cap so Martin would clearly be benefitting from that.

Plus everyone carries on about 600k supposedly being this giant amount but nobody actually knows that the typical AFL contract is.
Actually we do, it's about 370k. It's pretty widely reported.

That’s about the 7th time you’ve mentioned the offer of a 6 pick downgrade as fact.

It never happened and we probably would’ve accepted had that been the offer.

Getting him for free at 600k is a master stroke, considering the Dogs offered more and he said no to going home on similar deals.
It did happen, it was pretty widely reported.

If you really say yes (that a 600k 5 year player is worth less than a 6 pick downgrade), then you are either so one eyes that your opinion means nothing, or so clueless that your opinion means nothing.

I'll let you pick which one.
I didn't give you the answer you wanted so i am clueless. You still at primary school?

Creative accounting means paying over 600k for 5 years to a player who you claim is so bad as to not be worth a 6 pick downgrade because he was playing reserves for the worst team in the league?

Being Carlton I'm assuming the creative bit is to creatively take some whiteout to the contract afterwards and take the 6 off the number and hope nobody including Martin notices.
You can crap on all you like about six pick down grades but from all reports the draft gets much weaker after the top 10. The club I’m sure has a player or two in the top ten they want.

If the choice is between giving up a top 10 pick and taking a gamble contractually on Martin, I’m taking the gamble every day of the week.
Actually we do, it's about 370k. It's pretty widely reported.
Again it’s still guess work. We don’t have a clear idea what similar level players to Martin are earning a year.

Journos have some idea but they’re not seeing each players contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the mental and reality bending gymnastics by Carlton supporters in this thread are astounding. All clubs have their one eyes players but this goes beyond even the numbnuts who try to package up 4 uncontacted fringe players for pick 1 because it's "a 4 for 1 good deal that gives the team depth".

Some of the mental and reality bending gymnastics by Carlton supporters in this thread are astounding. All clubs have their one eyes players but this goes beyond even the numbnuts who try to package up 4 uncontacted fringe players for pick 1 because it's "a 4 for 1 good deal that gives the team depth".
The only thing that is astounding is how little idea you have.

Much rather keep a top 10 pick and get a risky player for nothing in the pre season draft.

Trading away a top 10 pick and taking a financial gamble vs taking a financial gamble.

Gee I wonder what I would rather.

It’s not surprising though. Carlton can’t do a single thing right in the eyes of opposition fans on Bigfooty. If we traded for Martin you’d all be in a thread bagging Silvagni for caving to ridiculous demands by Gold Coast.

SOS is a complete amatuer.

Stephen Wells: "We can't really see a Kelly trade getting done"
2 weeks later "It would've been a miracle if we kept him"

Absolute master
The Kelly trade that originally failed and took over 12 months to complete is your example about how awesome Wells is? That’s comedy gold right there and it’s even more amusing that you are in awe about a guy talking shit to the media, I didn’t think anyone would take any note of that but there you go.

Lmao youre so angry we getting Martin for free. Keep crying hahahaha

I think the mental gymnastics displayed by Richmond folk with a heavy bias against Carlton is far greater. You are all in a fantasy, dreaming of a humiliating outcome for Carlton. Trying to change actual trade values acknowledged by the GC list manager to push an agenda. If Martin continues his current stance, there is no way a club will recruit someone that doesn’t want to be there, irrespective of how much Richmond supporters fantasise about such a scenario.

Another poster with no idea.

This isn’t free agency compensation we are talking about here.

He’s being offered a contract with massive overs because Carlton has a lot of cap room and are in desperate need of mature players.

By your logic no player offered a substantial contract would ever get traded because the club losing the player would never get a fair deal. The Cats would never have gotten Dangerfield.

He isn’t worth 600k as it stands. It’s a gamble by the club on getting the best out of him, something that the Suns couldn’t do for whatever reason. Maybe he just isn’t that good or maybe development was an issue for the club
What are you on about...

That’s not my logic at all.

Lmao youre so angry we getting Martin for free. Keep crying hahahaha
If I wanted to spend over 600k on a player from gold coast I'd go and pay a fair price (compared to the contract we are offering) early in trade week and then win 2 of the next 3 flags with that player as a major factor including a bnf

If I wanted to spend over 600k on a player from gold coast I'd go and pay a fair price (compared to the contract we are offering) early in trade week and then win 2 of the next 3 flags with that player as a major factor including a bnf
FMD you'd literally be the shittest list manager hahahaha

It's a lot of money to pay for a player with questionable kicking efficiency imo.
The bloke is just your classic flashy indigenous player with zero consistency.

If Carlton fans think he is some sort of silver bullet for their forward line issues then they are in for a big shock.

Either way for free who wouldn’t do it

The bloke is just your classic flashy indigenous player with zero consistency.

If Carlton fans think he is some sort of silver bullet for their forward line issues then they are in for a big shock.

Either way for free who wouldn’t do it
Ollie Wines is a much better player but SOS told him to gagfd.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 'Play hardball': Mitch Robinson urges the Suns to re-draft Jack Martin

Back