List Mgmt. 'Play hardball': Mitch Robinson urges the Suns to re-draft Jack Martin

Should Gold Coast make a stand and re-draft Jack Martin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am just answering the questions you ask, i have no idea if he was available, i don't think you do either.

Griffen + pick 6 is a big price to pay.
Well don’t you think it’s a bit ridiculous to criticise a club for not trading for Ollie Wines when all reports to him not being available?

We can all guess as to what Wines would cost in a deal but I think it’s common sense to suggest that a club captain clearly content at the Power with a deal running until 2022 wouldn’t have come cheap.

Griffin quit on his club. Completely different situation.

Well don’t you think it’s a bit ridiculous to criticise a club for not trading for Ollie Wines when all reports to him not being available?

We can all guess as to what Wines would cost in a deal but I think it’s common sense to suggest that a club captain clearly content at the Power with a deal running until 2022 wouldn’t have come cheap.

It's rumoured he wants to go back to Vic, and i didn't criticise a club, i answered a question you asked.

I don't think this Wines thing was made up, where there's smoke there's fire. Wines and his management are trying to cover it up as Wines is Port's captain. He definately wanted to leave. The alternative is that someone made the whole thing up which is extremely hard to believe.

I don't think this Wines thing was made up, where there's smoke there's fire. Wines and his management are trying to cover it up as Wines is Port's captain. He definately wanted to leave. The alternative is that someone made the whole thing up which is extremely hard to believe.
If he was so hell bent on leaving then he’d ask for a trade like every other player does I would have thought.

...and despite the Doggies winning their first flag after 60+ years they're still receiving more handouts than Melbourne.
Hang on a minute, I'm not the one throwing stones from a glass house here.

If you're going to call the Gold Coast a crap club, you better support a worthwhile team. You support the biggest joke in the AFL for the last 50 years.

As for the Doggies, one Premiership is better than zero.

Queensland already had a struggling club. The AFL probably should have given Tassie a license instead.
You mean Brisbane? A team that has won 3 flags in the last 20 years? 3 more than Melbourne?

Tassie? It's always the same with you people who don't get it. Crying for a Tasmanian team isn't going to make it a financially viable, certainly not to the same extent the Gold Coast. If the AFL is going to further dilute the talent pool, there better be strong financial benefits.

If the Suns re-draft Martin and he really doesn’t want to be there then he doesn’t have to sign the contract. Sure it means a year out of football but he can take a stand too.

That would suit the Suns perfectly I would have thought. They get to make their point that you have to cough up in a trade and don't have to take on an unhappy player and he still has to go through the draft next year anyway.

As per what the GC list manager stated, Carlton’s offer equaled pick 12 in points. Next years draft has a lot of academy/father son prospects, there will be a lot of teams looking to trade down for points. They could have easily used those picks and got themselves a quality pick in return.

GC were in a position where they felt they could make a stand, but every other team would have taken that deal. They demanded a top 10 draft pick for a player who finished the season in the reserves.

Here’s a question though: Have GC ever lost players for unders (that didn’t have obvious issues)? They took Hawthorn to the cleaners on O’Meara, have they actually ever lost anyone of note for unders to make this Martin stance so necessary? Sure, Freo took them to the cleaners when trading in Weller but in terms of losing quality players cheaply who has there been?

They’ve gambled away picks (and lost) and they have given away good players for free. But where have they lost good players for unders recently?

The Saints took us to the cleaners getting back into the top 10 to take him in the ND if we had to, GC got less than our initial offer in the end.

Tassie? It's always the same with you people who don't get it. Crying for a Tasmanian team isn't going to make it a financially viable, certainly not to the same extent the Gold Coast. If the AFL is going to further dilute the talent pool, there better be strong financial benefits.
Of course Tasmania isn't going to be financially viable. But Gold Coast won't be either, and despite "ThrEe FlaGS iN tWenTy YeaRs" Brisbane aren't exactly showing any "strong financial benefits" either.

Thank you for agreeing with me. No need to "dilute the talent pool" any longer with GC.

Of course Tasmania isn't going to be financially viable. But Gold Coast won't be either, and despite "ThrEe FlaGS iN tWenTy YeaRs" Brisbane aren't exactly showing any "strong financial benefits" either.

Thank you for agreeing with me. No need to "dilute the talent pool" any longer with GC.
No, the Gold Coast will always have potential to thrive, as much as the fact pains you. It's all a matter of time.

In 10 years, I would bet the Gold Coast's place in the competition is a hell of a lot more valuable than the MCC Demons.

Honestly have no idea how the majority of people think it's more beneficial to the Suns, for them to spend significant money on a player who does not want to be there. The price-tag Carlton were offering was nearly pushing it and he actually wants to play for that team. Surely rather than potentially disenfranchising other players, it'd be better for the culture and future to build a team and environment of players that actually want to be there.

Surely the latter would go a far longer way in creating and situation which ensures Rankine, King, Lukosius, Rowell and Anderson stay for 10+ years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Carlton might rise to the dizzy heights of 15th, or more than likely stay in the bottom 3 which is most people's tip.....................

except for those who have been fooled by their end of season dead rubber wins against teams who had checked out for the year.

That’s fine. I think I’ve made it pretty clear what I think of you. My conversation began because you accused the AFL of being “an illogical farce”, but you have been unable to follow that up with any logic whatsoever.

I think I've explained my position pretty clearly and succinctly, particularly the specific area of the league's trade/FA/contract system which is illogical.

Your opposing "argument" pretty much consists of belittling me and generally taking a dismissive, superior tone, as though you "just know better", "just because". Perhaps provide some substance in return, and play the ball and not the man, and others might take you seriously.

Yes, absolutely, 150%. No club bias involved. The current AFL trade and free agency system is a half-arsed farce.

If players leave, it means you haven't done enough to keep them. End of. No fault, no blame, no "neh-neh" to your list manager or "couldn't get a deal done", or any other bullshits excuses. If you lose the player, you lose the player. Let the free list spot(s) and cap space be your 'compensation', use them on other players, re-load, move on. That's how the system should work.

It's a business. Treat it like one. This is the one thing we should copy from American sports, which we puzzlingly don't.
I'll bite.

That clubs should "do enough to keep the players" suggests parity exists between the clubs which is clearly not true. Playing for a marquee (Victorian) club grants more opportunities in life after football. The majority of AFL players come from Victoria. Clearly Victorian clubs would benefit the most from unrestricted free agency.

The current system (flawed as it is) is an equalisation measure. It means clubs get decent compensation (ie: more than salary cap space) so they can become competitive.

I think I've explained my position pretty clearly and succinctly, particularly the specific area of the league's trade/FA/contract system which is illogical.

Your opposing "argument" pretty much consists of belittling me and generally taking a dismissive, superior tone, as though you "just know better", "just because". Perhaps provide some substance in return, and play the ball and not the man, and others might take you seriously.

But you didn’t explain anything at all.
I explained the consequence of your thought bubble. You gave nothing in return and are now trying to distract from the fact that you don’t have a coherent argument by acting offended.
Is this your normal modus operandi? Attack, double down, then sook?

Gold Coast can easily match the money, they should still draft him imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 'Play hardball': Mitch Robinson urges the Suns to re-draft Jack Martin

Back