Remove this Banner Ad

Little bit of an update on the priorities still unsigned thus far

Resign ASAP

1. Cale Hooker
2. Jake Melksham
3. Stewart Crameri
4. Tom Bellchambers
5. Alex Browne

Not fussed if they don't resign (in order of most likely delisting)

1. Travis Colyer
2. Tayte Pears
3. Nick O'Brien
4. Kyle Hardingham
5. Scott Gumbleton
6. Alwyn Davey

Likely gone at year end:
1. David Hille (retired)
2. NLM (retired)
3. Luke Davis (delisted)
4. Jason Winderlich (retired)

I would be open to ANY trades involving ANY of these players (Yes including Crameri, TBC, Gumbleton)
Wow just wow, thank heck your not on the selection commitee,
Winderlich, Pears,Hardingham, Davey will all be there next year, mark my words...
As will Colyer and Gumby unless we decide to trade them out...

Wow just wow, thank heck your not on the selection commitee,
Winderlich, Pears,Hardingham, Davey will all be there next year, mark my words...
As will Colyer and Gumby unless we decide to trade them out...

Re read my post (not fussed if they don't re-sign - in order of most likely delisted) and then my comments after that post ("So would I but it wouldn't surprise me to see him retire should he get another serious injury by years end.")

Maybe I was a little overanxious with him and perhaps should have put him in that second category. At 28, with a history of injuries across his career, one more injury and I can see him pulling the trigger and retiring. But hey, sorry it isn't the group think around here :rolleyes:

Just on Davey, we have seen the TRB's preference for Kommer, Merret and Winderlich. I would hope that our nextgen can start pushing for spots and push Davey out of the side. He won't be delisted per say, but will retire when he isn't getting consistent game time.

Re-sign ASAP

1. Cale Hooker
2. Jake Melksham
3. Stewart Crameri
4. Tom Bellchambers
5. Alex Browne

Not fussed if they don't re-sign (in order of most likely delisting)

1. Travis Colyer
2. Tayte Pears
3. Nick O'Brien
4. Kyle Hardingham
5. Scott Gumbleton
6. Alwyn Davey

Likely gone at year end:
1. David Hille (retired)
2. NLM (retired)
3. Luke Davis (delisted)

I would be open to ANY trades involving ANY of these players (Yes including Crameri, TBC, Gumbleton)

Move Browne to the not fussed section.
They will not be in a hurry to move Davey on and they will try and keep Gumby.
Personally the main list changes for mine will be
Hille(retired)
NLM delisted/retired
Davis delisted
Colyer delisted
Obrien delisted
Pears traded
Browne delisted.

Of course we will have to wait and see what happens on the ASADA front before we delsit anyone.

Move Browne to the not fussed section.
They will not be in a hurry to move Davey on and they will try and keep Gumby.
Personally the main list changes for mine will be
Hille(retired)
NLM delisted/retired
Davis delisted
Colyer delisted
Obrien delisted
Pears traded
Browne delisted.

Of course we will have to wait and see what happens on the ASADA front before we delsit anyone.

If I was to categorically delist players, that would be the exact same list as mine.

Have you managed to catch any VFL games this year?
Just wondering what your thoughts are on Ariel Steinberg. He has improved drastically in his three years with us and on yesterdays game, I would have given him the points in defence against Majak Daw.

If I was to categorically delist players, that would be the exact same list as mine.

Have you managed to catch any VFL games this year?
Just wondering what your thoughts are on Ariel Steinberg. He has improved drastically in his three years with us and on yesterdays game, I would have given him the points in defence against Majak Daw.
Seen us 4 times live plus the TV game.
Personally despite being on record at draft time saying we stuffed up picking him that early i have liked what he has done in the last half of last season and this year.

Anyone thinking of offloading Pears, unless we get something exceptional, has rocks in their head. Pears has come back from 2 major injuries. One which severely effected his foot, one which severely effected his life. Before that people seem to forget that he was the best young defender going round, not just at Essendon. If Fletch goes at the end of the year you have a more than capable, experienced defender who slots in seamlessly.

I would not be surprised if by the end of the year the main question asked of Pears is why haven't we secured him long term.

Anyone thinking of offloading Pears, unless we get something exceptional, has rocks in their head. Pears has come back from 2 major injuries. One which severely effected his foot, one which severely effected his life. Before that people seem to forget that he was the best young defender going round, not just at Essendon. If Fletch goes at the end of the year you have a more than capable, experienced defender who slots in seamlessly.

I would not be surprised if by the end of the year the main question asked of Pears is why haven't we secured him long term.

Not really. Pears has played 4 games this year. 2 have been very good against poor opponents, and the other 2 he's been completely embarrassed. He was fit from those 2 major injuries last year and now should be turning in consistently good performances, which he isn't. He's been living off the reputation of ONE good season 4 years ago. It's time he built on that and so far he hasn't.

If Fletcher retires at the end of the year we'll probably have Hooker and Hurley combining to play his role (Hooker with the third man up and Hurley with the kicking), with Carlisle taking the #1 key forward. If your next excuse is depth, it's called drafting players from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc.

On current output, I would be very surprised.

I think Hardingham is a huge chance to get an offer from another club he cant refuse.
Carlton?

tumblr_lulti283xc1qza249o1_500.png

I wont speculate on who, but i imagine multiple clubs would be interested in his ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. Pears has played 4 games this year. 2 have been very good against poor opponents, and the other 2 he's been completely embarrassed. He was fit from those 2 major injuries last year and now should be turning in consistently good performances, which he isn't. He's been living off the reputation of ONE good season 4 years ago. It's time he built on that and so far he hasn't.

If Fletcher retires at the end of the year we'll probably have Hooker and Hurley combining to play his role (Hooker with the third man up and Hurley with the kicking), with Carlisle taking the #1 key forward. If your next excuse is depth, it's called drafting players from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc.

I would be loathe.

Playing in a fit, firing and settled backline has bought the best out in whipping boys hooker and bageley so I cant see why it wouldn't add to pears confidence as the season progresses. Whilst flexibility is good I wouldn't go sacrificing the setup with two blokes to take the role of one if you invest in a near ready made replacement on your list . I don't recon you've got enough faith. the hierarchy have shown it with the two aforementioned players who where held in even less esteem preseason than pears. ill review it at seasons end but ill back the box to give him confidence and a perm role should fletch going or injury occur.

I would be loathe.

Playing in a fit, firing and settled backline has bought the best out in whipping boys hooker and bageley so I cant see why it wouldn't add to pears confidence as the season progresses. Whilst flexibility is good I wouldn't go sacrificing the setup with two blokes to take the role of one if you invest in a near ready made replacement on your list . I don't recon you've got enough faith. the hierarchy have shown it with the two aforementioned players who where held in even less esteem preseason than pears. ill review it at seasons end but ill back the box to give him confidence and a perm role should fletch going or injury occur.

One supporter would be loathe. Big deal.

Hooker's criticism has always been disposal. When was Baguley ever a whipping boy? Pears hasn't played any good football since 2008. Fact. I do not see where you've sprouted the rest of this shit from. Pears has played 4 games against average at best sides and hs been thrashed in 2. That simply isn't good enough from a player entering his prime

Kevin Walsh, Dean Wallis, ssshhhhhh....give it time...Tayte is going nowhere...

Kevin Walsh, Dean Wallis, ssshhhhhh....give it time...Tayte is going nowhere...

Tayte is a very good chance of going at the end of the year. Only the Pears fanboy's thinking he's not from what I can see.

The only way Pears will be a best 22 player is if the club can get past the notion that he is a key defender because he'll never get in front of Carlisle, Hurley and Hooker. I could see him developing into someone like Corey Enright (obviously you'd couldn't say that he would be that good, you'd have to wait and see). He has the smarts and the mobility to play on the small forwards, especially those like Le Cras that play tall, and also has the ability to hurt oppositions on the redound (something which is much harder to do when you are minding someone like Darling).

I really like it because we'll always have the option of using him in reserve as a key defender in the event it is required. I would be more than open to setting him and Baguley in a battle for the six spot in the back six and using Dempsey off a wing in the next month of footy. While Baguley has the right to the position now I don't see why it should be so by default. He'll have to keep it. Pears has been too good in the VFL to be left there and he worked his way back into the game against seriously good opposition last Thursday night. I reckon that ultimately Pears would be a better player and even more effective small defender than Baguley.

Re-sign ASAP

1. Cale Hooker
2. Jake Melksham
3. Stewart Crameri
4. Tom Bellchambers
5. Alex Browne

Not fussed if they don't re-sign (in order of most likely delisting)

1. Travis Colyer
2. Tayte Pears
3. Nick O'Brien
4. Kyle Hardingham
5. Scott Gumbleton
6. Alwyn Davey

Likely gone at year end:
1. David Hille (retired)
2. NLM (retired)
3. Luke Davis (delisted)

Yoda please mate, Not fussed if Gumby goes or not?
Who replaces Davey as our no. 1 small forward? Are we going to recruit one ( which I Hope), until then Davey gets another year.
Premature retiring of Winderlich?

Yoda please mate, Not fussed if Gumby goes or not?
Who replaces Davey as our no. 1 small forward? Are we going to recruit one ( which I Hope), until then Davey gets another year.
Premature retiring of Winderlich?

I wouldn't be too fussed if Gumby went. Davey is 10th in line if all my premonitions are to come true and very, very unlikely to come true. We do have Merret, Winderlich, Kommer who have all shown they can play that small forward role, whilst another pre season should see that next gen Bombers push their case for senior selection. But as mentioned, it is very, very, very unlikely.
As for Winderlich yeah, probably is a touch premature, but as mentioned in my comments after the quote posted did I admit it was a touch premature.

Yoda or Ant

We still have a rookie elevation up our sleeve - Would Steinberg be the first in line ?

Let's do a bit of a rookie review:

Lauchlan Dalgleish:
The sprint kid who once competed at the Stawel gift. This is his second year on our rookie list and has shown marginal improvement in his time with us. Seems like he will mever be a massive ball winner as he has shown by only averaging 14 possessions across 10 matches this year. 4 handball recieves shows he wants to run and create but I have hardly seen that blistering pace he has, maybe once a game will he genuinely put the afterburners on to get away from opponenets.

He has been entrusted with the kicking in duty such is his sublime footskills (mind you Satuday wasn't his best game but he was among many there). He seems to play the %'s a lot and he looks his best when he is taking the game on both with his long and accurate kicking or his pace to burn. We can keep him for one more year and I would give it to him and see if he can push for senior selection across half back/wing.

Corey Dell'Ollio:
Not the messiah as a small forward as many on here and the other website think he is. Yeah he plays in a forward pocket but is closer to Angus Monfries than Alwyn Davey. His smart goal sense sees him continually hit the scoreboard (18 goals from 10 games in 2012, 23 goals from 11 games in 2013). Get's his hands on the ball and averages 14 possessions a game and applies some tackling pressure averaging 3.5 tackles a game as well.

Has played through the midfield a little bit more in recent weeks to try and gauge his versatility, reportedly to see if it is worth elevating him. Was often stripped of the ball after taking to long evaluating where he was on the ground and where the goals are.

He is clever, and as mentioned hits the scoreboard, might do better with 50+ I50's a game at AFL level rather than the paltry 30 - 40 he is dealing with at VFL level.

Hal Hunter:
'The people's beard made a big impression early on in his time with us but I have hardly seen much improvement in him. Averages 15 possessions a game but it is his work off the ball that people seem to enjoy most. 5.6 tackles a game and the hard hitting blocks and sheppards he puts on. If he were to make it, he will be a defensive player, a tagger, a back pocket player type.

Ariel Steinberg:
I along with many was critical of his recruitment but he was always a long term prospect. Played forward in his initial debut year and managed to kick the most goals of any 1st year AFL listed forward (25 from 18 games).

Was shifted to defence in what we all thought was to further his development but has since become somewhat of a lynchpin back there. He has averaged 16 possessions a game and 6 handball receives. I would like to see him take more contested marks but on Saturday opposed mostly to Majak Daw he clunked 3 - 4 (at a guess 10+ overall).

I'm not sure he would be offered another year, but out of all our 2010 National Draftees he has showed the most improvement (bar Dyson Heppel).

If I were to be looking after out list, I would offer Dalgleish his 3rd year rookie year and the others I would clean out. Our list is now in such good shape that we are now in a position to be having a crack at those speculative rookie picks. I would look at a rookie ruckmen should one last to the rookie draft, a talented small forward and perhaps best available that may include a mature aged player which we have seemed to favour in recent seasons.

That any help? I wouldn't be elevating any of our rookies as I don't think any are going to seriously push for senior selection by years end. (IF ANYONE it'd be Dell who is the most physically ready).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back