List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day if you trade peanuts you get peanuts. For the first time in a long time we have some players of genuine value; bellchambers, gumbleton, pears etc. If we were ever going to trade for that classy speedy outside mid it would be now.

At the end of the day if you trade peanuts you get peanuts. For the first time in a long time we have some players of genuine value; bellchambers, gumbleton, pears etc. If we were ever going to trade for that classy speedy outside mid it would be now.

But who do we trade for then?

I see Luke Parker is un - signed with Sydney

Yoda_ of the small forwards you would look at, who would be up there? Tipungwuti?

I haven't seen any U18 football at all this year bar one Stingrays game.

Purely from names being bantied around, Jay Kennedy - Harris sounds like the player I want. Small creative forward who can crumb off packs and regularly hits the scoreboard. Bit of a leader too, captaining Oakleigh Chargers.

Not too many guys in the VFL I would be watching out for. Dayle Garlett in the WAFL, but we already know that.

One supporter would be loathe. Big deal.

Hooker's criticism has always been disposal. When was Baguley ever a whipping boy? Pears hasn't played any good football since 2008. Fact. I do not see where you've sprouted the rest of this shit from. Pears has played 4 games against average at best sides and hs been thrashed in 2. That simply isn't good enough from a player entering his prime
Mate, if you can do me the courtesy of actually knowing what the fk your talking about Ill happily continue this ripper of a debate but seeing as you don't even know when Pears had his last decent season we can stop here.
If you ever venture a bit further out of this backwater youd be surprised at how many where calling for Bags head at the end of last year. The same ones where after Hooker, and now Pears. We'll see.
If he goes your boy Gregory sounds like he's tearing it up in the twos. Or is depth your excuse for him?

Live in Perth and heard that Cale Hooker and Tayte Pears want to come home. Now that Harry Taylor has signed, I think Fremantle will go for one of them. (Hooker spent an extra few days here since Thursday night). What/ who from Freo would we think is fair trade?
Oh, and Baguley is doing fine and MUST stay.

Mate, if you can do me the courtesy of actually knowing what the fk your talking about Ill happily continue this ripper of a debate but seeing as you don't even know when Pears had his last decent season we can stop here.
If you ever venture a bit further out of this backwater youd be surprised at how many where calling for Bags head at the end of last year. The same ones where after Hooker, and now Pears. We'll see.
If he goes your boy Gregory sounds like he's tearing it up in the twos. Or is depth your excuse for him?

My point still stands. Pears has had one good season. Even in that good season, he finished 2nd in the defenders Coleman, meaning that even when he was playing his best football, he could leak goals. Pears has been a disappointment since his season as a 19 year old, and should be dominating games now that he's entering his prime. Fact is, he's played 4 games this year against average sides at best and has won his position twice. Against a St. Kilda and a GC side who could barely get it over the center circle.

And the people complaining about Baggers were the guys who wondered why he was getting promoted. Nobody was calling for him to be delisted, as most saw him behind Hardingham when competing for that spot. And you're comparing a bloke in his 1st year on the list as an 18 year old who's a project player to a guy in his 6th season, and expected to be a solid contributor at worst? Just shows that you can't accept the fact that he might be on the chopping block at the end of the season.

And if you're asking what we'd do for depth, it's called the draft. You know, where you can use a certain pick to pick up a player. Essendon could pick upa mature-aged recruit to fill the gap that Pears left when we traded him. Do you understand the concept?

Live in Perth and heard that Cale Hooker and Tayte Pears want to come home. Now that Harry Taylor has signed, I think Fremantle will go for one of them. (Hooker spent an extra few days here since Thursday night). What/ who from Freo would we think is fair trade?
Wouldn't mind Walters for Hooker (if Hooker were to go). Don't know if Freo would go for it. Probably not. I also liked the look of Tom Sherridan against Geelong.

Oh, and Baguley is doing fine and MUST stay.

Interstate players always stay back an extra day or two after playing in their home town, and we do have 10 days to our next match.

I'd be very surprised if Hooker leaves - had an opportunity to get a three year contract at the Eagles and backed himself to stay at the Bombers. Think there will be interest in Pears - Not just WA clubs.

I doubt Freo will go for either given their KPD depth. If they went after anybody it would be Gumbleton. I see Pears more of a target for WC if Glass retires and M Brown leaves

Let's do a bit of a rookie review:

Lauchlan Dalgleish:
The sprint kid who once competed at the Stawel gift. This is his second year on our rookie list and has shown marginal improvement in his time with us. Seems like he will mever be a massive ball winner as he has shown by only averaging 14 possessions across 10 matches this year. 4 handball recieves shows he wants to run and create but I have hardly seen that blistering pace he has, maybe once a game will he genuinely put the afterburners on to get away from opponenets.

He has been entrusted with the kicking in duty such is his sublime footskills (mind you Satuday wasn't his best game but he was among many there). He seems to play the %'s a lot and he looks his best when he is taking the game on both with his long and accurate kicking or his pace to burn. We can keep him for one more year and I would give it to him and see if he can push for senior selection across half back/wing.

Corey Dell'Ollio:
Not the messiah as a small forward as many on here and the other website think he is. Yeah he plays in a forward pocket but is closer to Angus Monfries than Alwyn Davey. His smart goal sense sees him continually hit the scoreboard (18 goals from 10 games in 2012, 23 goals from 11 games in 2013). Get's his hands on the ball and averages 14 possessions a game and applies some tackling pressure averaging 3.5 tackles a game as well.

Has played through the midfield a little bit more in recent weeks to try and gauge his versatility, reportedly to see if it is worth elevating him. Was often stripped of the ball after taking to long evaluating where he was on the ground and where the goals are.

He is clever, and as mentioned hits the scoreboard, might do better with 50+ I50's a game at AFL level rather than the paltry 30 - 40 he is dealing with at VFL level.

Hal Hunter:
'The people's beard made a big impression early on in his time with us but I have hardly seen much improvement in him. Averages 15 possessions a game but it is his work off the ball that people seem to enjoy most. 5.6 tackles a game and the hard hitting blocks and sheppards he puts on. If he were to make it, he will be a defensive player, a tagger, a back pocket player type.

Ariel Steinberg:
I along with many was critical of his recruitment but he was always a long term prospect. Played forward in his initial debut year and managed to kick the most goals of any 1st year AFL listed forward (25 from 18 games).

Was shifted to defence in what we all thought was to further his development but has since become somewhat of a lynchpin back there. He has averaged 16 possessions a game and 6 handball receives. I would like to see him take more contested marks but on Saturday opposed mostly to Majak Daw he clunked 3 - 4 (at a guess 10+ overall).

I'm not sure he would be offered another year, but out of all our 2010 National Draftees he has showed the most improvement (bar Dyson Heppel).

If I were to be looking after out list, I would offer Dalgleish his 3rd year rookie year and the others I would clean out. Our list is now in such good shape that we are now in a position to be having a crack at those speculative rookie picks. I would look at a rookie ruckmen should one last to the rookie draft, a talented small forward and perhaps best available that may include a mature aged player which we have seemed to favour in recent seasons.

That any help? I wouldn't be elevating any of our rookies as I don't think any are going to seriously push for senior selection by years end. (IF ANYONE it'd be Dell who is the most physically ready).

Nice summation. Steinberg has really come from nowhere (I was excited by what I was told he could do, the whole Stevie J, Jack Riewoldt cross breed thing) but never really saw him do anything to justify it, although he did look to have good hands and a decent feel for the game on the two occasions I saw him last year. That being said I think he's a keeper for at least a year. On the surface you go, he's a medium/defender, he's behind too many, but, there's a possibility that one of hardingham or Pears goes (hell, maybe they both do?) and fletcher retires, so just on that basis I think he's worth another year,although he has showed that improvement trajectory you want from a rookie.

Out of the other 3, I love what Hunter brings, but we've got so many of his type, so I'd clear him. A 6 man rookie list would probably see me leaning towards keeping him though.

Dell i think belongs on an AFL list, coming off 1 decent preseason he showed (me at least) that he can impact the game, and that'll only grow as he builds a fitness base, the majority of the time his really scrappy grubbers were just due to tiredness I think.
That being said, is he the style of small forward we need? being more a monfries than a davey as you said. I don't think he is, I'd still be inclined to keep, but wouldn't be overly fussed if he went.

Dal i think is an interesting one because he has 2 legit weapons that will clearly translate to the top level (pace and kicking), which you couldn't say about the others
He also happens to fit a positional/role need, in the immediate future, which the others don't. As you said, I think he's a keeper for another year.

All things considered, I'd keep Dal and Steiny. Borderline calls on the other 2, although I wouldn't be keeping both of them, one of them should go for a tall or a crumbing forward.

How's the depth of this year's draft? Last year the talk was the quality leveled off after about pick 40 all the way to the rookie draft. Would it potentially behoove us to keep a 'known' quantity in Hunter or Dell'olio who have a couple of pre-seasons under their feet, rather than a flyer on some kid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tayte is a very good chance of going at the end of the year. Only the Pears fanboy's thinking he's not from what I can see.
Sorry mate, you have rose coloured glasses on, Your boy Sean Gregory will be gone before Tayte, unless someone trades for him he will be 100% required.....Do you remember when Kevin Walsh and Dean Wallis started? Incredibly long apprenticeships with so called supporters bagging them incessantly for years only to be happy slapping backs when they became premiership players...Even Roger Merrett copped it...

Hooker wants to move back to Perth? Pffft. Obviously have not seen his feature on The Hanger a few months ago.

Nice summation. Steinberg has really come from nowhere (I was excited by what I was told he could do, the whole Stevie J, Jack Riewoldt cross breed thing) but never really saw him do anything to justify it, although he did look to have good hands and a decent feel for the game on the two occasions I saw him last year. That being said I think he's a keeper for at least a year. On the surface you go, he's a medium/defender, he's behind too many, but, there's a possibility that one of hardingham or Pears goes (hell, maybe they both do?) and fletcher retires, so just on that basis I think he's worth another year,although he has showed that improvement trajectory you want from a rookie.

Out of the other 3, I love what Hunter brings, but we've got so many of his type, so I'd clear him. A 6 man rookie list would probably see me leaning towards keeping him though.

Dell i think belongs on an AFL list, coming off 1 decent preseason he showed (me at least) that he can impact the game, and that'll only grow as he builds a fitness base, the majority of the time his really scrappy grubbers were just due to tiredness I think.
That being said, is he the style of small forward we need? being more a monfries than a davey as you said. I don't think he is, I'd still be inclined to keep, but wouldn't be overly fussed if he went.

Dal i think is an interesting one because he has 2 legit weapons that will clearly translate to the top level (pace and kicking), which you couldn't say about the others
He also happens to fit a positional/role need, in the immediate future, which the others don't. As you said, I think he's a keeper for another year.

All things considered, I'd keep Dal and Steiny. Borderline calls on the other 2, although I wouldn't be keeping both of them, one of them should go for a tall or a crumbing forward.

How's the depth of this year's draft? Last year the talk was the quality leveled off after about pick 40 all the way to the rookie draft. Would it potentially behoove us to keep a 'known' quantity in Hunter or Dell'olio who have a couple of pre-seasons under their feet, rather than a flyer on some kid?

Dalgleish has showed enough improvement to warrant that final 3rd rookie year and I hope he sticks around. Steinberg is the most interesting one. On face value he should be delisted but his improvement graph has gone on an upwards spiral for the past 18 months and should be rewarded for one final year on the rookie list.

The depth in this years draft you ask? It's suppose to be pretty good for smalls but not a lot of KPP worth looking at and only a small handful of ruckmen at best. We could really fit some positional needs in this years draft and springboard ourselves for an assault on the flag.

Was talking to some Essendon supporters on Saturday and should we be stripped of picks in draft(s), it may actually save a few players from the chopping block as they are "known quantities" instead of speculative late picks where we would be selecting from.

I mean, Hooker could have gone home 7 months ago

and i would have thought a fair few of the WA boys would have stayed a couple of days more in Perth. We've got a 10 day break or whatever

How dare they want to spend a few days with family friends! I know I'd want to if I had almost two weeks to prepare for my next game.

Beat up again and mere rubbish IMO

Sorry mate, you have rose coloured glasses on, Your boy Sean Gregory will be gone before Tayte, unless someone trades for him he will be 100% required.....Do you remember when Kevin Walsh and Dean Wallis started? Incredibly long apprenticeships with so called supporters bagging them incessantly for years only to be happy slapping backs when they became premiership players...Even Roger Merrett copped it...

No, I don't. I can see, from a list management perspective, that Pears is a good chance of going. And good work, bringing up a skinny 18 year old 1st year KPP compared to a guy who's entering his prime :rolleyes:. You just can't accept that one of your favourites is a chance of not being at the club at the end of the year. Do I want Pears to succeed and stay at the club? Of course I do. Can I see it happening? Yes. Do I think it will happen? On current output, no

I'm still not convinced that the club is looking to trade Pears or Gumby, because they are not the players, and we do not have the picks, required to target one of those explosive mids that we need (and Gumby will play his way into the post Fletcher best side). Not to mention that it isn't really our way to trade for anything other than necessity.

There is a growing however, and it appears to be Steinberg. Yoda's recent review of Steinberg's improvement mirrors what I thought I saw in the first month and a bit in the VFL this year. His improvement as a tall defender has been significant and I'd say that he is probably a better body on body, pure tall defender than Pears is (without the other strengths that Pears has). I could see Steinberg being the cover in the key defensive posts that would see us entertain any decent offers for Pears in the event they were forthcoming (much like with Hooker last year).

With Gregory as the ultra long term project player we are probably settled for key defenders with or without Pears.

I'm still not convinced that the club is looking to trade Pears or Gumby, because they are not the players, and we do not have the picks, required to target one of those explosive mids that we need (and Gumby will play his way into the post Fletcher best side). Not to mention that it isn't really our way to trade for anything other than necessity.

There is a growing however, and it appears to be Steinberg. Yoda's recent review of Steinberg's improvement mirrors what I thought I saw in the first month and a bit in the VFL this year. His improvement as a tall defender has been significant and I'd say that he is probably a better body on body, pure tall defender than Pears is (without the other strengths that Pears has). I could see Steinberg being the cover in the key defensive posts that would see us entertain any decent offers for Pears in the event they were forthcoming (much like with Hooker last year).

With Gregory as the ultra long term project player we are probably settled for key defenders with or without Pears.

I'd agree that Gumby and/or Pears should not be going anywhere, however there will be plenty of interest in the two purely giving them the opportunity to play consistent AFL football week in - week out.

Don't get me wrong BrunoV that Steinbergs improvement has been good, he is still a long shot to make it but such as his improvement next year would be his opportunity to push for the post Fletcher backline positions opening up.

Pears is the here and now, Steinberg is the chance and as you mentioned, Gregory is the ultimate long term prospect.

On Gumby, if we can see Daniher being able to play 10+ games next year then perhaps we look at offers from other clubs, however, it'd require us to pick up a developing KPF and look long term as depth.

Hi, can someone please write up a list of Essendon players who are potential trade targets, no matter if you want them to stay or go, if you have any doubt's write them up, im going on every team board to get a accurate list of trade targets, this rules out people thinking an Untouchable or recently signed player is gettable etc, after i get a full list ill return and give you the list. Cheers:thumbsu:

Tom Bellchambers, Scott Gumbleton, Leroy Jetta, Nick O'Brien, Stewart Crameri, Tayte Pears, Jake Melksham, Alex Browne, Ariel Steinberg, Luke Davis, Travis Colyer, Kyle Hardingham, Hal Hunter, Lauchlan Dalgleish and Cory Dell'Olio. Although many of those won't get interest

experiencing second year blues

How can it be second year blues? he never really did much in his first year. Yeh he played 2 games and showed a little bit of knack of being in the right spot at the right time, but consistently it was nothing more.

Also his preseason would show that this cant be second year blues. Its just the traditional over hyped player off nothing from fans and then a maintenance of that level maybe suggesting that he cant improve rapidly and everyone then thinks hes no good.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back