Player Comparison Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a bit off topis but does everyone think that you need to start with a premium mid in your team?
I'm thinking of starting with five mid-priced mids and a rookie. This way I am able to upgrade other areas with the saved money. I have Cox and Pav as captain options and Goddard and Cornes may be reasonable captain choices IMO.
So I'd like to know if anybody else is considering this.

I would say that depends on how much you trust your mid-priced mids to not only deliver their last years average consistently, but more importantly if you believe that they can increase their output and price which will enable you to upgrade some of them to guns later on.

Gun mids score heavily as we all know and imho I would feel more comfortable having at least 2 guns who you know will deliver big week in week out.

If you go in without any premium midfielders you will likely need 5 trades to upgrade your midfield throughout the season, because it's the midfield which piles on the points in the latter half of the season. If you think you can withstand that many trades, go for the cash cows. It's pretty risky.

How about;
Gram and Gilbee These 2 are more likely to improve and have both been rumoured/experemented in the midfield

or

Heath Shaw and McPhee Shaw cant handle a tag as yet and although he will have a few big number games he will also make you want to scratch your own eyes out instead of watching him have a 30point game. McPhee's role is inconsistent IMO

also

Courtney Dempsey

or

Grimes + 15k?

Thought would be appreciated:thumbsu:

Most of the guys in this price range (Raines, JWS, Dempsey, Hurn, Grimes) are only going to be a "hindsight" type of player. All of them have been talked up, 80% of teams will have 1 or maybe more of them but only "hindsight" will give us the answer.

Read what you can about them and take a guess. I hope it pays off for you :thumbsu:

Just my opinion

Any thoughts on these:

1 -Selwood, Grimes + $44k Selwood looks like he could ave 100
2 - Kornes, Grimes + $11k Kornes will ave 100
3 - Lockyer, Haselby + $16k Lockyer is underpriced but not sure by how much.
Both Grimes and Haselby are risks. I personally have Selwood & Lockyer at the moment if that means anything.

and:

Gilbert v Lucas. Lucus might play close to goal this year, i'm not as worried as most about his injury but more to do with the worry that he wont be playing CHF but only out of the goal square but who knows. Im on the Skipworth bandwagon instead of Lucus

Cheers!

In red :)

Cross,S Tuck, Masten, Malceski

or

Corey, Cross, Mackay, Malceski

or

Cross,S Tuck, Mackay, Cornes

Kade Simpson v Danyle Pearce v Chris Masten??

thoughts re value for money and scoring potential...

cheers :cool:

Thanks for all the feedback guys:thumbsu:
That 36 from Boak is a bit of a worry though. Did he have limited TOG for that match against the cats?

^^ Boaky chopped Sydney up the week before. DO NOT READ INTO NAB too much. Have a look on fanfooty at players who score 40,50's who are premiums or keepers. Than when it comes to the real thing they score 80-100's.

Mid price strategy vs Premium/rookie strategy

Waite - Not sure how accountable he will play. Could have cheapies taken off him by Carrazzo and Gibbs when they float back and the addition of Chris Johnson could also hurt his DT score
OR
Gram - May play more midfield, but with Goddard already moving, may not play as much midfield as anticipated. Also not very durable, which in my backline is not a good thing.
OR
Gilbee - Also thought to play more midfield, but having averaged 78.3, 78.6 & 78.6 in the last 3 years, may not have that much improvement left in him as he was already playing the QB/playmaker position
OR
Bate - Another player thought to get more MF time, could have 10+pt improvement in him. However, with some of Melbourne's KPP injured, may not get as much MF time as thought
OR
Brennan - Capable of scoring well, but is also fairly inconsistent. As i am taking some gambles elsewhere in the team, his inconsistency may prove costly.

I currently have 370k left to spend on one position. Im willing to move Houlihan into the forward line so the last player can be either a back or a forward.

Also what are people's thoughts on Raines v Grimes?

Constructive thoughts with reasons would be appreciated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on averaging 91 last yr and increased midfield time/TOG this year

And?

There is no real indication that he is guaranteed increased TOG. There have also been some posts backing up that he could in fact get a tag this year, how this would affect his scores who knows. I'm sure he'll increase his average but I'm not confident he'll average 100 this year.

He may well average 100 though.

Selwood looks liek he'll average 100 based on what though? :confused:

first year AVE 85 last year 91. Between RD's 14-19 he ave 33 disposals. If he can improve his goal kicking (ave 40% last year), he would improve to 100ppg if he did everything else the same as last year.

So if he only improves his shots on goal he "should" do well.

In his pre AFL days he was a MAGNET!! I watched him play club football and he just knew where to find it.

IF Corey goes to QB he will be the first to get more TOG.

Jared Brennan-Has been inconsistent in the past but looks like he'll play in the midfield this year more than previous years and may start scoring well consistently.
or
Colin Sylvia-Don't know much about Sylvia. He's a top 5 draft pick and also looks like getting alot of MF time but my worry is that he's playing for the worst team in the AFL.

first year AVE 85 last year 91. Between RD's 14-19 he ave 33 disposals. If he can improve his goal kicking (ave 40% last year), he would improve to 100ppg if he did everything else the same as last year.

So if he only improves his shots on goal he "should" do well.

In his pre AFL days he was a MAGNET!! I watched him play club football and he just knew where to find it.

IF Corey goes to QB he will be the first to get more TOG.

All valid points. As I said, he could very well do this but there are no real clear indications as of yet.

He has also bulked up a bit, although his body size has never really been a problem.

Still tossing up whether to have Joel or to go for a proven 100+ player.

Decisions!

Cross, Drummond, Hasleby, Rance (bench)

vs
Swan, Grimes, T.Tuck, Hill (bench)

Option 1 potentially gives me another keeper (Drummo), but option 2 gives me a better back reserve. Thoughts? Cheers.

Raines for me.
Cheaper and more mature and looks like he's slipped right into the team as Grimes is still learning and is way over priced.

hes more expensive by like $2k.
Also more injury prone which you just killed Gram for (Despite him playing 64 out of 66 games as pointed out above). Raines played 2 games last year.

Grimes is in a team where the backs will get alot of the ball, hes cheap and has massive raps. Has shown he can rackup huge scores. My grip is hes only played 1 AFL game and hasnt got a definate spot in Melbournes 22.

Personally I think they are both similar risks. And each person should continue to watch them till Rnd 1 before making a choice on one or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back