Players cut/dropped from premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

stmookeyj said:
1993: Derek KICKETT (ESS), Omitted-You can watch both that year's Qualifying and Preliminary finals online to make your own judgement about form.
The most annoying thing about Derek Kickett's omission was more the guy that came in for him- Tim Watson. Watson had been injured (from what I remember) but hadnt exactly set the world alight in any of the games he played that year, and was only in the GF to justify Sheedy bringing him out of retirement. Kickett hadnt had great matches in the finals, but had had excellent games in the last few H/A games, and thouroughly deserved his spot in the flag side.

Nice one Sheeds (although he has admitted it was a huge mistake):thumbsdown:

whippersnipper said:
The most annoying thing about Derek Kickett's omission was more the guy that came in for him- Tim Watson. Watson had been injured (from what I remember) but hadnt exactly set the world alight in any of the games he played that year, and was only in the GF to justify Sheedy bringing him out of retirement. Kickett hadnt had great matches in the finals, but had had excellent games in the last few H/A games, and thouroughly deserved his spot in the flag side.

Eh?

Watson's 1993 Minor Round

12 Games, 17.41 DPG, 20 Goals

Watson's 1993 Finals Series

vs. Carlton: 17 disposals, 3 goals
vs. West Coast: 8 disposals, 1 goal
vs. Adelaide: 18 disposals, 2 goals - including the famous sealer :(
vs. Carlton: 3 disposals

Kickett's 1993 Minor Round

20 Games, 12.70 DPG, 37 Goals

Kickett's 1993 Finals Series

vs. Carlton: 8 disposals
vs. West Coast: 2 disposals
vs. Adelaide: 5 disposals, 1 goal

Nothing in those statistics suggests to me that dropping Kickett was the wrong decision - especially given the result - and DK's omission had nothing to do with Watson's selection anyway.

wazzabp said:
Matthew Armstrong was another, I think Stuart Anderson made a recovery from injury and was put into the side in place of Matthew Armstrong.

Very harsh decision that one....especially considering Stuey Anderson had pretty much ZERO impact on the game.

GoYouBlues said:
Who was the full forward who John Cahill dropped to make way for Scott Hodges? The bloke played a lot of the year - maybe it was when Hodges was playing for the Crows - I can't remember the details. Anyway, Port Adelaide went on to win the premiership.

I'm pretty sure it was Mark Tylor

I got left out of West Newcastle reserves in the 1987 NAFL winning granny side after playing every game - does that count?

(not that I'm bitter)

(bloody seniors being dropped back)

grrrrrr

whippersnipper said:

Dean Wallis replaced Kickett, while Mark Harvey replaced Flood. Watson missed rounds 19 and 20 but came back into the side for the first week of the finals.

Did Mitchell White really get dropped in 1994? Why, wasn't he in his prime?
I hope Armstrong doesn't get the boot this week.

tara!! said:
Dean Wallis replaced Kickett, while Mark Harvey replaced Flood. Watson missed rounds 19 and 20 but came back into the side for the first week of the finals.

Wallis was always going to play though.

Came down to a decision between Watson, Kickett and Hills for the last two spots.

bac said:
I'm pretty sure it was Mark Tylor

Yeah, it was - SANFL leading goalkicker in 1992 and 1993.

Broke his hand late in 1992 and was obviously struggling.

Story I've heard is that there was no love lost between Scotty and Tylor. They got into a blue and Tylor clocked him one - broke his hand on Scotty's thick noggin!

Anyway, come finals time, Tylor missed out and Scotty went to full-forward where he kicked six in the GF against Glenelg.

FWIW, Tylor did eventually play in a premiership team in 1994. In the back pocket!

Remove this Banner Ad

Players cut/dropped from premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back