Players of the next decade

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are an astute footy observer so I wan't you to take this in.

Bailey's first season was 2008. The playing list was deplorable. A game plan was built around an ageing Neitz whose body was RS. The midfield was rooted. The players remaining lacked strength and speed, there was little leadership on the field and our skill level was absolutely deplorable. Try as you might you cannot build a game plan with these resources. We could not win a clearance and as said our skills were atrocious so any game plan simply could not be implemented. You can try and limit the damage by pushing numbers back which he did a few times in 08 but not so much in 09.

Last year with some different and younger personell the game plan became evident. If you didn' see it evolve I can only assume that you saw very little of our club. If your basing your assessment on the game we played against you guys that was one of our worst for the year.

I will tell you what I know about Bailey.

His mandate has been to clean the playing list up and get the personell capable of implementing a game plan firstly

Have a look at who we have recruited and you will see that we have definitely concentrated on mids with leg speed and skills. He favours a run and carry game plan where possession is maintained with good skill level. Even the Rucks and KPPs we have picked up are speedy skilled types.

The rebound from defence was actually fairly good last year, the back half tended to hold our best decision makers and strongest bodies. The run and carry from defence would work ok, unfortunately our midfield lacked the developed run and carry personell and the forward line was largely inefficient.

Good post. Cheers for that.

Recruiting half a dozen first round draft picks doesn't take a genius recruiter - see Carlton.

Facts are in Bailey's first 2 seasons the Dees finished bottom and in his third season there is every chance the Dees will finish bottom again. He can hide behind the youth excuse as much as he likes, truth is only 1 club has won a premiership from completely rebuilding their list from bottoming out - Hawthorn.

Let's not go overboard.

The nucleuas of that team - Mitchell, Hodge, Bateman, Sewell, Croad - were all in place before the rebuild.

I think the question should be, post what Bailey has done to show he can coach.

My feeling is our clubs will finish at a similar distance in 2010 as they did in 2009.

No you are the one questioning his credentials

Please provide alternatives to the plan implemented by Bailey.

I will help you.

A) Continue working with the ageing list he inherited. A list that had far too many players not of the required skill level.

B) Clean out the list but rather than bring in youth, trade and draft a mix of young and experienced players.

C) Any other alternative you would like to suggest.

No you are the one questioning his credentials

Please provide alternatives to the plan implemented by Bailey.

I will help you.

A) Continue working with the ageing list he inherited. A list that had far too many players not of the required skill level.

B) Clean out the list but rather than bring in youth, trade and draft a mix of young and experienced players.

C) Any other alternative you would like to suggest.

I have no alternatives for Bailey for the path he's chosen, he did what he had to. He preferred to to take the easy road to keep his job, blame the list and tank. Now, I've answered your question, you answer mine. What has Bailey done to show he can coach?

Good posting mfc150. The Donners is just trolling so I wont bother with him other than to say you will struggle to find a single MFC supporter who would swap Bailey for Knights (or for many current coaches for that matter) - even though I think Knights has surpassed most peoples expectations with the job he's done so far.

SLF Ive seen some good posts from you around the place so Ill give it another go. I think I was fair as far as philosophy and values goes.

As far as game day tactics, I agree as much as I think we are yet to see Baileys full repertiore. As I said years 1 & 2 were largely about epxosing youth to more gametime and different positions, not to mention there was minimal reward available for actually winning games this year which is why at times he may have appeared to lack direction/system.

Tactically he has so far seemed to favour speed and ball use from defence, strong foot skills to move the ball forward, and smart decisions from defence/half back. Beleive it or not our backline is actually shaping pretty well already. Retaining posession from defence via multiple runners and handball without kicking long to contests has been a feature.

His next tasks will be improvement at winning the ball from stoppages (which should come partly from recent recruits and a decent ruckman) and then to develop a potent forward line. Flexibility in his players also seems to be a theme - he tends to give most players a run in several different roles.

Put it this way- we have a much greater future than the toigs.

Yeah but that's like saying 'I've got a better chance with the ladies than that bloke who his face and tool ripped off in an industrial accident."

SLF, let's not forget that the Demons added some quality to their list after they tanked for 2 seasons. Nothing to brag about, really. :thumbsdown:

SLF Ive seen some good posts from you around the place so Ill give it another go. I think I was fair as far as philosophy and values goes.

Ah, you flatter!

As far as game day tactics, I agree as much as I think we are yet to see Baileys full repertiore. As I said years 1 & 2 were largely about epxosing youth to more gametime and different positions, not to mention there was minimal reward available for actually winning games this year which is why at times he may have appeared to lack direction/system.

Which is to be entirely expected.

Tactically he has so far seemed to favour speed and ball use from defence, strong foot skills to move the ball forward, and smart decisions from defence/half back. Beleive it or not our backline is actually shaping pretty well already. Retaining posession from defence via multiple runners and handball without kicking long to contests has been a feature.

Good stuff. Interestingly, most reports from North report Brad Scott is doing similar. Might just be pre season for us, but you've seen it in sdenior game time. I can certainly see how Scully/Trengove would fit into that. Hoping Watts can be on the end I assume is the plan.

His next tasks will be improvement at winning the ball from stoppages (which should come partly from recent recruits and a decent ruckman) and then to develop a potent forward line. Flexibility in his players also seems to be a theme - he tends to give most players a run in several different roles.

Probably trying everybody out while he can.

Cheers for the reply.

Nobody would slag Bailey for having to work with what he did (take that in the spirit its meant)

Am fascinated to see how he works with what he's now got.

In some regards, worst job going in footy - SO much pressure to deliver on high picks now everybody is convinced that delivers flags in itself.

Off the top of my head, probably missed a few obvious ones but here's my attempt:

MID:

Trent Cotchin: Some will say I'm only being richmond bias but no matter what team you support you can't deny this kid has serious talent. Could well be in the league's top 3 players one day. Many good young midfielders around but this kid will be something special if he can get his body right.

Other contenders: Selwood, Rich, Gibbs, Ziebell, Rioli,

RUCK:

Matt Kruezer: Extremely mobile and very capable anywhere on the ground he could become a damaging 200cm midfielder similar to Cox. Add to this the fact he can play forward and I think he will be the most dangerous bigman in the comp once he fills out and is fully developed.

Other contenders: Naitanui, Clark,

FORWARD:

Kurt Tippet: Tried to stay away from the obvious in Franklin*, and in doing so found this one the hardest. Many of the young potentially great forwards haven't really played enough games or shown enough consistently however this guy should be a 50+ goal forward until he retires.

Other contenders: Roughead, Watts, Hawkins,

*Think he will be the best for a while yet, but we all know this so I'l make another prediction

BACK:

Michael Hurley: Many contenders for this position however this guy has been very good early and shown a lot at both ends. Will be a gun either forward or back and learning from Dustin Fletcher he could be an excellent defender.

Other contenders: Pears, Frawley, Rance,

I will have a crack

Mids: Martin,Swift,Morobito,J.Selwood,Rich,Ziebiel,Masten,Palmer,Dangerfield.

Forwards:Tippett,Butcher,Hawkins,Rioli and Higgins(small fwds)Watts.

Backs:Hurley,M.Brown,Shoenmaker

Rucks:Kruezer,Natanui,R. Stanley,Cordy.

Versatile players:S Hill.

Obviosly missed a few but there is a few names of guys I think will do really well for there teams.Might be abit biased towards West Coast!!:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will have a crack

Mids: Martin,Swift,Morobito,J.Selwood,Rich,Ziebiel,Masten,Palmer,Dangerfield.

Forwards:Tippett,Butcher,Hawkins,Rioli and Higgins(small fwds)Watts.

Backs:Hurley,M.Brown,Shoenmaker

Rucks:Kruezer,Natanui,R. Stanley,Cordy.

Versatile players:S Hill.

Obviosly missed a few but there is a few names of guys I think will do really well for there teams.Might be abit biased towards West Coast!!:)

You know what a good call is, name the 2020 All Australian team.

Tactically he has so far seemed to favour speed and ball use from defence, strong foot skills to move the ball forward, and smart decisions from defence/half back.
Ah, interesting.
Most coaches tend to favour slow guys who turn it over from defence, poor foot skills and moving it sideways, and crap decisions everywhere on the field.
It'll be interesting to see which your approach pays off.
Rebounding from half-back is the new black and I don't think it takes a genius to chase that.

On a slightly less sarcastic note, it's bloody hard to see what (if any) tactical approach Bailey has... he was recruited as a highly rated development coach. I thought at the time this was a move for the long-term health of the list, rather than wins on the board, and no bad thing. As you say, his mandate.

really looking forward to the rucks play it out over the next decade, nicnat, kreuzer and leuenberger.

out of the mids cant go past sidebottom, dangerfield, cotchin, rioli, hill and rich. if you look at these guys (and others) who would you vote to have the most possessions for the decade? my money would be on sidebottom. however the circus acts of rioli, dangerfield and co will be a great show to watch.

the dominant forwards for the decade will be between adelaide and hawthorn.

the dominant backs? well who gives a toss really.

"Hallmark"?

I cannot exactly remember that. My memory serves me with a dubious free kick- not a "huge mark" as you suggest. Nonetheless, an awesome conversion and a star of the future.

There should only be 1 name dominating this thread...

Lance Franklin.

Clostest thing to "megastar" as you will get by 2020.

Thank you..

I laugh at the Kurt Tippet love-in in this thread, and note they are 3 months apart in age...

And the differential is currently had Buddy 233 goals, 1 Coleman and One Premiership ahead..

Its all here folks...
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1750&tid2=11&pid2=1488&type=T&fid1=C&fid2=C

Jealously is a curse.

Put it this way- we have a much greater future than the toigs.

That takes care of the "let's bag Richmond" post that is a must in every thread.

Was going along quite lovely until that point.

I knew it had to be coming though.:D

I rate Rioli-who wouldn't.

Pace and skill and vision.

Biased view=Cotchin.

Every time I see this kid play,I get soo excited.

A player that possesses so much natural ability.

Thank you..

I laugh at the Kurt Tippet love-in in this thread, and note they are 3 months apart in age...

And the differential is currently had Buddy 233 goals, 1 Coleman and One Premiership ahead..

Its all here folks...
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1750&tid2=11&pid2=1488&type=T&fid1=C&fid2=C

Jealously is a curse.

if you don't think Buddy has plenty to prove this season, then I don't know what to tell you. An amazing talent, one of the best in years. But don't kid yourself that this guy is on a linear career path.

you can say it was injury, you can say it was off field distractions, call it a combination if you like, but you cannot say Buddy did not go backwards last season and everyone is looking to see if he's heading back towards a HoF career or an early flameout.

if you don't think Buddy has plenty to prove this season, then I don't know what to tell you. An amazing talent, one of the best in years. But don't kid yourself that this guy is on a linear career path.

you can say it was injury, you can say it was off field distractions, call it a combination if you like, but you cannot say Buddy did not go backwards last season and everyone is looking to see if he's heading back towards a HoF career or an early flameout.

Yep and Tippet seems to be on the right career path for a huge one.

I've always said that when people compare Carey and Franklin they forget that Carey had done two shoulders by the time he was Franklin's and then played his best footy AFTER doing another one.

Be interesting to see how Franklin came back from a bad knee etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players of the next decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back